Class 116/118 DMU

TravisM

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 19:28, D6975 said:

The 116 has a different arrangement of windows in the section of the body immediately behind the driver's cab.  The first 'big' window on a 116 is smaller than the one on a 117.

I am not sure about that. I thought those windows were the same.

• Agree 2

Mark might be right, all I know is that to do a 116 from a Lima 117 you have to make the window smaller.  It is probable that this is an error on the Lima 117, rather than 117s having a different window size.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

MS and MBS were originally to all intents and purposes identical across the three classes apart from the cabs, of which there were 2 variants on 116 and the different headcode boxes on 117/8, and the rectangular buffers on 118s.

116 cabs were an early type with a 2 character headcode display mounted centrally below the central cab window with marker lights to each side, then a version without the 2 character headcode box and four marker lights, two in the same position as the earlier type plus one centrally mounted where the headcode display would have been and the fourth above the destination indicator box above the cab on the domed roof end.  

Edited by The Johnster