SMP/Marcway copperclad turnout review

hayfield

Philip

The Set is a sharp bend (rather than a curve just before the tip of the switch rail on the curved stock rail, it allows the switch rail which has a straight blade at that point to sit in gauge with the straight stock rail. If there was a curve from this point the switch rail would not sit flush with the rail

web-RH-Switches.jpg

From left to right, the rail up to the first timber is straight on the curved stock rail, in gauge with the straight stock rail

Just to the left of the first slide plate you will see a bend in the rail, this is the SET 

From the SET on the C switch the switch rail is clear , both switch and the curved stoch rails are straight and the gauge is kept with the straight stock rail

After the clear section you will see the stock rail curve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a photo to show the position of the bend (called a"set") in the diverging-side stock rail:

stock_rail_rea.jpg

It allows the tapered end on the switch blade to sit against the stock rail and maintain the correct track gauge from the opposite stock rail, which is plain rail.

If you omit the set, and simply curve the rail, the switch blades will have to be made very long and thin at the tip, and will not open properly.

An easy way to make the set bend is:

2_041840_270000000.png

For reasons unknown to me, the set is frequently omitted from published track templates, and not mentioned in books and articles on track-building. Despite being very obvious in prototype photographs, as shown above. The position of the set is clearly marked on Templot templates.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Thanks to you all that gave the detailed reply - I was unaware of the SET, it was the first time that I had seen it mentioned. I was, however, aware of the 'joggle' beloved of the GWR which achieves the same result, but in a different manner. Seemingly, the SET is easier to recreate in a model form!

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Philou said:

Thanks to you all that gave the detailed reply - I was unaware of the SET, it was the first time that I had seen it mentioned. I was, however, aware of the 'joggle' beloved of the GWR which achieves the same result, but in a different manner. Seemingly, the SET is easier to recreate in a model form!

Cheers,

Philip

I agree... wasn’t it known as a twoggle or something?  I read that you could use a vice to ‘press’ a kink into the rail to form a rebate for the point blade. That’s what I used in my previous (and limited) point constructions but I wasn’t very happy with them. Additionally, the use of a diagram really does the trick IMHO

Griff

11 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Thanks for posting the step by step. I am planning to play around with building a few turnouts. May I ask where to obtain the crossing filing jig?

The crossing jigs are available from either the EM Gauge Society or the Scalefour Society, members only or at their own shows. On extremely rare occasions on eBay

The most popular one has 1- 5, 6, 7  & 8 crossing angles, I think about £35 + postage, there is another one with 9-12 crossing angles and a switch blade jig both I think £40 ish + postage

If you are building a layout with a few turnouts a very good investment and cam be resold on eBay for not much of a loss 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, griffgriff said:

I agree... wasn’t it known as a twoggle or something?  I read that you could use a vice to ‘press’ a kink into the rail to form a rebate for the point blade. That’s what I used in my previous (and limited) point constructions but I wasn’t very happy with them. Additionally, the use of a diagram really does the trick IMHO

Griff

Grif

The GWR was best known for the joggle, relatively easy to replicate in a vice with a couple of bits of metal shim.

You still have the set bend with the joggle or similar as you need a straight transition from the stock to switch rails 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

The crossing jigs are available from either the EM Gauge Society or the Scalefour Society, members only or at their own shows. On extremely rare occasions on eBay

The most popular one has 1- 5, 6, 7  & 8 crossing angles, I think about £35 + postage, there is another one with 9-12 crossing angles and a switch blade jig both I think £40 ish + postage

If you are building a layout with a few turnouts a very good investment and cam be resold on eBay for not much of a loss 

Thanks John that's much appreciated. I'll try and get to one of the shows if I'm not working. If not this year then next if Warley* is still off this year. Hopefully not but lets see what Covid pukes up next.

*I'm guessing the EMGS/Scalefour wouldn't miss that one

14 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Thanks John that's much appreciated. I'll try and get to one of the shows if I'm not working. If not this year then next if Warley* is still off this year. Hopefully not but lets see what Covid pukes up next.

You can join the EMGS for £25 a year, and you get access to the online shop, not just the jigs that are a bargain.

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Sorry if I have mislead you, they only take their stores to their own shows, the entrance fee makes you a member for the day, this way you have access to their stores. I am certain those manning the stand will be pleased to see you, but other than a bit of free advice or selling you a membership, or just having a nice chat. They cannot sell you anything

As said the membership is quite reasonable and if you are going to consider track building they sell Exactoscale parts which are below C&L prices. The Exactoscale turnout timber strip at £2 a sprue are in themselves so cheap, I think rail is under £10 for 10 yards  etc 

• RMweb Premium

The EMGS shows are Bracknell in May and somewhere up North, the last one in '19 and the '20 if it had happened were in Wakefield in September.  The Scaleforum shows are normally April in Wakefield and September in Aylesbury, but the Aylesbury location may be changing. Both shows are Saturday and Sunday affairs.

Just received a delivery from SMP of pcb strip and pre cut sleepers. The pre cut sleepers have always been excellent, but I am so pleased to see they have adopted the same manufacturing process for the pcb strips. I use the 1.2mm thick version and the edges of each strip are very clean with no burrs whatsoever. They are single sided glass fibre and break off very easily from the main sheet. There are 25 sleeper strips per main sheet and I have to say the quality is excellent.

One happy punter......who needs some new garden furniture.....;)

DSCF1467.jpg.e5f47e525031fc0198081b1e6a689762.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gordon s said:

Just received a delivery from SMP of pcb strip and pre cut sleepers. The pre cut sleepers have always been excellent, but I am so pleased to see they have adopted the same manufacturing process for the pcb strips. I use the 1.2mm thick version and the edges of each strip are very clean with no burrs whatsoever. They are single sided glass fibre and break off very easily from the main sheet. There are 25 sleeper strips per main sheet and I have to say the quality is excellent.

One happy punter......who needs some new garden furniture.....;)

DSCF1467.jpg.e5f47e525031fc0198081b1e6a689762.jpg

They look good. My last batch, a few years ago, were the individual paxolin strips and the width varied slightly.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the review. Marcway are a very good way to get used to turnout building. The shop in Sheffield is worth a visit. Nice fellas and a well stocked, traditional shop. I got some 2mm pcb strip from them for making tie bars in 7mm.

I also made my own jig for V measuring from a bit of timber and 4 screws. I got the idea from an Gauge O Guild video on You Tube. I believe it can be found by searching 'Gauge O Guild turnout'. The principle in any scale is the same. Here are some of my turnouts built with 4x roller gauges, C&L rail, chairs and timbers. I've used Templot templates. All blades, Vee's and wing rails are homemade using homemade, simple jigs. Each turnout takes about 4 hours and probably costs about £15?

These are all C8's (around 600mm long):

IMG_20210121_144813.jpg.71185c40d719f7a1c7b5de352e7f4f3d.jpg

IMG_20210123_121415.jpg.d51666f0d853eb9a6e117199caa3161d.jpg

IMG_20210123_121445.jpg.5a3b740c7954b16ab0aa8bf41cb35cd8.jpg

This is my first attempt at turnout construction in this way. It just takes a 'give it a go and see' approach. 

Cheers

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice work Woody.  I have built a number of 7mm turnouts using Peco chairs and wooden timbers (more than I needed actually but I couldn't settle on a track plan for a long time).  I don't have any formal jigs either.  Vees are made by nailing scraps of copperclad strips at the appropriate angle.

I started in 00 making copperclad turnouts for the club layout.  10 years or so on these are still in service.

John

• Like 2

Now is time to finish the turnout starting with the switch blades

308.jpeg.281bff06d8409fd7bcaacbe40c035cd1.jpeg309.jpeg.6219239364bfdfb87b6f7f9c275b2fbe.jpeg

Using the EMGS switch blade jig, you do not necessarily need one, just makes life easier. Left both blades in the jig, left the rear of the blades are filed down

310.jpeg.fc40a9660db774f87a6dce757b00a81f.jpeg

The switch blades are turned over, the second block sits on the switch rails feet, this allows you to file the heads. both prototypical, but more importantly gives the solder extra metal to grip on to

311.jpeg.9c2b91468ab9b08887a4ca23a62a9153.jpeg312.jpeg.878c2311b37eb484d5ac8c505a06e394.jpeg

Switch rails are next using roller gauges to hold the rail in place and to gauge

313.jpeg.fdf1d3f9e217eee7ad2df0c47ff79db4.jpeg

The check rails are made and fitted, plus a simple tiebar is also made and fitted

These are nice and simple kits to build which are a good introduction to track building, verdict its a pity they are so difficult to obtain and given the price of the kits postage is a bit harsh.

Buy a larger kit and use Templot templates. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/01/2021 at 14:32, hayfield said:

Sorry if I have mislead you, they only take their stores to their own shows, the entrance fee makes you a member for the day, this way you have access to their stores. I am certain those manning the stand will be pleased to see you, but other than a bit of free advice or selling you a membership, or just having a nice chat. They cannot sell you anything

As said the membership is quite reasonable and if you are going to consider track building they sell Exactoscale parts which are below C&L prices. The Exactoscale turnout timber strip at £2 a sprue are in themselves so cheap, I think rail is under £10 for 10 yards  etc 

That's ok. Hopefully once this chaos ends I'll make it to one of those shows. Luckily Aylesbury is roughly an hour away down the M40 so not too much hassle

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

That's ok. Hopefully once this chaos ends I'll make it to one of those shows. Luckily Aylesbury is roughly an hour away down the M40 so not too much hassle

I was on the phone to  Brian at 247 Developments and he has told me that Scaleforum will be in High Wycombe this September, providing that the plague doesn't get it cancelled again.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I was on the phone to  Brian at 247 Developments and he has told me that Scaleforum will be in High Wycombe this September, providing that the plague doesn't get it cancelled again.

Excellent news. Still this side of London at least. That plague has a lot to answer for.