Choices, Scalescences, Skaledale, Metcalfe and laser cut,

Hi, 

planning a layout, and really stumped on which company to go with for houses, the skaledale range is probably out of me price range for more than a couple, the scalescenes range looks the best IMHO, but seems more involved to build than Metcalfe as you need to stick the pages to your own card. the laser cut buildings look good but are pricier. What are peoples thoughts pn the various ranges? 

TIA  

Hi, scalescenes are excellent but as you say more involved than metcalfe. However metcalfe can be improved by detailing and weathering to make them a little more unique rather than ubiquitous. Scalemodelscenery also do some very good kits and are worth a look too. 

Edited by Chrisr40
Naming
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Metcalfe are very good kits, easy to build but very common and popular.  Scalescenes gets my vote as in my opinion are in between Metcalfe and scratchbuilding. I have several of their building kits on my layout.

I think buildings are an evolutionary process for the modeller.  If you haven't done card kits before, Scalescenes may be a bit much to start with.  There are free starter kits so you want to have a look at that.

I recall eons ago that I started with Superquik and Metcalfe.  These make good looking buildings and can be upgraded by the builder.  The main thing is to get a feel for card building then move up. 

As Ian says, Scalescenes are close to scratchbuilding.  Another range that I quite liked are the Wills Craftsman kits.  These kits contain Wills plastic material sheets and templates.  The builder has to cut the sheets to the right pattern and put it all together.  Again, quite close to scratchbuilding.

I'm doing 7mm, however a fair number of my layout buildings are blown up Scalescenes kits.  You can see these in the layout link below. 

I will also give a shout out to Lcut.  The range is extensive and well priced for laser cut.  You can build them out of the box or embellish them.

John

Edited by brossard

scalescene are good as you can change the look of them . A bit of scratch building helps. Metcalfe they seem to be on most layouts  .  Don't go with the flow make your layout look diffrent.

Edited by crompton 33
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It depends on what you are looking for. If Metcalfe have what you want and you want a lot then this will be the quickest way to go about it. If you want to modify or cost is more of an issue than time then Scalescenes are the way forward. 

I do agree with others in saying that Scalescenes have the edge in terms of appearance.