Underside weathering a Loco

Can anyone recommend a good paint that looks decent for "dirtying" up the underside of locos and coaches . Just enough to take the shiny black that the models come in. Am trying to take that ex works sheen off. I've managed to make the bodysides look half decent but haven't a clue on paint for the underframes, any help appreciated....

I normally use a mix of browns, greys and blacks mixed randomly on a piece of old plastic to give a general random wash as a base  to which more subtle effects can be applied.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Thanks 1

I should add that what I am mixing is probably my own "frame dirt" . However by varying the mix of the colours on the palette,  the base wash can vary in shade and intesity of colouring subtly across the undeframe. A consistent colour it is not.

My usual clours to mix are matt black, rust, light brown, an earth colour and  maybe a more chocolatey colour with some light grey in case things get too dark.

This method can also be used to add more subtle effects after the base wash has dried.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As rob D2 says above, Railmatch Frame Dirt, or Sleeper Grime; Lifecolor Frame Dirt; Humbrol Matt Leather mixed with Matt Black; Revell Dark Earth mixed with Charcoal; matt varnish followed by dark umber pigment; matt varnish followed by light earth pigment; variations of 'dirty' colours as recommended by SM42.

Look at photographs of your chosen subject and compare the colours you see with the colour charts that paint manufacturers produce. Try a few different ones until you find the one(s) that you like.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I make my own using acrylic greys, browns and plenty of thinners. I keep a pot ready and just top up as necessary. Never the same mix, just get it so it look 'right'.

5 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

I'd suggest spraying a layer of matt varnish on first, before going near with any colour !

Cheers,

Phil.

The varnish is a good idea and can make a big difference on it's own.

However I don't  normally varnish first. Too lazy to dismantle the model or mask up. ( keep any varnish well away from glazing)

This is straight onto factory plastic finish (cruel close up)

20210110_164954.jpg.cf236a35c442ec3b5c2d592b9d7b928a.jpg

If using powders  I would definitely use a matt varnish first unless I have used a matt paint first.

Some older models  especially Lima's soapy plastic under frames ( class 117 DMU especially) I think would benefit but in the end no harm in trying.

See what gives you the results you are looking for.

You can always overpaint the underframe black and start again.

Andy

Edited by SM42

Look at photos of locos, wagons, coaches. They all weather differently. Don't go down the road of slapping a single colour on and thinking it looks realistic. Grime builds up over time with different "crap" sticking to different bits of the underframe (oil, brake dust, ballast dust etc.). You should try to replicate that by applying a little , walking away and coming back later with a different colour mix. Traffic is also a consideration; aggregate weathering looks very different to coal weathering.

• Like 1