Where to add power please

Hi,

I am building another small up and down layout using two tracks. The upper will be DC and sometimes DCC so I have something to photograph new DCC locos (I don't have a home layout but just a round and round test track for running in)

The bottom will be exclusively DC but I want to add a passing loop and some sidings of sorts. It is loosely based on the Melbourne Military Railway during WWII, so there will be elements of the bridge building course appearing on it, the river trent, Ashby tunnel and a pontoon and Bailey type bridges. 

My questions is, is my planned layout going to work ok and are the areas I feel I should add power correct please? Please see a proposed track plan below. It will 1.5ft x 6ft and the DC/DCC track will be raised.

Thank you in advance.

whereis power needed.jpg

Needs a few isolators for electrofrog points but not for insulfrog.

I wouldn't connect DCC to the lower one without a 1 amp circuit breaker or 1/2 amp polyswitch in circuit.

Screenshot (140).png

• Thanks 1

I think you have the feed locations sorted.  I think my concern would be the track layout, as the space between the bottom left point and the edge of the board only looks to be big enough for a small locomotive (ie a tank locomotive or diesel shunter) on its own.  It's certainly not large enough to allow for the transfer for stock between the run round loop and the sidings.  Regarding the sidings, I think I'd prefer longer sidings and a shorter head-shunt to make the transfer of wagons between the sidings a bit more challenging.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 14:31, Dungrange said:

I think you have the feed locations sorted.  I think my concern would be the track layout, as the space between the bottom left point and the edge of the board only looks to be big enough for a small locomotive (ie a tank locomotive or diesel shunter) on its own.  It's certainly not large enough to allow for the transfer for stock between the run round loop and the sidings.  Regarding the sidings, I think I'd prefer longer sidings and a shorter head-shunt to make the transfer of wagons between the sidings a bit more challenging.

Hi,

Good point. I have revised this plan now and it is 2ft rather than 18"