Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed myself working my way through the thread. 

Jolly clever stuff going on here. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Very nice signal-box model indeed, but....Williton is a classic Bristol & Exeter Railway design not seen anywhere else other than on that particularly railway, so totally inappropriate for the Dartmoor area . You would have been better with (say) a Saxby & Farmer box (eg the old boxes at Torquay, Tavistock, Mary Tavy etc). But too late to change now :-)

1 hour ago, RailWest said:

Very nice signal-box model indeed, but....Williton is a classic Bristol & Exeter Railway design not seen anywhere else other than on that particularly railway, so totally inappropriate for the Dartmoor area . You would have been better with (say) a Saxby & Farmer box (eg the old boxes at Torquay, Tavistock, Mary Tavy etc). But too late to change now :-)

Whilst I accept the history as you quite correctly point out I find the modelling here to be quite superb and I would be happy to place the SB on my layout as a representation of a West Country railway building, as I am certain that the OP is doing .

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Whilst I accept the history as you quite correctly point out I find the modelling here to be quite superb and I would be happy to place the SB on my layout as a representation of a West Country railway building, as I am certain that the OP is doing .

Spot on.  

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Agreed. Certain prototypes are too interesting to ignore and if they fit visually with the surroundings of a fictitious railway then why not? 

I couldn't have put it better myself!

I would love to have created a true to prototype branch line. And I spent a great deal of time researching many. But it always came down to compromising within my limited space. Heaton Lodge is a fine example of what can be achieved, when you don't have those constraints.

George

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RailWest said:

I regard that as distinctly mean-spirited.

• Agree 6

The OP wrote that he was modelling the Dartmoor area and made various reference to South and West Devon and the Tavistock area. The different styles of former GWR signal-boxes are as varied and distinctive as their different classes of locomotive, and many are indicative of specific areas and/or originating companies. IMHO therefore the presence of an ex-B&ER box would be just as incongruous for a "....bucolic GWR branch line..." in the Dartmoor area as the presence (say) of a 'King' or ex-R&SBR tank engine. The intention of my previous posting therefore was to be informative, not critical - after all, is not part of the benefit of RMWeb the ability to share knowledge? -  so I am saddened that it appears to have been misconstrued :-(   

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RailWest said:

The OP wrote that he was modelling the Dartmoor area and made various reference to South and West Devon and the Tavistock area. The different styles of former GWR signal-boxes are as varied and distinctive as their different classes of locomotive, and many are indicative of specific areas and/or originating companies. IMHO therefore the presence of an ex-B&ER box would be just as incongruous for a "....bucolic GWR branch line..." in the Dartmoor area as the presence (say) of a 'King' or ex-R&SBR tank engine. The intention of my previous posting therefore was to be informative, not critical - after all, is not part of the benefit of RMWeb the ability to share knowledge? -  so I am saddened that it appears to have been misconstrued :-(   

I beg to differ. Your previous post essentially inferred that George had made an error in his choice of prototype when in fact he had simply built a structure that he liked and in all honesty one which fits in perfectly with the other structures. Sadly you seemed to focus on what was wrong in your eyes without seeing how it all blended in, which it does. He was wrong and it needed correcting. It did not and does not come across as advice. 

This need to seemingly correct something which did not need correcting adds nothing to what is looking like building into a delightful thread. 

It does no harm at all to work on the basis that the person building the layout actually knows what they are doing......rather than assuming that they don't. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Having grown up in the Marches, that sky looks familiar!

Thanks. Yes, just after a heavy downfall. We're conjuring up a moody Dartmoor.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Thanks. Yes, just after a heavy downfall. We're conjuring up a moody Dartmoor.

Ah, happy (?) memories of there too.  If it wasn't raining, it just had.  Or was just about to...

• Agree 1