Bovey Tor

Gedward

Damn, that's a fine looking tree sir. Amazing job! Really intrigued by your building construction methods as well, the results are fabulous (I too have struggled with corners) - it must require godlike patience, particularly the scribing. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Off Tackle said:

Damn, that's a fine looking tree sir. Amazing job! Really intrigued by your building construction methods as well, the results are fabulous (I too have struggled with corners) - it must require godlike patience, particularly the scribing. 

Many thanks. It's quite special, as it's #1 on Bovey Tor. Hoping to have a wealth of vegetation on here eventually, so thought I'd better make a start. 

The main reason for switching from N to 00 was because I wanted to scratch build all structures. So did lots of trials using all the usual suspects. Starting with the station building which is based on Crowcombe Heathfield. I started this in styrene, basswood and card covered with Das. But none of these methods gave me a realistic stone finish. Then I watched a couple of videos about structure building on Pendon and thought we'd give that a try. 

As you say, it does take godlike patience. But it is surprisingly easy providing you take your time. And card is such an easy substrate to work with.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

The tree looks great. I don't have a  option of the Gravett tree boo, (yet), so the answer may be in the book, but looking at the construction photos, how did you produce the shillouette of the tree you worked on?

Alex

Many thanks Alex. This time of year is perfect for early morning bike rides. Have taken loads of pics of trees, bushes and weeds etc. As alll will end up on here at some point.

It's always good to look for trees that are solo if poss. I then attach a small piece of tape as high as possible (approx 6 feet) to act as a height indicator. Using PS, I push the levels and contrast sliders to get rid of unwanted clutter. This creates a much clearer reference pic. I then print it out at the size I need. Hope this helps. And yes, I always remember to remove the tape after the shoot.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Many thanks Alex. This time of year is perfect for early morning bike rides. Have taken loads of pics of trees, bushes and weeds etc. As alll will end up on here at some point.

It's always good to look for trees that are solo if poss. I then attach a small piece of tape as high as possible (approx 6 feet) to act as a height indicator. Using PS, I push the levels and contrast sliders to get rid of unwanted clutter. This creates a much clearer reference pic. I then print it out at the size I need. Hope this helps. And yes, I always remember to remove the tape after the shoot.

Thanks George. I shall give that a try.

It is indeed the time for early morning bike rides. I am going out on Friday for the first time since October. 

Alex

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Here we go again with specimen #2.

This time we're using 10 amp fuse wire as this tree is a lot smaller and more fiddly. Will be closely followed by its sibling afterwards.

Tree_02a.jpg

Tree_02b.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I recently discovered some old pics of my first layout, Kanator. Again a GW branch line set in Devon.

I think it was about 4' by 18". This was about 30 years ago and the memory has faded but the pics remain.

Kanator_01.jpg

Kanator_02.jpg

Kanator_03.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Oh BTW it's in N gauge.

I really like N gauge, I always have

I had the beginnings of a N gauge layout in my early teens but it never got finished

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s suitable for my ageing eyesight, I go cross eyed with OO as it is :lol:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Oh BTW it's in N gauge.

The couplings and wheel flanges gave it away.  Without those it would have been harder to tell.  Nice work.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, teaky said:

The couplings and wheel flanges gave it away.  Without those it would have been harder to tell.  Nice work.

I had to look closely to decide the scale too. Whilst it has its advantages, my hands are too big and as you say, couplings and flanges are a giveaway. When you get into 2FS at least things look comparable to modern 00. Then I am fooled until I look at road vehicles, street lights etc.

The countryside tends to scale down better, which is why I think that N works well for open countryside. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Looked very good, especially in the natural light.  That looks suspiciously like the Ratio engine shed, still going strong!

Ratio? No it's all scratch built honest guv. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1