Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, drduncan said:

How?

D

So I'm going through an embossing phase at the moment. Have used that method for the bricks, stones and corrugated iron, with card. So thought why not try it with cobblestones. I did a number of tests with various plasters and of course, Das clay. But eventually I got the best results using an oil based clay. Think of it as professional plasticine. It's called NSP and made by Chavant. It's available in various 'hardness' types. I used the Hard version here.

The cobblestones are made using small hollowed out brushes. Just remove the hairs and reshape the ferrule to the required shapes. A layer of clay is smoothed out and the cobblestone shape is pressed into it. Being an oil based clay, it is very stable as it will never dry out or crack.

The embossed clay is then covered with a mix of  grout and powder paint. For the er... grout. And then the cobblestones themselves are painted individually. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Not just cobblestones. NSP is also good for sculpting portraits.

GD_01.JPG

GD_02.JPG

Blimey! Thats cracking. Really captures Andy York to a tee. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Blimey! Thats cracking. Really captures Andy York to a tee. 

Rob. 

Many thanks, it's actually a self portrait.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to online reference, track laid between cobblestone setts was sometimes laid double and other times single. What would be the most common/usual way in a small canal side goods yard? My plan is to use double/parallel track but not too sure.

• RMweb Premium

This past week have been testing out various weathering and ballasting colours.

Think this will be a good basis, as we can adjust it depending on the area.

Ballast_01.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looks pretty good to me.  What materials are you using?

First, airbrushed a general coat of sleeper grime. Then hand painted each sleeper with a couple of diluted grey / brown acrylics. Then painted the rails with a very light orange. For me, this is the main concern. As getting this wrong can make it look fake. Then picked up other details with more rust. Then a few weathering powders overall.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That sounds like a lot of effort, but well worth the results.  What did you use for the ballast itself?

It is an effort. And I've been kind of dreading it and looking forward to it in equal measure. I guess I just need to be in the right zone / mood.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gedward said:

It is an effort. And I've been kind of dreading it and looking forward to it in equal measure. I guess I just need to be in the right zone / mood.

The end result is worth it though :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Really lovely work, George. I like the open feel you have; it reminds me of Princetown. 

All the best,

Nick.

Many thanks Nick. As Bovey Tor is set in Dartmoor, your comments are spot on and very welcome.

• Like 2