Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Gold

I know it was talked about on the first page but the back scene is fantastic. Those seamless corners are something I’d very much like to replicate on my own layout. I read that you used bendy MDF and filler so does this mean they are permanently attached to the layout?

Jay

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I know it was talked about on the first page but the back scene is fantastic. Those seamless corners are something I’d very much like to replicate on my own layout. I read that you used bendy MDF and filler so does this mean they are permanently attached to the layout?

Jay

Many thanks Jay. No in fact they are are permanently attached to the wall. So can't be removed without some serious damage to the back scene unfortunately.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Backscene looks cracking; really nice. Did you paint it, George? The sky is excellent. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Many thanks Nick. I probably spent about six weeks overall on this. As I didn't just want to set Bovey Tor in a particular era. But also paying attention to the season and weather too. So I first spent countless hours searching image banks. Looking for the right kind of stormy sky and the right kind of terrain, as I am modelling the Dartmoor area. I ended up purchasing two images, one for the sky and one for the terrain.

I then knitted them together in Photoshop. And drew a grid over the entire image. And a corresponding grid on the back scene.

Then with the image on my computer, I used this as a reference to paint the scene. Grid by grid, hope this makes sense.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have sky envy. I just love the cloudy back drop. I'm hoping to persuade a friend who paints  maritime subjects to do a sky for me.

To my mind Bovey Tor is rather reminiscent of Princetown, and therefore above the tree line, so I feel you wouldn't need too many trees.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

I have sky envy. I just love the cloudy back drop. I'm hoping to persuade a friend who paints  maritime subjects to do a sky for me.

To my mind Bovey Tor is rather reminiscent of Princetown, and therefore above the tree line, so I feel you wouldn't need too many trees.

Alex

Many thanks Alex. I recently had to mask out the back scene for track weathering. Then, I realised how much of an impact it makes overall. 

I agree with you about the number of trees. So not planning on planting too many at the back, which is the most expansive part of the scene.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When I built the coal office, I didn't bother modelling the back. But as I have decided this angle is preferable, that has now become visible. I guess I've got some more work to do. :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, marc smith said:

This layout is coming together very nicely indeed @Gedward

Thanks Marc, I appreciate that. Starting on the platform is quite a big step as the layout finally stops looking like a pancake.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Work has just started on the platform front stonework. I might be some time as these stones are 3mm square. 

Platform facing.jpg

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's all looking good George. I love that backscene, it really adds a feeling of space to your layout, the clouds on the left look really oppressive, exactly what we've had here a few times today!  keep looking at those clouds thinking is it going to rain again! 

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, sb67 said:

It's all looking good George. I love that backscene, it really adds a feeling of space to your layout, the clouds on the left look really oppressive, exactly what we've had here a few times today!  keep looking at those clouds thinking is it going to rain again! 

Many thanks Steve.

Fact is, when designing this layout, the number one priority was that it must contain water. So along with the canal in the front, a stormy sky will give us the opportunity for damp patches and puddles.

• Like 4