Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium

This is just a heads up. No I haven't lost my mojo, but instead we're taking a short break from layout building to work on a portrait commission.

It feels so good to get the old brushes and paints out again. Haven't done any painting for a few years, apart from the back scene. My last easel was a huge Mabef studio jobby, complete with crank to adjust height, castors etc. To give an idea of its size, sadly I had to cut 18" off the main shaft in order to get it into my studio. Which is terrifying when you've just forked out £500. But then this had to go to make room for Bovey Tor. So now we're making do with the slightly smaller, desktop easel.

The subject is a very handsome chocolate Labrador called 'Rory'. Not entirely sure how long this work will take but hoping to present in October. Will share pics online afterwards.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

You'll do well to get him to 'sit, stay' for such a long time.

I wanted to call my mothers dog "Stay" just to cause confusion when you called him !!! 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

I wanted to call my mothers dog "Stay" just to cause confusion when you called him !!! 

We have a neighbour with a fine Spitz-type dog that is obviously called Assis. We know this because every time he is taken for a walk we hear her call "Assis, Assis" before crossing the road. For anyone who doesn't know, assis is French for 'sit'!

• Funny 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/08/2021 at 08:01, Gedward said:

This is just a heads up. No I haven't lost my mojo, but instead we're taking a short break from layout building to work on a portrait commission.

Pleased to announce that the portrait is finished and framed. So now I should be getting right back into the old Bovey Tor groove but...

I've decided that 65 years in the big smoke is enough for one man. So now planning a move way out west. On the surface this seems like an impulsive decision and if you know me, in some ways it really is. But I have friends in Somerset that I've known for 60 years, plus family in Devon, so it kind of makes sense to me. And let's not forget all those summers spent in Brixham, growing up.

I guess the next few months are going to be all about sprucing this house up, before taking photos and marketing it. We've lived here for 23 years so moving will be a bitter sweet feeling no doubt. But I was born in Paddington, where else would I end up?

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Time to start drawing up the requirements list for the railway room at the new home then George!

I swear that had absolutely nothing to do with my decision. :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good news is that even though Bovey Tor wasn't designed to be portable. I did end up bolting two 'boards' together so should come apart relatively easily. It sits on spur shelving as does the lighting pelmet too. 

The bad news is that the back scene cannot be moved without extensive repair work. And TBH, I'd rather paint another in the new railway room anyway. So it will end up in the dump. Hey ho.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Well George, despite it being a bitter sweet decision / move I am certain that it will be one you won't regret.

Not only that but having a fellow modeller / artist here in the West Country can only be a good thing !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What a superb model and lovely gesture, it's something I would certainly treasure ( and beats a gold watch etc by a mile ).

Working with such a talented person has certainly paid dividends long may it continue and hopefully be passed on in some way.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As you all know, I have decided to finally leave London and move out west. As I haven't yet found my new property, I'm currently unsure what space I'll have available for any future layout.

Anyway, I've decided a fresh start is what is needed. And so I've decided to put Bovey Tor up for sale. The sale would include all the scratch built structures.

Edited by Gedward
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gedward said:

As you all know, I have decided to finally leave London and move out west. As I haven't yet found my new property, I'm currently unsure what space I'll have available for any future layout.

Anyway, I've decided a fresh start is what is needed. And so I've decided to put Bovey Tor up for sale. The sale would include all scratch built structures and rolling stock.

As a late friend of mine was wont to say, you need to find a nice railway room with house attached.

Hope it all works out.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2021 at 07:33, Gedward said:

Posted this previously on Chuffnell Regis.

One of my ex colleagues, Bobby, was a model maker extraordinaire. (See portrait I painted earlier). The guy was an absolute genius at modelling pretty much anything from scratch. His main 'thing' was boats. Mostly sail boats/ships. He would build them as presents for senior staff, friends etc. Often working through the night to meet deadlines.

I had the good fortune of working with him for 40 years starting back in 1973, whilst at Ogilvy & Mather advertising. It was amazing when I was presented with this model back in 2005, for my 50th birthday. I mean what can you say when someone has spent the best part of a year building a ship for you? The Trading Ketch is built from scale drawings. He even built the display case to place it in. Bobby also loved to build ships in bottles and then explain all his magic tricks to anyone interested.

When I planned Bovey Tor, I constantly thought how would Bobby do this or that? It's no coincidence that my first ever scratch build was a narrow boat. I so wished that I had 1% of his talent.

Bobby Norris RIP. You are my inspiration. You gave me the courage to try my hand at scratch building.

Bob_01.jpg

Bob_02.jpg

Bob_03.jpg

Bob_04.jpg

Bob_05.jpg

Bob_06.jpg

That is simply wonderful, George. A true treasure. 

11 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Anyway, I've decided a fresh start is what is needed. And so I've decided to put Bovey Tor up for sale. The sale would include all scratch built structures and rolling stock.

Well, sad for those of us who have followed it's development but...............

Sometimes a fresh start and a new environment can really get things going. 

Please keep us updated, George. There's an open door on the Sheep Chronicles to plonk news through if you don't feel like keeping the Bovey Tor thread running. 

Cheers, 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

@Gedward I wish you well in both your move, sale and new build. As Rob said you are welcome to post anything on my thread should you need an outlet or anything.

It has been a pleasure and an inspiration watching your layout develop as well as learning some new techniques and things to look out for. I would love to make an offer for Bovey-Tor but I have enough room for my planned layout let a lone another.

Good luck and cant wait for your next build once you are settled.

Matt.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Sometimes a fresh start and a new environment can really get things going. 

Right now, all my time and energy is going towards getting this house ready for marketing in the spring. So all work has stopped on Bovey Tor and there's no knowing when it will resume. As with any new house, old or new, it will require stuff doing to it. So I can't see any modelling being done for quite a while yet. And besides I don't like the idea of mothballing the layout until then.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Right now, all my time and energy is going towards getting this house ready for marketing in the spring. So all work has stopped on Bovey Tor and there's no knowing when it will resume. As with any new house, old or new, it will require stuff doing to it. So I can't see any modelling being done for quite a while yet. And besides I don't like the idea of mothballing the layout until then.

Absolutely. 

I find once a decision is made to stop something and in this case, move on, I go with the original decision. 

Personally, I find it very hard to revisit something. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

George, I also wish you well and hope that you find a suitable property.

If you do find a suitable home here the South West and get settled in you would be more than welcome to contact me (presumably through this site) as there are a great bunch of modellers here willing to help / meet each other, plus there's the Annual meeting at Taunton ( when we are allowed to get back to normal ) . 

I am certain that you will gather more inspiration by being in such a delightful part of the country.

All the very best,

G

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gedward said:

So this was unveiled yesterday. The owners are very happy with it. Job done.

Rory. 40x50cm oil on linen panel.

B304D7D2-C455-4428-BCF9-B426A25FCFE6.jpeg

Simply wonderful. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1