Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2021 at 18:02, bgman said:

Definitely a strong wing coming in from the South West, nicely captured George.

Westerly and South-Westerly winds predominate over Dartmoor. These winds bringing Atlantic air masses release their rain on the first high ground they encounter; Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor. As a result, Dartmoor has a climate which is wetter, cloudier, foggier, colder and windier than the surrounding lowlands. The compass is set.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Westerly and South-Westerly winds predominate over Dartmoor. These winds bringing Atlantic air masses release their rain on the first high ground they encounter; Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor. As a result, Dartmoor has a climate which is wetter, cloudier, foggier, colder and windier than the surrounding lowlands. The compass is set.

I beg to differ living here, it's always sunny and warm, almost tropical  :D

Although there is the odd pocket of dampness here and there !

Yours

M.Fish

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Do I dare ask what kind of a creature lives there?

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Do I dare ask what kind of a creature lives there?

Ohhhh ! You don't want to know ! 

Ann Inbred

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

Your right all the liquid sunshine comes from the Cornish direction.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Today is quite significant, as it’s the 6 month anniversary of the Bovey Tor layout thread.

I guess now's a good time to look back and remember where we were in January. A quick recap, baseboards and back scene completed. Most of the track work laid and wired. I think it’s true to say that with all layouts, there are parts you dread and others you look forward too. I enjoy carpentry and my Woodwork CSE has helped me over the years. But the wiring and fitting all the point motors was a chore.

The aim was to try to scratch build everything apart from the track and rolling stock. And not having any scratch building experience to lean on, it was a real voyage of discovery. Starting with a narrow boat, which turned out OK. That gave me the confidence to make a start on the most complicated building, the station. 

I eventually settled on Crowcombe Heathfield as a prototype. My search criteria, it had to be stone or wood chalet built; absolutely no canopy; not a halt/shelter, but nothing too grand either. Materials wise, we did a number of tests and went with the scribed card, AKA the ‘Pendon’ method. I was quite pleased with how that turned out and decided it might be a good time to start this thread.

Looking forward, I’m asked regularly, when will it be finished? And my reply is, probably never. Because I truly believe a layout is never actually finished. There is always stuff you can add to it, or tweak and alter older bits. But at some point I know I’ll get bored and move on to the next one. But until then...

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I agree that layouts can never be deemed as finished as you can always have other ideas, better techniques or just simply time for a change.

Great effort to date and one I will keep following to.....well I was going to type finished but instead I say until you stop posting.

You never know in years to come the layout might evolve and we will be looking and thinking , did he need to add a shopping centre and housing estate!

Keep up the good work

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, KNP said:

I agree that layouts can never be deemed as finished as you can always have other ideas, better techniques or just simply time for a change.

Great effort to date and one I will keep following to.....well I was going to type finished but instead I say until you stop posting.

You never know in years to come the layout might evolve and we will be looking and thinking , did he need to add a shopping centre and housing estate!

Keep up the good work

I've also been painting in oils for over 50 years. And my paintings suffer from the same dilemma, they're never finished. This has been a real problem when I've been signed on with a gallery. And also with portrait commissions. Always difficult to let go and say done!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

Looking forward, I’m asked regularly, when will it be finished? And my reply is, probably never. Because I truly believe a layout is never actually finished. There is always stuff you can add to it, or tweak and alter older bits. But at some point I know I’ll get bored and move on to the next one. But until then...

I don't expect to ever finish my layout. There are so many things that distract me from ballasting!

32 minutes ago, Gedward said:

I've also been painting in oils for over 50 years. And my paintings suffer from the same dilemma, they're never finished. This has been a real problem when I've been signed on with a gallery. And also with portrait commissions. Always difficult to let go and say done!

From looking at the unfinished examples of your work, George, I can see why you chose the Pendon method of making buildings. Fantastic!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Try velvet!  I’m in the painting by numbers school but my nephew managed his (now late) grandmother wearing a velvet jacket.  It was very convincing.

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I've always found fabrics difficult to paint convincingly.

They really are. Growing up in Pimlico, in the shadow of Tate Britain, gave me an excellent opportunity to spend far too much time studying just that.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I haven't found it to be a problem. It is a little stiff afterwards, though.

I wondered who'd be first. You didn't disappoint.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2