Reliability and alternative spares?

john new

• RMweb Gold

We are beginning to see DJM models 2nd hand and some are still on sale as new stock.

How reliable are these models? The follow up question is are replacement fittings for the things likely to fail, such as motors, available because they were standard components still available from 3rd parties, or were they bespoke designs to DJM therefore any future failure will require a chassis rebuild?

I am tempted by an O2 to go with Kernow's LSWR gate stock as they ran locally, although the branch closed well before I moved here, but I don't want to buy something that will be a b****r to fix in the event of motor problems. 

Edited by john new
Correction of bad grammar

I have 2 BR livery O2s, bought as soon as released from Kernow Models and have had no problems with either. It appears that most of the DJ brand tools have been purchased by Kernow Models of Cambourne (not the tools for models produced by DJ for other retailers eg Hattons 14xx tank) and are appearing again in the EFE Rail brand. The O2 was a Kernow commission and the tools were already owned by Kernow. There are only two versions still available from Kernow, so I would expect that they will reappear, but marketed under the EFE Rail brand, just like the Beattie well tank.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Much to my dismay the coreless motor in my O2 recently gave up the ghost. I found a replacement coreless motor here: https://tramfabriek.nl/motors.html

The only one with the corect dimensions (7x16 I think from memory, but you might want to double check that) had a driveshaft at each end, but this enabled me to add a flywheel to it. This did require some minor grinding down of the metal block behind the O2's motor mount, but it was otherwise a perfect fit and as a result my O2 now runs smoother than ever before, with a bit more haulage capacity to boot.

The same site offers quite a few coreless motor sizes and flywheels suitiable for models, I've also remotored some Roco 009 stuff and they've been going strong for ages with their new motors.

IMG_20210211_165034.jpg

Edited by sparky66
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sparky66 said:

I found a replacement coreless motor here: https://tramfabriek.nl/motors.html

I'd thoroughly recommend their motors.  I recently used one of their 10 x 20 motors in a Oxford Rail N7 and it now runs as smooth as silk - in fact, it runs very noticeably a lot better than my other Oxford Rail N7 that I'd previously regarded as very good.  I've used Tramfabriek motors in other applications, too, and always been very satisfied.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2021 at 15:34, sparky66 said:

Much to my dismay the coreless motor in my O2 recently gave up the ghost. I found a replacement coreless motor here: https://tramfabriek.nl/motors.html

The only one with the corect dimensions (7x16 I think from memory, but you might want to double check that) had a driveshaft at each end, but this enabled me to add a flywheel to it. This did require some minor grinding down of the metal block behind the O2's motor mount, but it was otherwise a perfect fit and as a result my O2 now runs smoother than ever before, with a bit more haulage capacity to boot.

The same site offers quite a few coreless motor sizes and flywheels suitiable for models, I've also remotored some Roco 009 stuff and they've been going strong for ages with their new motors.

IMG_20210211_165034.jpg

This is most interesting, and may have implications for the rebuilding of my old Triang Dokafority...