GWR Diagram C10 third – Slaters’ kit

• RMweb Premium

I have been assembling this for months, and now have just the bogie footboards to add (other than the door handles and grab irons to be added after paining ans lining), plus four very small components. The Slaters’ instructions for these state: “You are now left with two cast gauges and two gas filler valves. We confess to being unable to give you the exact position for these except to say that the filler valves are positioned below the solebar in line with the end of the gas cylinder gas and the gauge is mounted directly above the filler valve”. I am not at all sure what “below the solebar” means, and my only book covering these carriages does not help. Can anyone advise?

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

The solebar is the longitudinal that the coach body sits on, it is the outer part of the framing. If you have Great Western Coaches vol 1 by Jim Russel, Oxford Publishing, there is a picture of the arrangement on page 86 of the arrangement. If you don't have the book, PM me and I will scan it for you.

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the photo, I directed you to,  you can see that the gauge faces out, so that it can be seen by whoever is filling the cylinders.  The filling pipework and fittings face to the left as you look at the gauge. Looking at the picture it also looks  to be at the left hand end of the cylinder.  I have not yet progressed that far with mine, so I can't take a photo.

There is always the old adage, if in doubt, leave it out.

• RMweb Premium

Well, in the clear light of dawn it seems pretty certain that the things I thought were the gauges can't be. Apart from anything else they are considerably too big. These were the only components in the kit I had not identified. So I think thee gauges will be simulated by discs of plastic. They are half hidden by the footboards so probably I am the only person who will ever notice them (if I can actually get them in place in the first instance). What these items are shall remain a mystery. They are not lamp tops as they are a different shape and I had the right number anyway.

image.png.28cc304644aecebd406babd7e99ec233.png

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to God's Wonderful Railway 1835 for the explanation about the castings. Where the casting for the gauges were on the sprues I cannot think. They must have been so small I never noticed them. Anyway, replacements are being made from plastic rod.

But the reason for this post is that John Lewis has answered my question about lamp irons, though it doesn't explain why none are visible on some vehicles. He responded to me as follows:

"Originally the C10 would have had two side lamp irons at waist level plus one just above the left hand buffer (which meant that the step above it had to be put on upside down, to allow the lamp to be put in place). In 1934 the requirement for the display to the rear of the side lamps was abolished on coaching stock trains. I think the side lamp brackets were never formally removed, but if they were in the way when the coaches were repaired, or they got damaged and were removed, they were not replaced."

So I need to fit all three. I think they are probably on one of the etches.

By the way, I noticed that the PO Sorting etc vehicles with the gangways to one side has the lower lamp iron on the wrong aside when the corridor connection was on the left. Not that any PO vehicles are likely to be seen up a South Wales branch, or even on the Pontypool Road-Neath line if I ever do model Penar Junction. 

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In that case the solebars of the kit are presumably wrong as they have the flanges of the solebar on the outside (as does the carriage on the Slaters' site linked to above..

When I have tarted it up a bit with paint I'll photograph my effort.

Jonathan

10 hours ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

The photo on page 86 of GWR Coaches part 1 is of a Churchward coach as the solebar has the angles on the outside against Dean coaches as these had the smooth side on the outside. 

No it isn't, it's of a Dean vehicle. There's an outward-facing flange on the top & a reinforcing 'bulb' on the bottom. If you look at the pipe from the gauge you'll see that it closely follows the curve of the bulb before disappearing from view. If there was a flange there the pipe would have to bend outwards by around 3-1/2".

@corneliuslundie The gauge face is around 3.5" diameter - say 4" overall allowing for the casing. I've had a hunt through the sprues & castings for the 7mm V.5 & T.34 4-wheelers and there's no sign of anything gauge-like, so it looks as though Slater's overlooked them.

Pete S.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the correction. I am much relieved.

I have now made gauges out of 2 mm diameter plastic rod of with a 0.5 mm hole drilled for the pipework. A little oversize but it is what I have and I don't think I could drill a hole in the side of a 1.2 mm diameter rod anyway. The fronts have been painted white using a Posca 0.7 mm white pen, much easier than a brush in that confined space..

And on lamp irons, there are holes for the upper ones in one end moulding but not for the lower one and none in the other end moulding. Holes now drilled and some brass strip being cut and filed to shape.

I looked at the Dan Pinnock parcels van I completed recently and that has the upper lamp irons but no provision for the lower ones, so they need to be added.

Of course when all this is painted and weathered it will be hardly visible anyway, but we will know it is there.

Jonathan

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 08:05, corneliuslundie said:

I have been assembling this for months, and now have just the bogie footboards to add (other than the door handles and grab irons to be added after paining ans lining), plus four very small components. The Slaters’ instructions for these state: “You are now left with two cast gauges and two gas filler valves. We confess to being unable to give you the exact position for these except to say that the filler valves are positioned below the solebar in line with the end of the gas cylinder gas and the gauge is mounted directly above the filler valve”. I am not at all sure what “below the solebar” means, and my only book covering these carriages does not help. Can anyone advise?

Jonathan

I think you can see the pressure gauge on this photo just below the right side of the 5th door from the left. www.http://www.penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#C10

and the same on these coaches

236999329_C103120.jpg.eb893db5c2b0ec35c96d4929f40c5a56.jpg

373663800_C103102.jpg.eb4cb7c3187cef3dad479271c3bb0b85.jpg

2119935088_C10W14292WHCCasserley.jpg.faca26750677e8c440915b568ac1f496.jpg

but in a different position on this one:

416555877_C101269.jpg.d81fe432399dbddeb4f2caed88796612.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Interesting contrasts in the panelling modifications too. Top has no raised beading below the windows but still has blanked out clerestory lights.

Bottom one still has most waist panels but fully flush clerestory just with the ventilators.

None have full length stepboards on the bogies.