Lettering the SEF SR bolster wagons?

BrightonBoi

Hello all,

I wonder if there's anyone who might be able to help with how/where to letter up the SEF pair of SR single bolster wagons?

This is an inexperienced foray into the whitemetal kit building, and it would seem finding internet resources is scarce. Having found some images of the IOWSR preserved Diag 1616 single bolsters, it seems there's a few detail differences to the SEF kit - the biggest one being a place to put the lettering! So perhaps this is a different prototype (what does it actually look like?), but the question is still the same. I suppose there will be a book to answer these plus future wagon problems? :unknw_mini:

IMG_20210102_193918.jpg.29e9efa213677db5bf896b56a9922a3a.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the offending wagon in a rough WIP state - my guess is to put letters between the rivets in the middle of the solebar, but then where does the number go? I think the solebars and buffer beams should be brown too but again, how to confirm this, from the preserved only?

Many thanks all!

BrightonBoi

• RMweb Gold

The painted numbers (left end) SR lettering (either side of the centre) and Tare (right end) were on the side of the bolster bed not the solebar itself.

The number also appeared on a cast plate in the centre of the Solebar. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Muz

Is that for this particular vehicle? As I cannot identify the prototype from the Southern Railway wagon books.

The nearest I can find is in the SECR book where a similar wagon, without a side plank to the bolster bed, has the lettering on the sole bar ( see page 127)

This would be much easier to do.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony 

I have stated the livery for the LBSC versions. You are correct that if it based on the SECR version. that would be easier to apply. 

I also forgot to mention that the solebar and bufferbeam would be SR brown and anything below the Solebar would be black. 

Thank you both for having a look at this. Indeed compared to the LBSC ones, there's surely not enough room to have the lettering on the bolster bed side even with a side plank. It sounds like the solebar location is more likely, but a bit more paintwork is in order first - thank you for confirming the brown Mr Muz (big fan of Fisherton!).

Thanks for the SECR suggestion Tony, I'll have a look at getting a copy of that book - do you have an idea for a pair of suitable numbers and tonnages in the meantime?

I'm surprised its such a mystery for this kit, they seem to be rarely made here on RMWeb... This may be why!

Cheers all,

BrightonBoi

As there appears to be no exact match to this wagon in any of the Southern Wagon books I suspect that this particular wagon type was out of service by 1923.

I would suggest 57929 and 57930 as the number on the left, correct number series but two less than those used on LCDR wagons of this type.

S R in the centre widely spaced and 6 or 8 tons on the right and Tare x.x.x  on the extreme right