CV6 stays at 0 ?

unsoundmove

Hi - grateful for advice. Just resetting some CVs, and on just a couple of locos (decoders are ESU v4) the CV 6 value is set at zero, and resists any attempts to change it (using Lenz controller on programming track, get ERR02 message if adding any value other than 0). Any idea why this is the case ? Thanks...

I will check all these possibilities, but I think Nigel you may be right, thank you. I do have a few 5 mixed in amongst the 3.5 and 4, and it may well be these. Is there a way of telling 4s and 5s apart from the CVs - they all seem to have the same cv 7 and 8 variables ? 

12 hours ago, unsoundmove said:

I will check all these possibilities, but I think Nigel you may be right, thank you. I do have a few 5 mixed in amongst the 3.5 and 4, and it may well be these. Is there a way of telling 4s and 5s apart from the CVs - they all seem to have the same cv 7 and 8 variables ? 

Apart from visual, and compare with photos of the products... 
I think there may be some CV's which may split a V4 from a V5.    But I just use a computer with JMRI/DecoderPro, and if it is possible to identify automatically, JMRI will do it.   With decoders as complex as LokSound's, changing anything from a DCC handset is a long, slow and complicated process.   

This page deep in the JMRI technical stuff implies there is a way to read a decoder ID from an ESU decoder, which is likely to be useful for V5, and possibly useful for V4,  and won't do anything for V3.5 (doesn't have indexed CVs).  How you then interpret the results is another question (other bits of the JMRI code documentation may provide clues).

https://www.jmri.org/JavaDoc/doc/jmri/jmrit/decoderdefn/IdentifyDecoder.html

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

a handy way to quickly identify loksound v4s and 5s is that they have a laser etch in the surface of the cpu that can be seen when held up to the light, and shows ESULS4 or ESULS5. only useful if its been removed from the loco granted.

• Thanks 1