5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

IIRC the current range of Hornby points is in fact that sold previously by RoCo, hence having huge gaps everywhere to accommodate the coarse flanges beloved of 'continental' ranges of stock. The older Peco Setrack ones were also troublesome but more recent production is better with a tighter tolerance.  As Peco make their own track not a 'bought in' product they can respond to these things.

Can I just check with you on this, isn't their Setrack range identical to Hornby, just the Streamline etc that is their own.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Can I just check with you on this, isn't their Setrack range identical to Hornby, just the Streamline etc that is their own.

It is (mostly) identical in geometry, but is not the same product - it's not even the same colour plastic.

• Agree 1

I posted on a thread about  bending streamline points on RM Web some time ago, I bent a streamline curved point down to somewhere around 3rd radius on the inside but it involved a fair bit of advanced bodgery.   Generally I find Peco set track to have less generous flangeways than the Hornby and the flangeways sound like the root of this issue.  I did know a chap who glued strips to Triang Hornby Super 4 point check rails to let modern stock get through but its a fiddle and life is (well pre lock down life was) too short.

20 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I posted on a thread about  bending streamline points on RM Web some time ago, I bent a streamline curved point down to somewhere around 3rd radius on the inside but it involved a fair bit of advanced bodgery.   Generally I find Peco set track to have less generous flangeways than the Hornby and the flangeways sound like the root of this issue.  I did know a chap who glued strips to Triang Hornby Super 4 point check rails to let modern stock get through but its a fiddle and life is (well pre lock down life was) too short.

After mulling it over, and getting a working trackplan revision sorted out, I came to the conclusion that rather than try and fix the points I should probably ditch them. Just three more points to buy and I dont have to decide yet, but I think regardless of whether one loco or another cant get round, we are looking at a 33 degree inside track curve on these points, and i require a layout with a high degree of reliability as I want to be able to automate a bit in future, so I cant afford these weak 'points'. I may find the same thing with some the ordinary setrack points but not so far; when i have some more track properly laid I'm going to test the locos through a station approach.

Athough there isnt much interest here, I have an update to put in.

I glued inserts against the guard rails using a rather heavy duty yoghourt pot as the source material, and wheelsets had a tendency to stick so I removed those, and after some thought replaced them with sections of plastic cut from an OHP slide film sheet. I made them about 3mm longer than the guard rail at each end to help with handling and glued them in place with humbrol poly cement. They seem to have stuck well.

I tested them with locos - an 0-6-0 and an 0-6-2 that I had out of storage, nothing longer, and a pullman carriage. The carriage is tricky because of the self centre-ing bogies but it sailed through loose track sections made from points, so I had points back to back. I tested all directions of approach. The locos got through, only just in the case of the 0-6-2 but it isnt the best. I will report again when I can lay some proper track down and put tender locos through.

• Like 1