Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Music and railways

I will forever associate Orbital’s ‘The Middle of Nowhere’ album with travelling behind a Class 47 over the sea wall at Dawlish:

But any hard working diesel goes hand in hand with Thrash Metal. Anything Slayer, but I think Metallica really nailed it:

But leaving BNS behind an 86 or 87 has to be:

The Bashing anthem:

Although there is a piece of classical music from the end of ‘Steam on the Settle & Carlisle’ whose name I can never remember, which really invokes the majesty of rail travel.

Regards

Matt

On 11/01/2021 at 18:45, The Johnster said:

The near total collapse of the WR's 1959 West of England Summer Bank Holiday timetable, on a hot day in a hot summer, probably sold more cars than any other single event in British social history.  Of course the result was the superjams on the Exeter bypass, but in their cars, people could get out and walk around. 

Are you perhaps thinking of 1957?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned this before in a previous similar topic, Pentangle's 'Train Song' on the album 'Basket Of Light' has wonderfully evocative rhythms, both fast and slow, which bring steam power to the mind, before concluding with an almost menacing acoustic image of the onset of modern traction.

Regards,

John

Some years ago I picked up a DVD "Maine Central Mountain division" the incidental music was a classical piece which I knew nothing about and there was no hint on the sleeve. About 12 months ago whilst doing my stint behind the counter at Oxfam it came on Classic FM. Thankfully their play list for the day is online, I could now find the elusive piece. It was a Franz Schubert piece from the ballet Rosamunde https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2dXBHyW1B0&list=PLC49B486C134DB98C&index=105&t=188s When I listen I'm picturing Boston and Maine E7's hauling the "Mountaineer" and Maine Central heavy freights battling the grade out of Bartlett and up through Crawford Notch! It was made more memorable by the voice of the commentator, think Alistair Cook. In the linked piece it's only the first few minutes that's used and repeated.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3

I've gone a bit further and built a music inspired layout. After seeing the atmosphere created by Peter North on one of his rural Rock Island layouts with music coming from a run down cafe (really a miniature Juke box on the side of the layout) at a show about 25 years ago, I wanted to do the same with my own contemporary music interest which was the Seattle grunge scene. My modelling interest ended up nearby in Washington State but with an Interurban, but always wanted to do something in recognition of the inspiration I received from the initial layout. So we have:

"Buzz Factory" (Screaming Trees album),

"Soundgarden" playing the local theater, with other bands posters in the windows,

MLB grafitti on the inside of an upstairs night spot,

Pawn shop interior, from a still from The Muffs video "Sad Tomorrow",

And a MP3 player on the front of the layout to play music, vaguely looking like a car 8 track cassette. 

Screenshot_20210123-024222.png

Screenshot_20210123-024246.png

Screenshot_20210123-024308.png

Screenshot_20210123-024329.png

Screenshot_20210123-024354.png

Edited by 298
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2021 at 10:57, Bill Radford said:

The KLF - Last Train To Trancentral (Live From The Lost Continent)

That's some smoke unit!!

Sure is, most effective I’ve ever seen on a model.  Dry ice I guess. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Duffy. Rock Ferry.  

Going home late at night on the last train.

Just the thing for running a Bachmann dmu (with it's interior lights) round the layout in the dark.

Just playing it now.....

One problem with that is it would be an EMU....

:prankster:

Funny thing is I don't think there was any real connection with Rock Ferry apart from apparently her dad was originally from there. Maybe it just sounded good. Most interesting fact about Rock Ferry was it was where SS Great Eastern was scrapped.

The record cover is Porthmadog. If not, Liverpool has changed a lot....

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

One problem with that is it would be an EMU....

:prankster:

Funny thing is I don't think there was any real connection with Rock Ferry apart from apparently her dad was originally from there. Maybe it just sounded good. Most interesting fact about Rock Ferry was it was where SS Great Eastern was scrapped.

The record cover is Porthmadog. If not, Liverpool has changed a lot....

spacer.png

Yes, indeed Porthmadog.  Not sure if Rock Ferry really stands out as a great place to go. Like many songs and poems it just sounded good.  However the song is about leaving on that midnight train...

There's another track of hers,  Warwick Avenue, that mentions the underground station. You can probably find it on youtube.  :-)

Re Carter takes a train, (my previous post) that does work well for running a blue/grey rake round the layout. The trick is to stop in the station just as the track ends and you hear the Newcastle station announcer...

Edited by railroadbill

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst not a specific piece, an awful lot of blues/rhythm & blues tracks have a beat that I find very reminiscent of a two-cylinder (as is appropriate for the USA) loco. 

As far as specific pieces go, there's always Joe Ely's Boxcars

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I like a bit of Kraftwerk, 'Trans Europ Express' and 'Metal on Metal'.

I'm afraid I can no longer think of Kraftwerk without seeing this

• Like 2