Advice requested on hand building 0-MF points.

Dmudriver

9 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

Not if you know what you are doing, and track standards and engineering has been part of my day job over the years. I'm probably one of very few people on here who has designed tyre profiles for full sized railway vehicles.....

Jim

Jim

As you have said you have expert knowledge, I have seen far too many do something which they thought was right and found it to be wrong

Phil Read who now owns C&L took over a range where previous owners had made a decision which was at odds with the standards. I must add that these issues have now been rectified

Firstly they had roller gauges for 00 gauge (16.5) with 1mm flangeways, clearly these gauges were for GOGAF, a standard where stock wheels have to be re-gauged

Secondly 00 gauge common crossings had 1mm wing rail gaps, OK you could fudge the check rails but with 3 way turnouts they require gauge narrowing in the centre road for trouble free running. Now Phil offers 2 options, either 1.25 flangeway gaps or 00SF gauges

For a while I have been going on about not having check rail flanges on roller gauges, or at least only on one side. Plus make more of a effort in promoting check rail gauges and obtain wing rail gauges (flat bars of the correct width)

These thoughts are the same for 7mm gauge, for the non-society member the choice of gauges is sparse. Plus I believe the onus is on the suppliers to supply simple data charts. 

13 hours ago, hayfield said:

These thoughts are the same for 7mm gauge, for the non-society member the choice of gauges is sparse. Plus I believe the onus is on the suppliers to supply simple data charts. 

For the society member, the choice is still sparse. The Guild leaves anything of this nature entirely to the trade. C&L do nothing for 0-MF or 0-SF, only a 31.0mm gauge which is no practical use at all. Peartree do an adjustable gauge, but there is no clue if it can cope with gauges narrower than 32mm. Which leaves the etched gauges done by Roxey (and designed by me), and an equivalent gauge that I did purely for 7mm Scale Society members.

After that, I think that's it.

Jim

9 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

For the society member, the choice is still sparse. The Guild leaves anything of this nature entirely to the trade. C&L do nothing for 0-MF or 0-SF, only a 31.0mm gauge which is no practical use at all. Peartree do an adjustable gauge, but there is no clue if it can cope with gauges narrower than 32mm. Which leaves the etched gauges done by Roxey (and designed by me), and an equivalent gauge that I did purely for 7mm Scale Society members.

After that, I think that's it.

Jim

Jim

I have had several chats with Phil about gauges and the message is getting home, its no help for 7mm at the moment but he has taken what I have said on board. The 4 mm roller gauges have been revised, 00 having 1.25 mm flangeways (why they have flangeways anyway baffles me, as they get in the way and check rail gauges are far more accurate) more importantly the gauges allow the rail head to rotate in the slot. He sells 00SF gauges but for some reason fails to promote the check rail gauge for 00, he is looking at wing rail gauges

The biggest issue is the cost and potential sales, a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, Phil is a bit more switched on with 7mm scale so I am surprised the range is not larger, as he is very friendly with Dave at Roxey Mouldings perhaps he does not want to step on Dave's toes and Dave runs a very good mail order service

• 2 weeks later...