Train-o-Matic PowerPacks - Any exeriences?

Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I have been considering fitting some ESU PowerPacks to some locos, particularly those with known pick-up issues. Now, I have looked several times and the cost for what they are is eye-watering. The component costs being an tiny fraction of the cost charged.

Anyhow, I decided to order one last night, but whilst searching for a supplier with them in stock, I saw the Train-o-Matic version advertised.

Does anybody have any experience of them? They are less than half the cost and I know their decoders have been relatively well received.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Well, the Train-o-Matic SPP-N Powerpack arrived, is fitted to my 45048 and is, quite frankly, brilliant. I haven't yet played with the CVs to limit the time it applies power for, but if I power the loco, apply sound and lights and lift it off, I get sound for about four seconds. Ok, it will be less with the motor powering, but will aid any poor pick-up no end. Thinking this will be a good loco to use my track-cleaning wagon with.

Will be ordering more :yes:

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I fitted one to a 37 with sound the other day and I was very impressed, ran for longer than expected and I had no problems programming with it connected

Richard

Yep, they are impressive bit of kit at a reasonable price. I have now installed five and I am about to order more. 

Only thing that took some getting used to was everything carrying on for a bit when you press “stop” on the LokProgrammer!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I'm sure I read here that some decoders have a CV setting that determines how many factions of a second they will run on after the DCC signal has been interrupted? Could be useful if a loco decided to leave the track and power itself over the edge of the baseboard!