Diesel depot floor

20 minutes ago, 40034_Nick said:

ok thanks. Where did you get the card from ?

I wish I could remember, it was in my stash of materials - 

I would describe it as a rigid brown (on both sides), dense, waxy card about 1mm.  I would say strong cereal box type.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

technique for replicating concrete , this is card dabbed randomly with various match pot grey and white  emulsion paints with a sponge , building up the layers gradually , i find it easier by not putting too much paint on at a time and starting with a base layer of one colour then letting it dry slightly before adding various tones, the joints are highlighted with black powder paints ( or weathering powders)FB_IMG_1610408685026.jpg.92baa77bc0f84774f052babd315978e6.jpgFB_IMG_1610408692523.jpg.b544b11bb2231aeb8bfb9cf82ca6fed1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I’ve used plasticard cut into strips then glued to build up the base, then primed and painted and weathered. Worked well for various diesel depot floors which are still going strong years later apart from when I used the wrong kind of glue for one of them, and it warped horribly. I think PVA worked ok. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought long about how to do this too, as I will have the same task soon. I thought about two options, the plaster method, or the card method.

I have opted for the card method to minimise mess, and give myself more options should I 'mess it up'.

I've bought plasticard to firstly take the surrounding base area to sleeper height, and then again from sleeper to rail height.

• Like 1