Not a work in progress!

Markwj

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would start a layout thread so you could get your own back and be critical of my efforts! Not a work in progress as we have the house up for sale and so progress has stopped don’t see the point of continuing if it is going to be ripped up the baseboards not being transferable!

It is set in the fylde coast and although I have stock for almost any time period from the late sixties onward I prefer the sectorisation period and at some point I will sell my out of period stock and concentrate on this era.

I really wanted an out and back with loco changes but I then couldn’t justify my wagon fleet. Hopefully I can upload a series of pics to show the chaos I have constructed. There is no great skill just an accumulation of bits put together in a fashion!

C745B008-DC3D-4FC0-BEB7-2EEDE031130B.jpeg

4A321DD3-F58B-49E3-B63C-9A3A6E04A6D4.jpeg

0FC62F5F-F9B4-4B0E-B0C7-CA145C0964E9.jpeg

F45BC7FC-A219-40F2-ABA9-61EA8A4B9BD8.jpeg

9C58A49D-B33D-481C-80AD-93407B831300.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We have a 3 platform station, 2 road diesel shed and 2 road emu sidings. I do have platform lights but 1 platform has gone off so as I said before no point fixing!

Fiddle yard is 4 roads of decent size then 2 smaller roads. Hopefully if we have a house move I will get more space and bigger baseboards but for now this does me!

• RMweb Gold

One aspect I don’t like is the station building it kind of just sits on a shelf was going to do a town scene above the layout but can’t find a prototype for this it would be like the station at the end of a street heading down from an over ridge to the platform but it doesn’t feel right somehow.

260C7FFF-E387-4DCD-89B2-06EFCBFD7263.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Mark

It looks interesting

How have you found having an L shaped (or perhaps more hockey stick shaped) fiddle yard. I don't quite have enough length for the adapted Minories I want to buid and that could be a solution.

The high level station building behind the buffers is not unknown in city situations. Euston Station is a dramatic example but there were smaller one. The District Railway terminus at Ealing Broadway was/is  a good example and though the station building is now a parade of shops and the access stairs have of course gone, both the building and the original train shed are very much intact. These can look as if the intention was to continue the railway further but I'm pretty sure there was no such intention at Ealing. The GWR's planned terminus at Shepherds Bush would probably have had the same arrangement had they not decided to give running rights to the Central London Railway which extended to Ealing Broadway mainly using the GWR's Ealing and Shepherd's Bush railway. There are a number of other London Underground termini with the same arrangement and I think some of them were originally main line branches.

Until 1937 there was also a separate terminus at Richmond upon Thames for the District and North London Railways with building at street level above the ends of the five terminal platforms. There was a separate LSWR  through station for the Windsor and Reading line with ground level buildings approached by ramps the other side of the Kew Road connected by a footbridge.

1124741999_EPW022843RichmondStation.jpg.108aa30ce78f21091ef33f7ba9517c78.jpg

In 1937 they moved the through platforms up the line  and built the present art deco building on the site of the original terminus building.

Outside London I'm not so sure but that probably just reflects my own ignorance. There are obvious disadvantages in access to having the station buildings at a different level to the platforms but often outweighed by the advantage of having your station at street level if the topography demanded that. I can't think of any examples of the buffers actually under the building but that doesn't mean it never happened. I thnk it would be far more likely if the railway was built into an already urbanised area where land would be expensive. I don't think any railway would have done it for a terminus on a greenfield site though for through stations it was very common.

BTW I assume you were going to add a ramp at the end of the island platform before the Board of Trade inspected the line. :)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both it’s actually a roundy roundy but realise the pictures don’t show this. Thank you for the prototype ideas and will take a look at the examples given but like I say progress paused now pending potential house move.

The fiddle yard is painful particularly trying to couple stock on a curve! The door is just in the wrong place to have a decent run on the fiddle yard. The room is approx 16ft by 7ft by the way.

Thanks again for looking.

• RMweb Gold

As I said I would prefer an end to end with loco changes but I have loads of wagons for block trains so unsure how I could do this with an end to end station. As i wanted it to be based on the fylde coast I wondered whether to use a bit of modellers license (ok a lot) and assume that Blackpool south and north were actually linked across town as a kind of loop off the west coast mainline or have an end to end and add in a branch to Fleetwood which is only accessible by a station reversal. This could assume a freight terminal or something at Fleetwood.

Thanks for listening to me prattle on!

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 11:02, Markwj said:

As I said I would prefer an end to end with loco changes but I have loads of wagons for block trains so unsure how I could do this with an end to end station. As i wanted it to be based on the fylde coast I wondered whether to use a bit of modellers license (ok a lot) and assume that Blackpool south and north were actually linked across town as a kind of loop off the west coast mainline or have an end to end and add in a branch to Fleetwood which is only accessible by a station reversal. This could assume a freight terminal or something at Fleetwood.

Thanks for listening to me prattle on!

I have a end to end station layout and a few wagons. The main freight train that I have are some tankers which are used to bring the fuel to the fuel point in the carriage sidings which involves a shunt via the station. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 43055 said:

I have a end to end station layout and a few wagons. The main freight train that I have are some tankers which are used to bring the fuel to the fuel point in the carriage sidings which involves a shunt via the station. 

Thank you for the idea but I have block trains of coal hoppers etc which I would want to run. No rush for a solution though will ponder a while!

cheers