KR Models announce 2021 products

KR Models

We have a lot of emails following the Hornby range announcement and have decided to block announce what we intend to build over the next 12 months.  These are just that 'intentions', not up for purchase yet.  While all three projects are in various stages right now, we are NOT asking for any commitment yet.  Nor are these 'crowdfunded' projects.  Please do not read anymore into this announcement other than it is an announcement.  

6.jpg

8.jpg

Torpedo Ore wagon 1.png

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, JC said:

Defo interested in the Hunslet and the Torpedo wagon :D

The CAD work is almost complete on the Torpedo wagon, but the Hunslet is a bit further behind.  A formal announcement will follow when we set up the EOI. 

• Like 1

These choices are very niche, even within the niche world of industrial locomotives and operations.

Have you done any research prior to this announcement to determine market demand for a 12-axle Torpedo wagon? As it is at CAD stage I have to ask - one presumes that these are outside UK-loading gauge and will need design compromises to the bogies to negotiate typical set track curves and points? I have no agenda here , but these are questions which immediately spring to mind and I would want to hear much more on. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

21 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

These choices are very niche, even within the niche world of industrial locomotives and operations.

Have you done any research prior to this announcement to determine market demand for a 12-axle Torpedo wagon? As it is at CAD stage I have to ask - one presumes that these are outside UK-loading gauge and will need design compromises to the bogies to negotiate typical set track curves and points? I have no agenda here , but these are questions which immediately spring to mind and I would want to hear much more on. 

Paul A. 

Trix have been making various large torpedo wagons on and off for years in Ho and N. I would imagine there is a market for an OO one.

https://www.trix.de/de/suche/?q=Torpedopfannenwagen.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Paul A. 

These run today in the Scunthorpe steel works.  They are scaled to OO gauge track.  

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The market is likely the same as the Hunslet - if you buy an industrial shunter you may want an industrial wagon for it to shunt - they are internal user wagons are they not?

Question, does a Torpedo need an orange light inside to make it glow when full?

Yes, this is part of the DCC operation of the model.

1 hour ago, clarkea1 said:

Very interested in the big Hunslet, and possibly the torpedos.  Which prototype is the torpedo based on - Scunthorpe to match up with the Hunslets?

Yes correct.  We have been working very closely for months with them.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KR Models said:

They are scaled to OO gauge track

And that's underscale. So are they 4mm/foot or 3.5mm/foot?

Such things are the points I was trying to make in this afternoon's email. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The market is likely the same as the Hunslet - if you buy an industrial shunter you may want an industrial wagon for it to shunt - they are internal user wagons are they not?

Question, does a Torpedo need an orange light inside to make it glow when full?

Some torpedo wagons made relatively shortish (63 mile) journeys over BR lines - from Cargo Fleet to Consett for a few years.   There was also another variant at Redcar - again rnning internally - and they were much bigger with a far greater overall height than any of the other types.   The ones which ran to Consett were very different in appearance from the KR model which is based on the internal user wagons at Scunthorpe.  

Lima did one in the past and it wasn't too bad although whether it was based ona UK one or other European version I'm not entirely sure (and it was probably undersize).

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Some torpedo wagons made relatively shortish (63 mile) journeys over BR lines - from Cargo Fleet to Consett for a few years.   There was also another variant at Redcar - again rnning internally - and they were much bigger with a far greater overall height than any of the other types.   The ones which ran to Consett were very different in appearance from the KR model which is based on the internal user wagons at Scunthorpe.  

Lima did one in the past and it wasn't too bad although whether it was based ona UK one or other European version I'm not entirely sure (and it was probably undersize).

There's some intersting info on these workings here:

http://www.traintesting.com/torpedo_wagon_tests.htm

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

It will be very interesting to see how the Stevenson Eccentric valvegear works on Bellerophon. Has this ever been done before in model form before, maybe a foreign outline model? and if so how successfully does it work?

It's actually Gooch valvegear (also smetimes called Gooch Stephenson because it is very similar to Stephenson gear and looks much the same at a glance)

3 hours ago, KR Models said:

These run today in the Scunthorpe steel works.  They are scaled to OO gauge track.  

My question was about "loading gauge" - a pretty critical consideration for layouts with platforms, bridges, tunnels etc.  They are significantly wider and taller than a Mk1, are they not? 

Paul A.