KR Models announce 2021 products

KR Models

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1whitemoor said:

My question was about "loading gauge" - a pretty critical consideration for layouts with platforms, bridges, tunnels etc.  They are significantly wider and taller than a Mk1, are they not? 

Paul A. 

Judging by photos the torpedo ladles look as if they will be out of gauge below normal platform height and due to their length the overthrow inside curves would also probably be well out of gauge (assuming the actual torpedo part is in gauge).  But as they are models of wagons intended solely for use on an industrial network with no need to meet national network gauge restrictions it wouldn;t be unexpected that they wouldn't fit.  

All that is needed to ascertain if they will fit ordinary structure gauge is for their various overall dimensions to be quoted - regrettably I  can't find any information about them online.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well there's nothing in it for me but with KR models that's really not a surprise is it .

Seriously ,well done on bringing some of these more niche items to market . Clearly there is interest .   And I am encouraged at this rate I may well get a Swindon 126 after all . 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Most interesting announcement.

Bellerophon is well out of my area of scope in southern England, but I saw and photographed it when it visited the Bluebell a few years. Quite an attractive locomotive and something out of the usual, so I may place an order if it is not too expensive.

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I may place an order if it is not too expensive.

Ray

£190.00 DCC ready

£220.00 DCC fitted

DCC Sound tba

At those prices, it’ll need to be top of the pile in terms of quality and fidelity to prototypes.

• Agree 5

Will you be giving any of the profits to help restore Bellerophon? How do you propose to record it for the sound-fitted  version, being that it is awaiting a 10 year overhaul and is unable to run for the forseeable future?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rorz101uk said:

Just an idea, Would something like this that people would want? Non/Vac brake

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brstripcoil/e294aa921

would be a easy thing to do for KR Model?

Judging by their new Coil A. I think I'd sooner see it from Accurascale - complete with the ballast on the wagon floor.  The Strip Coils were nice things to ride behind in a brakevan on a frosty day as the centre of the hrc coils was usually cheery red (or hotter) when they were loaded and the heat wafted back as the train went along ;)

A big thing with 'Bellerophon' is going to be getting that valve gear right and at that price for such a small engine I would expect to see a moving valve rod - which would be an interesting challenge with Gooch valvegear and an outside eccentric. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's actually Gooch valvegear (also smetimes called Gooch Stephenson because it is very similar to Stephenson gear and looks much the same at a glance)

It's the actual Stevenson's eccentrics part I'm on about. I imagine they will be very difficult to model effectively and reliably.
 Also do you know if there are any other surviving locos that have Gooch valve gear? As it is I believe that Bellerophon is the oldest loco in the world with piston valves, having a unique valve gear would make it even a more special loco.

Edited by peteskitchen
spelling, grammar, missed words,anything else!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, peteskitchen said:

It's the actual Stevenson's eccentrics part I'm on about. I imagine they will be very difficult to model effectively and reliably.
 Also do you know if there are any other surviving locos that have Gooch valve gear? As it is I believe that Bellerophon is the oldest loco in the world with piston valves, having a unique valve gear would make it even a more special loco.

I know of one broad gauge replica buit for GW 150 using components from an 'Austerity' tank engine or Hunslet near equivalent and it has a slightly fiddled version of Stephenson gear to turn it into something more akin to Gooch valvegear but the eccentrics are of course inside the frames and the valve rod might not work in the way it does in proper Gooch valvegear.  I don't know what 'Fire Fly',the other broad gauge replica which started construction at around the same date,  as got in the way of valve gear bit as the original was designed by Gooch it might well have Gooch valvegear - although again it will be between the frames.

But it will be an interesting challenge for anybody to model in 4mm scale with the outside eccentric and the long valve rod especially driving the latter in a realistic manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meCkaR7gGIM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

Will you be giving any of the profits to help restore Bellerophon? How do you propose to record it for the sound-fitted  version, being that it is awaiting a 10 year overhaul and is unable to run for the forseeable future?

Are any of the larger and wealthier manufacturers - Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol - giving any of their profits to help restore the original locos of their models? 

Edited by D9001
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, D9001 said:

Are any of the larger and wealthier manufacturers - Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol - giving any of their profits to help restore the original locos of their models? 

I have no idea. I am simply posing the question. Some small, what you may call cottage industry, manufacturers have done so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2021 at 17:24, Ruston said:

Please do not read any more into my reply other than it is a reply.

Please do not read anything into my non reply other than is is an ... Oh wait:jester:

Edited by Vistisen
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Dunno. But Roco did for a German loco when they paid for a promotional repaint on 18 201.

Bernard

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Bachmann, in particular, have a track record of working with and donating to preservation societies and heritage railways. They and other manufacturers have worked with the NRM to produce models which delver a margin which goes into museum funds plus there are arrangements for fees for use of licensed brands or names that are part of the National Collection, also there may be fees payable for use of research material. So the answer is all of those that you asked about have done so at times.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 11/01/2021 at 20:47, peteskitchen said:

It will be very interesting to see how the Stevenson Eccentric valvegear works on Bellerophon. Has this ever been done before in model form before, maybe a foreign outline model? and if so how successfully does it work?

Yes. Lilliput make this beautiful HO model of the Austrian Südbahn Class 23.

l131963.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

17 hours ago, D9001 said:

Heljan gave a donation to Bury hydraulic group  when they did the class 14 for Hattons, and the same again to the Class 15 Preservation Society (who are restoring the CoBo) when they did the class 28 also for Hattons. When the Little Loco company did it's O gauge class 15 they donated ALL the profits to the Class 15 Preservation Society. Sadly the guy running that outfit became ill with cancer and as far as I know the company is in hibernation now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Bachmann, in particular, have a track record of working with and donating to preservation societies and heritage railways. They and other manufacturers have worked with the NRM to produce models which delver a margin which goes into museum funds plus there are arrangements for fees for use of licensed brands or names that are part of the National Collection, also there may be fees payable for use of research material. So the answer is all of those that you asked about have done so at times.

Indeed Bachmann did so for the Brighton 'Atlantic' team see here https://grahammuz.com/2019/07/09/Bachmann-europe-make-and-atlantic-gesture/

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

For Belerophon

Looking at the website I presume that it's early days before the design work and think that rather than a 21 pin might be better putting a space for the Next18 as these chips are by design made to maximum sizes thus making the space needed in the loco optimum.

Sound might be feasible as there are quite a lot of videos on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bellerophon+locomotive

Big Hunslet, yes please