KR Models announce 2021 products

KR Models

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

The torpedo wagon is probably more useful than the Oxford rail gun. That didn’t stop Oxford making and selling a few of these. 

cheers

Shane

Oxford's gun sales were a boom, hopefully the torpedo won't sink?

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I hope the torpedo will be "heavily weathered ", rather than the livery illustrated !

They aren't as colourless as most internal user vehicles https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/scunthorpebsccorus/e91c9df2e  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/scunthorpebsccorus/e91c9da21

Many more people will be aware of these than the average internal users as they are on display during the regular tours of the steelworks, and the heat coming off of them when passed can be very welcome - Scunthorpe can be remarkably cold in June!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I'd expect nicer looking crankpins, rather than small screws, for that money!

I thought the valvegear looked pretty awful for that sort of money. However I can imagine the body fittings on that would take some considerable time and effort to manufacture and to fit properly.

• RMweb Gold

Belleragamuffin...

what a great choice.

I remember recording this locomotive when it returned to steam at the KWVR in the late 80’s early 90’s.

its quite small, the boiler is raised with the water tanks underneath giving a view right under the barrel.

(not my image.. its a URL link)

Avon020.JPG

Its also very small..even compared to a pug..

https://www.semaphoresandsteam.com/p666182119/h8060635E#h8060635e

it would be nice to avoid the Hattons Barclay approach of simply ignoring the gap, and putting a motor block in its place, or cutting the boiler in half and hoping no one sees the seam line along the side, or worse a Hornby style pug motor on the footplate !

Hornby did a good job with the Peckett but benefited side tanks to hide the chassis.

Perhaps making the locomotive from metal to give it weight, Have the boiler/smokebox as a separately “insertable” removable piece, and having a motor block, with motor inside “slide” into the boiler, Retain the motor block with a screw, plus sprung contacts to touch down the firebox for wheel pickups, together with the gear train ?

either way, good luck its an interesting design challenge, however don't forget Bellerophon wasnt alone it had 5 other equally ugly sisters.. Amazon,  Golborne, Hercules, Makerfield, Parr.

A decent model together with working valve gear would be simply brilliant.

Oh and the Claytons too.. interesting beasts 21st century equivalent !
I have a Lima bullet wagon, its in HO and it still hits my signal gantries..whats the height on this thing ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Belleragamuffin...

what a great choice.

I remember recording this locomotive when it returned to steam at the KWVR in the late 80’s early 90’s.

its quite small, the boiler is raised with the water tanks underneath giving a view right under the barrel.

(not my image.. its a URL link)

Avon020.JPG

Its also very small..even compared to a pug..

https://www.semaphoresandsteam.com/p666182119/h8060635E#h8060635e

it would be nice to avoid the Hattons Barclay approach of simply ignoring the gap, and putting a motor block in its place, or cutting the boiler in half and hoping no one sees the seam line along the side, or worse a Hornby style pug motor on the footplate !

Hornby did a good job with the Peckett but benefited side tanks to hide the chassis.

Perhaps making the locomotive from metal to give it weight, Have the boiler/smokebox as a separately “insertable” removable piece, and having a motor block, with motor inside “slide” into the boiler, Retain the motor block with a screw, plus sprung contacts to touch down the firebox for wheel pickups, together with the gear train ?

either way, good luck its an interesting design challenge, however don't forget Bellerophon wasnt alone it had 5 other equally ugly sisters.. Amazon,  Golborne, Hercules, Makerfield, Parr.

A decent model together with working valve gear would be simply brilliant.

Oh and the Claytons too.. interesting beasts 21st century equivalent !
I have a Lima bullet wagon, its in HO and it still hits my signal gantries..whats the height on this thing ?

That’s a great picture which shows off the compensation very well. I seem to recall a claim that Bellerophon was, at one stage, the oldest working steam locomotive in the world. Certainly it looked very fine in its umber livery.

As for design, I’d agree that having the motor inside the boiler barrel is the best idea, possibly with provision for speaker and decoder in front of it, reached through the smokebox door in the manner of EFE. Gear train in the firebox driving the rear axle with the coupling rods doing what they are supposed to. Hornby’s Railroad 9F does much the same thing. Clearly, KR Models isn’t afraid to take on a difficult subject!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a great picture which shows off the compensation very well. I seem to recall a claim that Bellerophon was, at one stage, the oldest working steam locomotive in the world.

On the standard gauge, perhaps. The Ffestiniog Railway's George England locomotives and Dolgoch and Talyllyn of the Talyllyn Railway are about a decade older than Bellerophon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, colin smith said:

On the standard gauge, perhaps. The Ffestiniog Railway's George England locomotives and Dolgoch and Talyllyn of the Talyllyn Railway are about a decade older than Bellerophon.

I get very blinkered sometimes, thinking only of standard gauge and 00, if you understand what I’m trying to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I get very blinkered sometimes, thinking only of standard gauge and 00, if you understand what I’m trying to say.

I was asked about gauge on the HMRS application form and looked at it as I couldn’t work out how to put 4’8.5” and settled for std for standard gauge! Later twigged that it was modelling gauge not real!

Certainly 3 interesting choices, and as all are extant, and much easier to research than some of the other KR choices, with relatively easy access to the prototypes, although that might be a double edged sword, as there will be a lot of photos out there to compare the model to the real thing.

The two Scunthorpe choices should be pretty simple, I was looking at my torpedo photos last night, and was struck by how little detail there is on them, the bogies are pretty complex, but all the superstructure is remarkably devoid of surface detail. The Hunslet also avoids the minefield of compound curve shapes that Diesel modellers like to argue about, 

I'm less convinced by Bellerophon, certainly an attractive prototype and well known due to its preservation, but a VERY difficult model to mass produce well,due to the valve gear and boiler/tanks layout. I fear that might be a rod for their own back.

Jon

0703310339.JPG

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting choices, Bellerophon is definitely the one I'd be most curious about, but as has been pointed out, it's going to be a very fragile model and there's probably going to have to be compromises made somewhere.

As for the Hunslet and the torpedo wagon...okay, interesting choices but will they sell? Yes, the railgun sold, but that was at Oxford Rail prices. I think I would have chosen something a little bit more widespread.

• Agree 1

On 14/01/2021 at 13:29, No Decorum said:

I seem to recall a claim that Bellerophon was, at one stage, the oldest working steam locomotive in the world. 

Certainly not while in industry, that accolade (standard gauge, in the UK at least) would belong to Black Hawthorn 266 of 1873 "Holwell No.3". 

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Certainly not while in industry, that accolade (standard gauge, in the UK at least) would belong to Black Hawthorn 266 of 1873 "Holwell No.3". 

Paul A. 

The excellent High Level Models kit being an example.
Now, if somebody made a ready-to-run model of that beast, I'd be first in the queue for one.

• Like 1

Definitely in the market for at least one Hunslet Bo-Bo and a pair of Torpedos having worked on them, including the rebuild of No.72. They can't really get any closer to home as a modelling subject as I can stand at the end of my driveway and see them going up the hill towards BOS plant.

I sincerely hope they do not follow the drawings to the letter with the Hunslets as the frames are modified from original and this is outwardly different in appearance. I do know they are working with the AFRPS as well as the steelworks so they should get it right.

Another interesting point and a reason for me wanting Bellerophon is that it was loaned to the AFRPS many moons ago so did haul tours around the works. 

Cheers,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found this pic I took of Bellerophon under overhaul- or awaiting overhaul- in Haworth Yard possibly in 1976 or 1978- the slide doesn't seem to have a date on it.

1452660690_Bellerophoninbrown.jpg.f52384e20af5c7accdbeec1ad31682c7.jpg

Note how small the loco is compared to the Midland 1F behind.....

And something to be aware of as and when the model appears- the buffers ARE lower than the locos in front  and behind.  Someone will have a moan about it being "wrong" if they are low on the model.....

Les

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I've just found this pic I took of Bellerophon under overhaul- or awaiting overhaul- in Haworth Yard possibly in 1976 or 1978- the slide doesn't seem to have a date on it.

And something to be aware of as and when the model appears- the buffers ARE lower than the locos in front  and behind.  Someone will have a moan about it being "wrong" if they are low on the model.....

Les

Nah they aren't lower. The loco has been standing around so long that the tyres have gone flat.

• Funny 15

On 11/01/2021 at 19:52, The Stationmaster said:

Some torpedo wagons made relatively shortish (63 mile) journeys over BR lines - from Cargo Fleet to Consett for a few years.   There was also another variant at Redcar - again rnning internally - and they were much bigger with a far greater overall height than any of the other types.   The ones which ran to Consett were very different in appearance from the KR model which is based on the internal user wagons at Scunthorpe.  

Lima did one in the past and it wasn't too bad although whether it was based ona UK one or other European version I'm not entirely sure (and it was probably undersize).

Scunthorpes torpedoes also used to cross the Lindsay light railway branch between scunthorpes appleby frodingham and normanby park with the torpedoes 

• Informative/Useful 2

Only just heard about Bellerophon the other day from Railway Modeller and I am tremendously excited for it. I distinctly remember watching some gala weekend film of her in operation thinking 'I bet no one will ever do that'! 

Well done KR Models :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2021 at 22:52, Les1952 said:

Les

I think your comment about the buffers being lower is partly due to the track work and also the fact that she was extremely tired when this photo was taken and has since substantial work done including new tyres. However she is still an inch lower than she should be due to historical wear and tear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I completely missed this one.

Bellerophon ,,,, wow!

I've just become aware thanks to Bernard posting in quite a different thread

So, thanks Bernard!

It's a loco I've long wanted to see in model form, and the poll shows I am not the only one seduced by its quirky but handsome Victorian looks.

It is the perfect little mineral engine for me .... I just have to work out what the connection is that lead to the Haydock Foundry building a further locomotive of the Norfolk Minerals Railway!

Count me in for sure.   If I could give you money now, I would!

Please read into this more than a mere polite expression of interest.

Wow!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

And this reference showed up in the US model press:

https://www.krmodels.ca/ with the Merrill and Ring Shay and a small Canadian grain hopper.

Doing the reverse of Rapido and opening a Canadian/North American operation?

If they do maybe they will get around to that Southern Pacific C-9 Baldwin Consolidation (2-8-0) that has only been made in brass and now retails over $1200 USD if you can find one. (not likely in my remaining lifetime.)

• Like 1