KR Models announce 2021 products

KR Models

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'll have to watch the Shay and Bellerophon.   Maybe not for the same layout.

I have battled with the Model loco US kit built Shay. Nice, but fragile after a lot of use. 
This beast would answer my call for a user friendly Shay at a decent price.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2021 at 22:22, Sandhole said:

I have battled with the Model loco US kit built Shay. Nice, but fragile after a lot of use. 
This beast would answer my call for a user friendly Shay at a decent price.

The Bachmann 80 tonner 3 truck is  a superb model ....after you have installed NWSL   bevel gears .My one has two split gears but as they are both on the rear truck ijust c racked them off and left the shaft ..I have still to install the upgrades .I too will be lusting for the KR shay .

• Like 2

On 13/06/2021 at 20:21, friscopete said:

The Bachmann 80 tonner 3 truck is  a superb model ....after you have installed NWSL   bevel gears .My one has two split gears but as they are both on the rear truck ijust c racked them off and left the shaft ..I have still to install the upgrades .I too will be lusting for the KR shay .

I bought a Bachmann Climax.
That has turned out fragile with a lot of use. I'm still working out how to get the slipping stuff to work properly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, we “interested “ people in the KR Models iteration of Bellerophon have received an email this afternoon informing us that the order book is now open! Fantastic. But what has happened to the DCC sound fitted version that we were told about? Has it quietly been left off the final order options are are there other plans in the pipeline? 

• 6 months later...

An email went out yesterday to those of us on the mailing list for the Hunslet Bo-Bo stating the order book is now open.

I'm very happy that 72 in her current guise has been chosen as I worked on her frames during her last major rebuild / overhaul. 

79 'Big Keith' is a welcome choice too, it being the last one I worked on before I left. 

The ep samples shown look fantastic and I can't wait for my pair of 72 and 79 to arrive. 

Cheers,

• Like 5

The quality of GT3 convinced me to order a Hunslet for my fictitious Manchester Steel.
I alter time periods depending what I'm running on my train set. This Hunslet will be a good stablemate for my YE Janus's, handling modern rolling stock.
She'll need a minor repaint, but I've ordered the livery variant nearest my livery.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

A quick jolly around Wear Yard to see how well they run (actually really well). They are fully functioning test samples - the torpedo is controlled via DCC to rotate in either direction on command. I am told a non functioning DC model will also be available. 

3EC21460-DBD9-4054-913C-32D7D54C42C3.jpeg.befd10adb0668ca0ac50129b9262fd92.jpeg        

19EB2AE0-340B-49D3-9571-0A78D298A090.jpeg.239e556ea2048a2e4051b90201e14098.jpeg

50733F60-99FF-480F-ACF7-6583854853D3.jpeg.46875c092ce73c8b00600c61ecee2ef7.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I can only agree with Jenny that weathered livery as standard would have been far more realistic and is a missed opportunity; whilst I do like the wagon, it does look like rather gaudy plastic rather than heavy steel, and the colours - particularly the white and orange - are just far too bright for a very dirty heavy industry.

I don't see the torpedo rotation being used prototypically on many layouts, as it should only ever going to be emptied in one place which has to be specially built for the purpose.  Likewise its loading point, although I assume you don't rotate it there.  The clip shows it being rotated through 90 degrees always towards the same side - could it be rotated the other way in the event of the wagon having been turned en route? 

I can't help wondering about operating guidance in the event that it can't reach its destination quickly enough because of line blockage or loco failure etc - would you consider discharging it lineside to save the wagon?  How long do you have before it is too late?  What happens to any steel remaining inside  when it's unloaded - can it be cleaned internally??  Or does the residue just melt and amalgamate with the next full load?

On top of that, on the vast majority of layouts these wagons woud be as out of place as the Tri-ang giraffe car.  So while I do like it as I said, I won't be buying.  I just hope for manufacturer's sake that enough others decide the other way that the manufacturer's bravery in doing this one is rewarded.  I'm pleased to see such an obscure prototype being offered in RTR; however if there's one future RTR product on offer I would put money on unsold stock being remaindered off later at a big discount, I'm afraid this is it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2022 at 16:34, Michael Hodgson said:

I can only agree with Jenny that weathered livery as standard would have been far more realistic and is a missed opportunity; whilst I do like the wagon, it does look like rather gaudy plastic rather than heavy steel, and the colours - particularly the white and orange - are just far too bright for a very dirty heavy industry.

Images of a weathered version have been shared on Facebook by KR Models, soon available to pre-order.

I’ve suddenly just become much more interested in adding a torpedo to my collection! I think it looks spot on! 👌

B4565918-D3B7-4BE6-B8DE-EDA6DA126539.jpeg