Oxford Rail 2021?

nathan70000

I know Oxford usually make an announcement at the London Toy Fair around this time of year, that is cancelled of course but will anything be taking place online?

Obviously they've yet to deliver on what was announced in 2019 and 2020, which is understandable for such a small manufacturer, so it wouldn't be surprising if they took a break.

The Oxford announcements have always caught my eye the past few years- unlike Hornby, Oxford seem to be targeting the smaller, workaday locomotives that fill significant gaps in the market. Their choice of wagons have also been (pleasantly!) surprising.

• RMweb Gold

With an Oxford P3/J27 loco on pre-order (delayed) the most useful thing would be the sort of progress bar that Hattons did for a while on the progress of their new items. I don’t mind models being delayed, and currently plenty of reasons why that might be, but not knowing how things are progressing/when the £ cost will hit my account is an irritant. With preorders from 3 different companies (Oxford, Hornby & TMC) , currently all delayed, the lack of progress is frustrating. Commercial constraints probably account for it, so understandable. The Hornby one particularly annoying as it is only a livery change release, the base model has been out for ages.

Edited by john new
Another typo TMC not GMC
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, john new said:

With an Oxford P3/J27 loco on pre-order (delayed) the most useful thing would be the sort of progress bar that Hattons did for a while on the progress of their new items. I don’t mind models being delayed but not knowing how things are progressing/when the £ cost will hit my account is an irritant. With preorders from 3 different companies (Oxford, Hornby & GMC) , currently all delayed, the lack of progress is frustrating. Commercial constraints probably account for it, so understandable. The Hornby one particularly annoying as it is only a livery change release, the base model has been out for ages.

Going by the way things are these days, if I were you, I’d prioritise your order from the General Medical Council. As for financing, rather than wait until you need the money, it might be a good idea to watch the market and sell your kidney when demand is high. :jester:

• Funny 3

Getting frustrated by the Virgin Mk3s not appearing. I emailed them back in August I think, and they said they had been delayed because of covid, but were due imminently. Still no sign, and they haven't responded to me when I queried again recently. 

I guess they will be here eventually, but I will end up buying Hornby ones if it takes too much longer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveahudson said:

Getting frustrated by the Virgin Mk3s not appearing. I emailed them back in August I think, and they said they had been delayed because of covid, but were due imminently. Still no sign, and they haven't responded to me when I queried again recently.

I'm still hoping the've been delayed to coincide with an announcement of a new class 86. The image the've used for the Virgin coaches is a big clue, showing more class 86 than mk3! It was also rumoured that another manufacturer was looking to produce the 86. With nothing in their range to haul the mk3s, Oxford could really do with a suitable loco...

3 hours ago, daveahudson said:

I guess they will be here eventually, but I will end up buying Hornby ones if it takes too much longer!

That's exactly what I did! Though I'll still buy a rake of the Oxford ones. The pictures do look good so hopefully worth the wait.

Im hoping for a J21 as they seem to be making their way through the NER engines that made it to BR. 

Why am I suspecting something like a Hymek...? To be honest don't think there will be much as they go for a bit of a catch up too. Maybe an update on some projects and probably an annoucement of something else along the lines of rail gun, etc - a massive novelty that really isn't needed but everyone will still buy...  

• RMweb Premium

On their Facebook page, Oxford Rail have wished readers a happy New Year, and that "things have not stopped here at Oxford and projects are progressing. We will shortly give an update on the date for future announcements".  There are short updates on the Pilchard, GER box van and the Cowans Sheldon crane.

I'm just passing this info on as an RMweb member interested in Oxford Rail's products. 

John Storey 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/01/2022 at 13:51, The Black Hat said:

Wonder if there is still much more to come from Oxford or if most will shift to Hornby. Still hoping that J21 will follow the J27... as the latter was not done from Hornby. 

Not sure Oxford will announce an LNER loco four years in a row but I wouldn't be disappointed if they did do a J21...

The Oxford announcement (if it happens) will probably come around the last week of the month, but perhaps it's best to start a new thread??

Edited by nathan70000
  • Agree 1

The London Toy Fair is held at Olympia between 25-27 January. Can we expect or hope for something from Oxford around then. 

I seem to remember reading Oxford Rail had a coordinated plan of releases so is this the year for something LMS based. A new Black 5 is a gap in the market that needs filling! Or maybe a new loco giving the impression of looking like Lion? Or to be really radical something generic? A generic 50’ bogie coach perhaps?

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Some news on when their NE vans were coming wouldn't go amiss.:read:

Covered in the separate topics on the GER vans and the LNER banana vans.  All due very soon I believe (Jan-March 2022).

From Facebook:

I would also usually be preparing for our next announcement to take place at the end of this month, but as we still climb through the challenges that Covid has left us with, we are delaying this until May to allow us time to catch up on items already announced. We still face some costly price increases to importation as well and major delays which have affected the release of new goods greatly.

We continue to push through, and we will see some new tooling in this present release as well as over the next few months. Something to look forward to.

https://www.facebook.com/oxfordrail/posts/3061563237389306

• Informative/Useful 2

On 13/01/2022 at 19:35, ndg910 said:

A new Black 5 is a gap in the market that needs filling! 

Gets my vote. I can use as many Black Fives as I can get, but not at £250* a time for the new Hornby one. I'm not paying that for a £150 loco with another £100-worth of pointless gimmicks included. (Working lamps ? Which if you can see them in daylight are too bright?). 

If Oxford can do one for less they'll get my money, I can take care of the detail differences myself. 

(* At least, by the time it gets here). 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 13/01/2022 at 19:35, ndg910 said:

The London Toy Fair is held at Olympia between 25-27 January. Can we expect or hope for something from Oxford around then

They're not on the list of exhibitors this year.

• Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Gets my vote. I can use as many Black Fives as I can get, but not at £250* a time for the new Hornby one. I'm not paying that for a £150 loco with another £100-worth of pointless gimmicks included. (Working lamps ? Which if you can see them in daylight are too bright?). 

If Oxford can do one for less they'll get my money, I can take care of the detail differences myself. 

(* At least, by the time it gets here). 

I'd expect there will be plenty of older Hornby models appear on the market once the new version appears. They would be a good buy to fill your gap. 

• Agree 3