Coil A, by Accurascale

Just now, Islesy said:

Hello Dave, hope you're keeping well? The canopy shewn is merely the first EP plain one, with a more detailed 'lumpy' version currently being worked on...

I am still breathing at least. :D Good to know that it's a moulding, anyway. I always thought the fabric covers on Bachmann's Clay Hoods were awful.

• Agree 2

Certainly didn't see this one coming! As I understand, the very similar Coil B used the same underframe as the MDV, so I assume these did too. In which case it makes a lot of sense for Accurascale to do them if they're already producing the underframe. Coil B on the way later perhaps...?!

Top marks to tackle an unusual prototype! I will definitely be getting a pack or two to run in mixed freights / steel trains whenever I get my 1970's layout underway!

Cameron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JSpencer said:

For me, this is the sort of wagon that might sell well in single units. It's an odd beast that would look great by itself on a layout

Indeed. Not all coil workings were block trains to large industrial sites. An example that might have used Coil A was a couple of wagons of coil from BSC Gartcosh to Hafod Full-Load Terminal, Swansea. The coils were then taken to Signode at Waunarllwyd for processing into metal banding; used, amongst other things, to secure coiled steel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Note that despite them being a rather regional wagon I did record one for repair at Horwich works. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoila/e1d129531 The Coil B has been mentioned. Our drawings have been offered and one that has wider geographical use, although they ended up working with the Coil A.

I'll admit a wagon type that I was hopeful would be produced when we started publishing drawings - rather less well known than many but with some play value. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Fran,

Didnt see this one coming and looks like another very nicely detailed wagon. I possibly saw them when I was very young at Hamworthy but I don’t remember them. I know they use to run in fairly large numbers with imported Coil to Swindon in the early 80’s from photos I’ve seen. Whilst these are too early for me the focus on steel wagons does bode well for the future if the later bogie types appear!

37293 Eastleigh 7-6-90

Cheers

Mark

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What are the arrangements re exporting to the EU for those of us cast adrift?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

VAT is automatically removed from the website for those living in the EU and you will pay locally on arrival. There is no duty on model trains so you will not face charges there.

HTH

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, farren said:

Sorry forgive my ignorance, would these ever have been in mixed freight with a steam loco at the head? Or would they have been more block/ mixed steel work with a Diesel. 

When they were delivered, steam had about four years to run in South Wales, and more than that elsewhere. They could easily have turned up as one or two wagons in a mixed freight, hauled by a steam loco. A rather skanky 'Grange' or 8F would look lovely with a couple of these intermingled between a mixture of other types.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, mike knowles said:

Will they be suitable for conversion to P4?

Absolutely, drop in convertible, with P4/EM brake gear in the accessory bag.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

A bit of prototype inspiration for you courtesy of Mr. Dedman on Flicr

47286 Redbridge 25-7-84

47280 Southampton Maritime 3-7-86

They were later given through air pipes and recoded SFWs as recorded here by the Gent of Leisure (our lovely tipplers alongside!)

Gronk on Steel Trip

They ran mixed with other tarped coil beauties of the period, as seen here by David Flitcroft 

Balshaw Lane 50040

Will dig out some more!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 18:45, Accurascale Fran said:

They ran mixed with other tarped coil beauties of the period, as seen here by David Flitcroft 

Balshaw Lane 50040

Will dig out some more!

Cheers,

Fran

Interesting with a class 50 on it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

When they were delivered, steam had about four years to run in South Wales, and more than that elsewhere. They could easily have turned up as one or two wagons in a mixed freight, hauled by a steam loco. A rather skanky 'Grange' or 8F would look lovely with a couple of these intermingled between a mixture of other types.

Thank you, I can run mine happy when they arrive. 

• Like 1

I’ve just moved house before Xmas, want to buy a class 37 and another pack of HOP wagons! Than there’s the 21ton mineral wagon and now this! Plus I’ve got to find the money to do the model railway room in the garage! Well done AS!

Now where’s the steam engine to go with these Pre TOPS wagons 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

VAT is automatically removed from the website for those living in the EU and you will pay locally on arrival. There is no duty on model trains so you will not face charges there.

HTH

Fran

Sounds complicated as a system. So I wonder if this means that the delivery man turns up and asks for a cheque for the VAT before leaving you with a parcel!

And what about stuff ordered and paid for last year but not yet sent out and recieved?

Edited by JSpencer

Just need to do the BNX bogies coil wagon and BVW bogie coil wagons ( not sure of their pre decimal codes )  , the  covered ones worked with  coil A and coil B from South Wales , the BNX and BVW  moved North and the covers were removed  working out of Grimsby to Sheffield with imported stainless steel coil . These lasted in to the early 1990's 

20117 20169 On the Coils

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Sounds complicated as a system. So I wonder if this means that the delivery man turns up and asks for a cheque for the VAT before leaving you with a parcel!

And what about stuff ordered and paid for last year but not yet sent out and recieved?

Hi John,

This is how it works coming from any non EU country into an EU country and one of the results of the UK leaving the EU. This is the same for any goods.

As that VAT is paid already and the transaction is pre transition it will be declared so on anything sent out. However, things are such a mess right now it’s a situation we’re continually monitoring for more information. Once there is clarity affected customers will be contacted.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Interesting choice of prototype. Looking at those prototype photos it's very noticable that no two hoods are the same. Can the model be done with each side different perhaps so that they don't all look identical? A rake would look fairly unrealistically if they were all exactly the same. Looking at the EP the bend in the hood at the side doesn't match where the impression of the tarp bar is which looks really odd to me. 

Justin

• Like 1
  • Agree 1