Coil A, by Accurascale

Wow "Farren".  Those hoods are looking fantastic every time I see a new piccie. I know Accurascale have worked really hard to make what is essentially a plastic blob into a credible looking wagon sheet draped over the wagon framework. I think you have achieved it Fran and boys, but I will close it off when my six arrive here hopefully in the next couple of weeks. 

The only real decision is what to put on the front of them.  A scruffy Welsh centre headcode 37, or a Hymek, or a 47, or a class 24 maybe.  My memories of them are at Wednesbury and Brierley Hill with traffic from South Wales, but I could equally go with their original purpose and use classic LMR sulzer type 2s. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Wow "Farren".  Those hoods are looking fantastic every time I see a new piccie. I know Accurascale have worked really hard to make what is essentially a plastic blob into a credible looking wagon sheet draped over the wagon framework. I think you have achieved it Fran and boys, but I will close it off when my six arrive here hopefully in the next couple of weeks. 

The only real decision is what to put on the front of them.  A scruffy Welsh centre headcode 37, or a Hymek, or a 47, or a class 24 maybe.  My memories of them are at Wednesbury and Brierley Hill with traffic from South Wales, but I could equally go with their original purpose and use classic LMR sulzer type 2s. 

S Wales to West Mids traffic will be passing through Abbotswood and Norton Junctions … a few of these mixed in with other steel wagons in the Wolverhampton steel train.

Just got to paint those shiny wheels and get them weathered.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Had an e-mail notification yesterday that my two packs of coil A 's are on there way to the picturesque town of Gosport, looking forward to  seeing these somewhat unusual wagons on my layout. 

Clearly carrying coil for for marine ship rebuilding,  unless they are competing with the port of Hamworthy for import steel !!!!.

After spending an enjoyable day at the Portsmouth

railway retirement reunion held in the staff club at Fratton , i was sober enough to run my six coil A wagons this evening, all i can say is that these are superb, well don you guys at Accurascale, for producing a cracking wagon, one question if i may, did the blue hooded wagons run with the grey hooded ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Brian Hawkins said:

After spending an enjoyable day at the Portsmouth

railway retirement reunion held in the staff club at Fratton , i was sober enough to run my six coil A wagons this evening, all i can say is that these are superb, well don you guys at Accurascale, for producing a cracking wagon, one question if i may, did the blue hooded wagons run with the grey hooded ones.

Absolutely! Like most things on the rails, there was an extended transition period, so we've chosen running numbers that would comfortably have overlapped with the earlier packs. 

11 hours ago, McC said:

Absolutely! Like most things on the rails, there was an extended transition period, so we've chosen running numbers that would comfortably have overlapped with the earlier packs. 

When did the blue hoods first start appearing may I ask? 

Regards,

Cameron

On 09/10/2021 at 08:59, Mophead45143 said:

When did the blue hoods first start appearing may I ask? 

Regards,

Cameron

I think the hoods where fitted from new. It was only later as they got damaged etc that they'd have been removed. On pauls wagon site they show still on in the 80s but some gone in the 90s. I think they would have travelled with the hood up either empty or loaded. I would like to model one with the hood laid down 

Edited by heavymetalwagons

28 minutes ago, heavymetalwagons said:

I think the hoods where fitted from new. It was only later as they got damaged etc that they'd have been removed. On pauls wagon site they show still on in the 80s but some gone in the 90s. I think they would have travelled with the hood up either empty or loaded. I would like to model one with the hood laid down 

Thanks, but I meant when did the blue hoods first appear (pack C), as appose the the earlier grey hoods (packs A & B). The shots on Pauls site are all 1980's and show a mixture of grey and blue. The assumption being that blue hoods replaced grey hoods.

Cameron

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Thanks, but I meant when did the blue hoods first appear (pack C),

I (think) I have the details for you Cameron, but if you can wait until tomorrow, I’ll let you know then - need to access the office HD!

Edited by Islesy

Very impressed with Accurascale and DHL! Ordered pack A and B, they just arrived at my doorstep in New Zealand only six days after ordering! That's got to be the fastest I've ever received a parcel from the UK. These wagons are absolutely top notch, exquisite and ripe with detail. 

Edited by thohurst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

No worries! Thanks very much.

Cameron

Morning Cameron!

Looking back over my notes, there is no definitive issue date for the blue hoods, however, their fitting does seem to be consistent with the air pipe conversions from around 1983 onwards. One point to note though is that they were not a wholesale replacement for grey hoods across the fleet - I have shots of trains with a mix of grey and blue, as well as wagons on scrap lines with old worn grey hoods, as well as worn (and new) blue hoods.

So if you're looking for a timeframe for introduction, I would take 1983-85 as that date...

Hope that helps,

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, Islesy said:

Morning Cameron!

Looking back over my notes, there is no definitive issue date for the blue hoods, however, their fitting does seem to be consistent with the air pipe conversions from around 1983 onwards. One point to note though is that they were not a wholesale replacement for grey hoods across the fleet - I have shots of trains with a mix of grey and blue, as well as wagons on scrap lines with old worn grey hoods, as well as worn (and new) blue hoods.

So if you're looking for a timeframe for introduction, I would take 1983-85 as that date...

Hope that helps,

Paul.

Thank you very much, most helpful!

Regards,

Cameron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Islesy said:

Morning Cameron!

Hope that helps,

Paul.

The blue sheets started to appear on other wagons from the back-end of the 1970s; I helped fold enough of them at Longport over the winter of 1979- 80.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Actually looking at that again - they appear to be containers in plate wagons - of is the coil D a permanent conversion of a plate?

Jon

Yes, see diag 1/435 in http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFreight2Issue.pdf

I don't have photos, there were similar Coil F (not very similar) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoilplate/e2f3fce97

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Great news! The replacement tension lock couplings have now arrived and we will begin shipping them out to customers from later today. It will take a few days to get through the back orders so please bare with us. 

Cheers!

Fran