Coal 'Divisions' in tender tops.

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

When 'coaling' my Graham Farish Standard 5s, I noted that not all of the apparent coal space on the BR1C tender tops had been 'plastic-coaled' by Farish.   Am I right in assuming that BR designed these tenders to give the option of full or partial loads?

They had different coal and water capacities depending on what duties they were built for. So from the side they look the same, but not when looking from above.

For example if the loco was built for use in East Anglia it didn't need a tender carrying 9 tons of coal when 7t would be adequate, but one working long distances on the WCML would need 9t.

Likewise a locomotive allocated to the SR needed higher water capacity as they didn't have water troughs.

Details of the different types and what they were attached to here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_standard_classes

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

BR1B capacity: coal 7 tons, water 4725 gallons. Originally fitted to 73080-9, 73100-9, 73120-134, 73145-171

BR1C capacity: coal 9 tons, water 4725 gallons. Originally fitted to 73065-79, 73090-9, 73135-144

Note. Like many classes in their latter days, some of the Standard 5s did have their tenders exchanged.

As an aside, coal falling the “wrong” side of the divider must have produced some colourful expletives!

Edited by Right Away