"Not as described" getting worse?

spikey

• RMweb Premium

I did have an interesting one the other day, a seller was advertising a 'never been out of box except to photo to list' loco but the description on the end of the box did not match the contents.  I enquired and received a very polite reply and an apology and the errant photo was swiftly changed to the correct one. 

And then I put in a bid!!  Ironically I would have preferred the one that was listed on the end of the box originally.

• Like 1

Had one the other week... as a buyer this time.

Bought a case for a tablet.  It was just advertised as a "HD 8 case".

Amazon have since updated their HD 8 tablet and changed the position of the camera and speakers.

The seller said I should have checked it was correct.  I said the seller should have listed what version of the tablet the case was for (Amazon update the HD 8 tablet but don't give it a new number).

Seller suggested I was "trying it on" - I replied "how" when I wanted to return it.  However as I'd chosen "doesn't fit" on ebay, they couldn't charge the seller for the returns postage.  Luckily PayPal covered the postage so neither I nor the seller are out off pocket but not a very nice character.  The plain question was why I would bother buying a case that wouldn't fit the tablet I have?  Nobody's fault really but I still feel the seller should have made sure they were specific in their listing.

Unless you have the tablet version from a few years ago, you'll be buying the wrong item.

May as well just list it as "tablet case"!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2021 at 11:51, GWR-fan said:

Have eBay altered their rules so that one's only recourse now is to return an item and hope that the seller will pay return postage?  

I think you might be right. I bought a 50cm metal ruler which was only 5 quid but nevertheless goes some way towards explaining Uri Geller's ability to bend metal. Totally useless so decided to ask to return.

When I went to request a refund it now seems to default to "I have already returned this". I cant be bothered for that low value and its gone in the bin, but it's another factor in me massively scaling back my use of ebay recently.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 22:48, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Maybe the system has changed since I last had to use it...

Possibly something to do with this “Managed Payments” now being rolled out?

As a seller you can pre approve returns based on certain criteria, so the label is generated and buyer refunded as soon as the return process is triggered.

• Like 1

I had a guy contact me to say I had sent an HO gauge coach instead of a Triang OO Red /Cream coach.  When I checked I hadn't sold him anything at all.  I never did get to the bottom of it.   The only time I sent the wrong thing, a Stanier brake instead of Stanier coach bodies I told the guy to keep the brake as a free gift but I buy and sell to build up and upgrade my layout, it's not a business, I buy a coach, fit buffers, detail it, paint it, basically ruin it and sell at a loss, or take one model from a job lot and sell the rest on, I'll never get rich but its fun.

Worse problem is Argos and 3rd party destinations.   I admin my father in laws account as well as mine since he has been unwell recently.  I sold a red yellow Hornby coach for an offer of £8 against a start bid of £5. Sent it off to Argos.   Father in Law had an identical one so I listed that.  Same buyer £7.50. sent a week later. Buyer contacts me asking where mine is.  I ask which one has arrived as we sent two.  He smells a rat and takes Argos to task. One can go missing but not two surely.   After half an hour Argos found both.    I won't send to Argos any more.

There are a lot of people with no interest in model railways selling stuff labelled incorrectly, not maliciously but through ignorance.  Can be great value, but some of it is outrageous and with poor quality pictures easy to but a Lima 94XX instead of the Wills one its advertised as..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am adamant that I post to home addresses only.  Having witnessed in person the utter shambles that is the Click & Collect Point in my local Sainsbury's, I now refuse to have anything to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I think it is a business model for some chinese sellers, who then try to force you into accepting a partial refund, as they point out how difficult and expensive it would be to return for a full refund. I never accept, threaten them with eBay and negative feedback, and I then get a full refund, plus I get to keep the item, as they don't want to pay the return costs. I don't abuse it, but I've had a few that I've had to do it for, as they make their adverts confusing as hell. But I will screen grab the part of the advert that supports my argument.

Case in point. Do you think you are getting the files in options B & C?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154586121305

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes, confusing…as Confusus would say….very confusing.:scratchhead:

The package contents would suggest that A is just the file sheet. B is the files and sandpaper. And C is also the files and sandpaper. 

Specification:

Size: File diameter: 1.5mm /2mm /2.5mm /2.8mm/ 3mm /4mm
Sandpaper: 3.54x9.05inch/9x23cm
Material: stainless steel or sandpaper

Package Includes:

A:12x file sharpener
B:12x file sharpener
6x sandpaper( 400-600-800)
C:12x file sharpener
6x sandpaper(1000-1200-1500)

But the photo shewn when you select each option seems to suggest that A is the file sheet, B is 400 600 800 sandpaper only, and C is 1000 1200 1500 sandpaper only…

Thinking laterally, A is the 12X  file sharpener sheet only. B is 6X sandpaper 400 600 800 FOR 12X file sharpener. C is 6X sandpaper 1000 1200 1500 FOR 12X file sharpener. 

One of those problems that can arise, whether deliberately making things confusing, or accidentally, when different languages and word orders are involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Yes, confusing…as Confusus would say….very confusing.:scratchhead:

The package contents would suggest that A is just the file sheet. B is the files and sandpaper. And C is also the files and sandpaper. 

But the photo shewn when you select each option seems to suggest that A is the file sheet, B is 400 600 800 sandpaper only, and C is 1000 1200 1500 sandpaper only…

Thinking laterally, A is the 12X  file sharpener sheet only. B is 6X sandpaper 400 600 800 FOR 12X file sharpener. C is 6X sandpaper 1000 1200 1500 FOR 12X file sharpener. 

One of those problems that can arise, whether deliberately making things confusing, or accidentally, when different languages and word orders are involved.

I don't think there is anything accidental about it. Considering I forced them into letting me have C for free since it never came with the files.  When you look at the pricing, you just know what they are up to.  Plus, if it was an accident, would they not have modified the advert since, to make it clearer?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2