WIP (AS YET UN-NAMED) - 1970's Far North Terminus

sulzer71

For those interested the layout is inspired by Steve Flint's 'Kyle of Tongue' from the 80's

After ripping up my previous layout and getting the 'bigger railway room' ready I decided to crack on building something more appealing , just before Xmas I cracked on and built the baseboards , originally I planned to do an open frame style layout but being the brilliant carpenter I am :rofl: I over engineered it a bit too much and found I couldn't fit the uprights for the track bed due to lack of space to affix them , so I decided to just lay the baseboards on the frames , last week I managed to get the trackwork done and ended up burning myself out which resulted in a dose of the man flu over the weekend 

Last night I was messing around testing trains over neodymium magnets for uncoupling kadee's , it was then I noticed a couple of areas I wasn't happy with , I spotted a couple of 'humps' in the trackwork which I could have probably have lived with but it would have bugged me!

So after around approx 5 minutes of deliberating the whole lot came up , including the baseboards! , a couple of issues were identified in the bracing and resolved so it's time to start again

The pictures depict having the track laid to bare framework last night :rolleyes:

IMG_20210108_173221_115.jpg

IMG_20210108_173238_773.jpg

IMG_20210111_230224_120.jpg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

Your resolve is something to be admired:D, looking forward to seeing a new Tongue!

I'm still undecided whether to use the Kyle of Tongue name or just go with Tongue , I'm also debating my choice of track and now contemplating going a different route with that so any updates my be irregular for now

I was going to wait until Payday a week on Friday to replace the baseboards but checked the pennies and thought sod it I can eat bread n jam for a week and half so I nipped to get some boards straight from work , a couple of minor alterations to the framework and once screwed down the boards should sit almost perfect , well , way better than they were at least! 

IMG_20210112_203145_880.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to Indomitable026 on here I now have these little beauts to form part of the traction roster , don't worry , I already have the chassis to go under them but won't be getting fitted until they have had some maintenance and I can afford to fit the sound decoders/speakers and upgrade the lighting with some kits I have

IMG_20210112_205039_759.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, David Bell said:

This will be one to watch for sure.

Always like to see another Scottish based layout.

Cheers,

David

Thanks David from another David :) , progress may be slower now as whilst I was ripping the track up the other night I was contemplating replacing it with something better than the code 75 I was using , maybe going down the bullhead route but at the moment Peco don't do a bullhead Y point of which I need 2/3 so thinking about other track suppliers , not sure I want to go down the hand built route but I want track that will do the layout justice as per the original it's inspired by  

• RMweb Premium

You'll be at your Wick's end choosing a name for a Far North terminus Station, Thurso there aren't many, Fortrose (ing) a station, could be hammering on the Dornock, but that might be taking a Lybster (ty)..

PS I model Highland railways in 1963.. My history is as bad as my writing..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

You'll be at your Wick's end choosing a name for a Far North terminus Station, Thurso there aren't many, Fortrose (ing) a station, could be hammering on the Dornock, but that might be taking a Lybster (y)..

PS I model Highland railways in 1963.. My history is as bad as my writing..

I am torn between calling it what it's based on , Steve Flint's 'Kyle of Tongue' or just 'Tongue' , not sure if copying is frowned upon :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• RMweb Premium

You could chose any name from  The Highlands for instance on  the next Loch to left on the map, is the village of Heilam, so you'd have a heilam(d) village station..:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, no it wouldn't.  I confess, I thought you were looking for names, rather than real terminus contending places.  

Strathnaver, Armadale, Melvich, and Sutherland/Dounreay all have natural harbours, so they could be contenders then. Dounreay has the advatage that in later life it had an airfield.

Best

Scott.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Well, no it wouldn't.  I confess, I thought you were looking for names, rather than real terminus contending places.  

Strathnaver, Armadale, Melvich, and Sutherland/Dounreay all have natural harbours, so they could be contenders then. Dounreay has the advatage that in later life it had an airfield.

Best

Scott.

Thanks Scott , I'll keep those in mind

If I recall Steve's RM article about his layout, you could always use the alternative nickname his mates had for it; the 'Pyle of Dungue".... :jester:

Edit - on re-reading my post - No offence intended!! It was just about the name. You look to be making a great start, and also capturing the sense of space that 'Tongue had. :good:

Edited by F-UnitMad
Clarification!!
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

If I recall Steve's RM article about his layout, you could always use the alternative nickname his mates had for it; the 'Pyle of Dungue".... :jester:

Indeed , I have the magazine though it was 'Pile of Dung' in the write up I believe   

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Edit - on re-reading my post - No offence intended!! It was just about the name. You look to be making a great start, and also capturing the sense of space that 'Tongue had. :good:

No offence Taken although that picture shows it just before I ripped it up and sorted the baseboards as I wasn't happy with them , for now I can't see me making much more progress than painting/sealing the new boards/reducing the height of and refitting the backscene boards as I'm undecided as to whether I'm going to rebuild it with the Peco 75 track I have or start agin with Bullhead track