WIP (AS YET UN-NAMED) - 1970's Far North Terminus

sulzer71

On 25/01/2021 at 11:56, sulzer71 said:

Right guys , I'm looking for some advice on 'Trackside Furniture' so to speak , when looking at the articles I have on Kyle of Tongue I've noticed there's a lack of items such as cable trunking , point rodding , ground signals etc , I'm also hoping someone could possibly point me in the right direction of suitable semaphore signals for the area , I have absolutely no clue when it comes to the infrastructure etc so all advice will be gratefully received 

Tia 

Dave

Anyone?

On 26/01/2021 at 15:04, sulzer71 said:

Anyone?

• RMweb Premium

There are two ways at looking at trackside furniture on former highland lines..

Traditionally Highland Railways boxed in their point rodding to prevent snow  / ice freezing them up and signal cable to semaphore signals went to the signals on 10ft -15ft posts above ground for the same reason..

Today  the lines are radio controlled with "electronic tokens" and very few conventional signals.

• Like 1

Some new bits and pieces today , DCC concepts rolling road , SLW 24081 , bought from Rails , missing a buffer and a couple of wipers , this will be modified/converted to Tyne Dock exile 24104 in her final days of 74/75 as an Inverness machine

IMG_20210128_200628_566.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

Hi David, are you aware of the Pop Up Designs kits?  If not, some of their range may be of interest to your project.

Hi , yes I'm aware of them and will be ordering some bits in a couple of weeks due to them currently moving premises they are not sending out orders while around the 8th , cheers

• Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 09:10, TheQ said:

There are two ways at looking at trackside furniture on former highland lines..

Traditionally Highland Railways boxed in their point rodding to prevent snow  / ice freezing them up and signal cable to semaphore signals went to the signals on 10ft -15ft posts above ground for the same reason..

Today  the lines are radio controlled with "electronic tokens" and very few conventional signals.

Don't suppose you know of any photo's of the former do you as I'm modelling the 1970's?

Dave

1 hour ago, Ben Alder said:

Have you looked through Ernies archives of the FNL as it has plenty shots of infrastructure from that era. Boxed in rodding is too early for your era.

Not as yet , will have a look at some point , trying to get my head around some of the finer details before I start laying the track again , the backscene is my main problem at the moment

Hi, hope your all safe and well.

with all due respect to everyone else who covers the FNL, Ernies Flickr pages is a must. Many a happy hour spent browsing through the images and these have been most helpful in my own research.

wishing you all the best with the project and will be following closely.

regards

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, definate maybe said:

Hi, hope your all safe and well.

with all due respect to everyone else who covers the FNL, Ernies Flickr pages is a must. Many a happy hour spent browsing through the images and these have been most helpful in my own research.

wishing you all the best with the project and will be following closely.

regards

Mark

The main problem with Ernies pages is that you go to look at something specific and come out 2 hours later with a plan for a different layout that you’d never even considered before.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2021 at 17:20, Ben Alder said:

Have you looked through Ernies archives of the FNL as it has plenty shots of infrastructure from that era. Boxed in rodding is too early for your era.

Any chance of a link, please?

Always interested in late-60s and early-70s FNoS pics to help with inspiration and detail for my little micro terminus Dounreay (sorry, sulzer71, I 'baggsied' that a while back ;) )

• Like 1

More deliveries this week whilst layout building is on hold , really need to figure out what I'm doing re backscenes then I can get cracking again

This was purchased from @jbgon here , yet another pre-tops 26  with a selection of Shawplan parts 

IMG_20210201_180857_034.jpg

Edited by sulzer71
  • Like 1

On 01/02/2021 at 19:31, CloggyDog said:

Any chance of a link, please?

Always interested in late-60s and early-70s FNoS pics to help with inspiration and detail for my little micro terminus Dounreay (sorry, sulzer71, I 'baggsied' that a while back ;) )

It's something I did consider :)

Not much to report currently , still awaiting delivery of a load of cork sheet to cover the baseboards replacing the foam which I wasn't happy with and I still need to get my head around the backscene before I start laying track again

Meanwhile I had another laser cut kit delivered this weekend and just had several parcels delivered to my work this morning so will upload those tomorrow

IMG_20210206_095856_004.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Made a start on the SLW 24 repairs , it was worse than I thought , fortunately I have just about all the bits needed to rebuild , not sure if ROS bodged this together or whether the previous owner did , had quite a significant drop by the looks of it on one end , even the wheels were all over the place which are gonna need the back to back on them

IMG_20210204_203204_892.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1