Land Rover Series III LWB?

Pillar

Cararama did a few in 1/72, the LWB is about 5mm longer than the equivalent Oxford SIIa. 

BW Models (I think) did a fairly duff plastic kit, not sure if it was passed on to Airfix with the rest of the range but it can best be described as 'Landover-esque'. The Sankey trailer in it was quite nice though.

• Agree 2

JB Models (not BW Models whose kits white metal, I believe). I used to have one, unfortunately don't any more so I can't confirm the scale. Now in the Airfix range.

Wheelbase should be a scale 109", of course, or 36⅓mm in 4mm scale, but would be 38.45mm if 1:72.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

As has been said  the cararama one was a good model, it even had the underside correctly modelled (I know as I have a 12" to 1' series 3 sat in the garage!) but was to 1:72 however it wasn't obvious, especially if it was placed near the front of the layout and not near other vehicles. You mention doing an electricity board vehicle, a number of the boards used the 1 ton variant (eg Southern Electric) which had bigger wheels/suspension components so actually the slightly high Cararama variant is a good one to use.

If you don't want the scale compromise then one option would be to do a cut and shut of an Oxford series 3 front on to a LWB 2A rear as the panels forward of the B post were the same dimensions. 

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

JB Models (not BW Models whose kits white metal, I believe).

Yes that's then, thanks. I knew there was a 'B' in it !

L-r: Cararama S3, CMSC S3, BW S2a, JB/Airfix S3, Oxford S2a. 

20210113_082816.jpg.eac7f14710fc78cb2ec72d97367724c9.jpg

These are lined up with the back ends in line, the Oxford, BW and CMSC wheelbases are 36mm, JB/Airfix 35mm,Cararama 38mm. 

CMSC are allegedly still available but I've no idea where from, sorry. The Airfix one has been partly converted to a 110 and shows the point at which I realised that this was trying to put lipstick on a pig. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks All for the info. It looks like I may end up doing a cut-and-shut using some Oxford models, or just waiting until they inevitably do a LWB Series III. The Cararama model looks great but the difference in scale would bug me.

FYI, these are the kind of prototypes I'm considering: http://eblrs.org/neeb/.

Cheers,

Liam

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pillar said:

Thanks All for the info. It looks like I may end up doing a cut-and-shut using some Oxford models, or just waiting until they inevitably do a LWB Series III. The Cararama model looks great but the difference in scale would bug me.

FYI, these are the kind of prototypes I'm considering: http://eblrs.org/neeb/.

Cheers,

Liam

Sounds like a good plan. The Series 3's in the photo are all standard 109's (LWB) rather than the rarer 1 ton which SEB used.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

The Cararama S111  LWB is good and cheap as chips on Ebay , in soft top , hard top, pick up and station wagon forms.

Only complaint is to create a  hardtop they painted the soft top body colour.

Not so, they produced a genuine hard top too. I have one sat on the desk by me as I type

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Not so, they produced a genuine hard top too. I have one sat on the desk by me as I type

They also did a truck cab, I remember cutting one up for my Land Rover grave yard on Pallet Lane some years ago.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For info, though not particularly useful in your quest Liam, Kingfisher models produce the ex-CMSC Land Rovers among other things. May be worth keeping an eye on their site as they have quite an extensive range of which only some appear to be available at any given time.

http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk/vehicles-1-76-scale-c1.htm

Regards

SPD

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1