Hornby catalogue 2021 errors!

djo

Hi all,

Just perusing the new Hornby 2021 catalogue, and spotted a couple of howlers.

Apparently the Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy pacifics are designed by Sir William Stanier.

I'm sure the Deltic "Ballymoss" has two L's and not just one...

I don't believe the engineer had a G in Billinton. He was LBSCR, so why is there an E2 in SECR colours? Just as fictional as the Thomas moulding this obviously was!

I know, I know it's pedantry but they made me chuckle. 

I always enjoy looking through the catalogue each year, and dreaming for a moment of having a huge layout to run everything on!

Apart from the minor niggles it's a super book. Well done to Hornby.

David

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

55 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I don't think the SECR 0-6-0T is a model of an E2.  The original Hornby LBSCR E2 had shorter tanks, fewer cab windows and fewer coal rails.  It is simply Thomas the Tank engine without a face in SECR livery.

The E2 tooling was modified to form Thomas.

There's an error in the data panels for the Peckett B2 which actually had a 6 pin decoder socket while in the thread on the 88DS there are errors noted re the parking location of one loco. 

4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I don't think the SECR 0-6-0T is a model of an E2.  The original Hornby LBSCR E2 had shorter tanks, fewer cab windows and fewer coal rails.  It is simply Thomas the Tank engine without a face in SECR livery.

All very true, but Billinton was the locomotive engineer of the LBSCR, not SECR!

The Hornby Thomas was made from the mutilated tool that used to be the Hornby LBSCR E2 model I believe.

• Agree 2

Some E2 locos had the extended tanks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_E2_class

But the cab and bunker rails, and tank top details is pure Thomas from the TV series...

Trix also made a model of an E2 loco...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, maico said:

The new tool Coronation Scot coaches seem to be missing from it although they are still on the website.

The catalogue only seems to include new for 2021 releases, for example seems the APT isn't included, although that's not even released yet (being a 2020 'release'). Strikes me as rather confusing for those not in the know.

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

The catalogue only seems to include new for 2021 releases, for example seems the APT isn't included, although that's not even released yet (being a 2020 'release'). Strikes me as rather confusing for those not in the know.

The B12 I bought last year is in it and that wasn't a 2021 release, and the coaches slated for Q2 2021 aren't !

I just assumed it was a full range catalogue when I bought it like the Trix one I get.

• Like 1

The 2021 catalogue is a bit of a mess and confusing as spamcan61 says 

Some things are not shown and some have been in there for years like the class 71 

Not a good record of the Hornby products available in 2021 

I like to look back at the previous year's catalogues so this is a bit disappointing but not the end of the world with everything going on in the world at the moment 

I don't know why Hornby doesn't do a combined volume of say 10 or 20 years of previous catalogues. Maybe Pat Hammond would be the man for the job

11 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

Some things are not shown and some have been in there for years like the class 71 

I like to look back at the previous year's catalogues so this is a bit disappointing but not the end of the world with everything going on in the world at the moment 

I don't know why Hornby doesn't do a combined volume of say 10 or 20 years of previous catalogues. Maybe Pat Hammond would be the man for the job

Vol 4 of his Rovex series has never appeared so to date there is no detailed coverage of products since 1996.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

I hadn't spotted the lack of APT or Coronation Scot models

I think what the catalogue represents are things that you or retailers can order from Hornby in 2021 ie they have stock or are expected to arrive in the year .   So things that are sold out at Hornby , not necesserily  the retailers , are not included . This might account for APT and Coronation Scot .

Its certainly true that things that prove stubbornly hard to shift eg Class 71s, J15s and K1s are all still in there. Presumably since they stopped having "fire sales " they have large stocks still at their distributors .

I think more serious is the fact that certain items which we now possibly understand are available only direct from Hornby eg the Scotrail 47  , possibly the 47 Galloway Princess (the Staycation express, not sure about the associated Mk3s) are not marked as such in the catalogue . Some retailers  assumed that they were left off lists, its in the catalogue after all,  and were actually taking preorders . Now they have realised the issue and have had to cancel preorders .  OK this has got sorted , but you do wonder what else is out there . And we remember issues over Rocket and Duchess of Atholl preorders having to be cancelled last year. Some , the Rocket, were retailer specific , others , The Atholl, seemed to affect several retailers . So it does suggest confusion over allocations can exist .   You really need to have confidence that preorders will be adhered to otherwise what's the point .  You can argue you could order direct on Hornby , but in what way does that support their retailer network?

On a combined volume of catalogues , I think you'll find that actually they are all pretty similar . Pat Hammonds 100 year history book is very good and provides a good summary year by year , up to last year obviously!

Edited by Legend