Inspiration for Low Relief Back-scene Premises?

Evening!  I made a simple super-low relief parcel depot yesterday, and now I've got the bug! 

I had originally intended to just have this one premises on the back wall of the layout and then whack up brick wall along the rest. But I'm feeling inspired to maybe add more interesting structures / premises and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

The only limiting factor I can see is that the depth I have to play with is literally 4mm or so, I think that restricts me to "Flat Roof" buildings, but I'm happy to be corrected.

I'd love to feature a pub on the layout, with windowslooking out over the lines (mainly because that's the sort of pub I could spend hours in!)  

The layout is very late 70's early 80's and heavy on artistic license(!)

• RMweb Gold

Sketch very roughly what you think might work onto an old flattened cardboard box or cereal packet. If you like the look of it in situ on the layout then design something more final. An example of mine. not yet progressed as I didn't like some aspects of it, to show what I mean as the technique. Zero cost apart from a bit of glue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Pubs are often incredibly boring seen from the back. I guess that they usually have a yard for the empties and back additions for kitchens or toilets. So a low relief one could be tricky. This one, near Tower Bridge is a listed building with a traditional city pub frontage, but apart from the beer garden effect, which spills on to a public square, there is little to tell that it is a pub from the back, apart from the signs.

Anchor Tap rear Brewery Square SE1 9 8 2006 cropped.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Pubs are often incredibly boring seen from the back. I guess that they usually have a yard for the empties and back additions for kitchens or toilets. So a low relief one could be tricky. This one, near Tower Bridge is a listed building with a traditional city pub frontage, but apart from the beer garden effect, which spills on to a public square, there is little to tell that it is a pub from the back, apart from the signs.

Anchor Tap rear Brewery Square SE1 9 8 2006 cropped.jpg

I quite agree with you, I'd be stretching "rule one" a bit with this idea.  The only pub I can currently think of with anything resembling a rear "vista" is Margate Wetherspoon's (not what I would call a "pub" personally, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a visit!) it just happens to back on to Dreamland's car park, and as such a few window tables offer elevated views of the various rollercoaster rides etc during the summer season.  

12 hours ago, Ray Von said:

I quite agree with you, I'd be stretching "rule one" a bit with this idea.  The only pub I can currently think of with anything resembling a rear "vista" is Margate Wetherspoon's (not what I would call a "pub" personally, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a visit!) it just happens to back on to Dreamland's car park, and as such a few window tables offer elevated views of the various rollercoaster rides etc during the summer season.  

Had to look twice to make sure this wasn't Witherspoon's Glassblower in Castleford' old post office!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 23:27, Ray Von said:

A pub which has a better view from the back is The Angel on the riverside in Bermondsey. However the back is not that beautiful, as you can see below. It is a two-storey box built on over the river wall. I had a leaving meal with colleagues there. If you want a good looking back, there must be some more attractive riverside pubs around.

The Angel B Wall East 6.3.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Recently installed a half relief row of cottages at Cwmdimbath, but the location on the layout requires them to stand out proud of the backscene.  Cwmdimbath doesn't have a conventional backscene, it has a precipitous mountainside corrent for the actual location, but my intention was to force a foreshortened perspective suggesting that the stream runs between the rear of this terrace of cottages and the mountain.  This leaves an exposed half end, which I have disguised with a tree.

• Like 1

Foamboard makes a good basis for low relief buildings and is easy to work.

Cut holes for windows, doors etc.  Cover with embossed plasticard or printed sheets (Scale Model a Scenery or Scalescenes for instance) and add to layout.

Agree with John New's idea of test with cereal packet 'prototypes' first before any proper structure is started.

steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 1