Buildings in Blender for 3D Printing.

• RMweb Gold

I've the pump house to do, and I'd like to investigate windows and doors as well, so there will be more to come. In the meantime, here's the last one in this series.

I'm on a Microsoft 10 machine, so I can take advantage of MS 3D Builder to repair any problems with the model that I've created. This is the easiest way of checking your model, as it's just a simple button click. I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with a file that has gone through that step.

If you have a different version of Windows, a Mac or other software, then there are more options out there that give you a varying amount of control. I link the simple one button click as I'm no longer one to tinker with tools. These include, but aren't limited to:

And like Blender, they're all free!

Remember - always check/repair your file before printing or firing off to Shapeways!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I promised some doors, so here are three different doors you can do, and only one new command to think about. You can use these basic doors as a basis for a whole load of different door styles. The stable door could become a single or double factory door, and the panels on the panelled door could be done in many different ways. You could create one big panel, delete it, and have a glass door (make two, one slightly in front of the other, and you have sliding patio doors), and it wouldn't take too much to turn a panelled door into French doors.

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, but something to show how capable Blender is if you have the time and inclination.

Radek Grec has been using Blender for a few years, and recently he's been putting his short videos up on the Blender Beginners Facebook group that I'm also a member of. He's been using his model of a streamlined diesel to learn different aspects of the program, and put his results together in this short film.

• Like 1

That's  brilliant,  there's  a whole world of opportunities opening up to those who can grasp 3D software and its uses. 

For instance, similarly slightly off topic but Blender related.

My 'other' interest is model ship building and I got this link off a forum I'm a member of.

Its a 3D rendering project using Blender created from  ship plans of an 18th century British naval   vessel.  The results will be incorporated into a book that is   intended to be an aid to modellers who purchase the plans to build a model.

Its impossible to work out if they are renderings or actual model parts, but they are all 3D renderings created in Blender.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/16463-swan-class-3d-model-in-progress/

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's amazing! It's brilliant to see that a free program can produce work like that.

In a far more mundane situation, I created the general shapes of my house yesterday so that my wife could see what the changes to our roofline would look like - we were also able to send the image to the builder to check.

house.jpg.aa8b5c7164dad8888f5fc961a5691768.jpg

• 7 months later...

Watching the latest Luke Towan video and he is using a Blender add-on called "Wallfactory" that I wasn't aware of before.

From a quick look it seems to do all the hard work of doing the brick and stone courses for any size and shape wall you want.

Havent delved into it much yet to see if it can handle different brick bonds other than stretcher  but looks promising  for random stone walls if nothing else since Lukes brick wall appears to have bricks of slightly differing protrusions  which looks pretty sweet.

Here's his video showing the result, there's a few tutorials on the actual addon  of varying quality on youtube if you search for blender wallfactory.

(He's also using a Nova3D Whale 2 which I'd never heard of before either - looks like an Elegoo Saturn/ Anycubic Mono X competitor).

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2