Is the point clicking sound on point switching annoying ?

Point clicking sound at exhibitions   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is the point clicking sound on point switching annoying ?

• Its an annoying sound
    • I dont mind
    • I like the clicking sound on point switch

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 40034_Nick said:

I am wondering if i should remove the springs of my points ?? 

Only if you are using slow-motion point motors that have their own locking mechanism to hold the blades in place. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Real points either go 'kerlunk' if manual, or 'whirrrklunk' if powered. Tortoise motors sound a bit like the latter. Either way you can hear them going over. A click is a reassuring acknowledgement that the message has got through. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

One day I will have a layout so perfect that the only thing to worry about is...............

Seriously, if the click is a thump due to a home-brewed CDU then you might have a problem. Peco's points were not designed to take this punishment for long. Maybe you are blessed with much better hearing than most of us!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, doilum said:

One day I will have a layout so perfect that the only thing to worry about is...............

Seriously, if the click is a thump due to a home-brewed CDU then you might have a problem. Peco's points were not designed to take this punishment for long. Maybe you are blessed with much better hearing than most of us!

Peco point motors aren't designed to have the power applied for too long either! You get a horrible burning smell if you do.

A CDU prevents that and I would suggest a clunk is much kinder to solenoid motors, than excessive heat.

37 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Peco point motors aren't designed to have the power applied for too long either! You get a horrible burning smell if you do.

A CDU prevents that and I would suggest a clunk is much kinder to solenoid motors, than excessive heat.

I only use Servos with ESU switchpilot servos.. 

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Sorry, I was thinking back to the days of H&M. I think the club scrapped at least two layouts because the points had passed the point of no return! That said, the home brewed CDU would now be classified as lethal weapons.

At my age, when I hear my points go clunk, I can rest assured that (i) my hearing still functions (ii) my points still function............to me the noise of points changing is no more irritating than the many 'tinny' speakers on sound fitted locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Real points either go 'kerlunk' if manual, or 'whirrrklunk' if powered. Tortoise motors sound a bit like the latter. Either way you can hear them going over. A click is a reassuring acknowledgement that the message has got through. 

The Tortoise sound (and movement) probably isn't appropriate for my layout but at least it's gentle enough - I'd worry that a solenoid would smash by not brilliantly made hand-made points to pieces.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If it bothers you that much, fit a sound chip with a recording of a full size point.  Perhaps with the noise it makes in the lever frame, the groan from the signalman if it's a heavy lever and then the FPL if applicable.

It's weird, the sound doesn't bother me at all - not fussed about quiet running or sound locos either, but I'd like to have realistic movement, although when it comes to points I'm mostly just bothered about whether they work or not. I suppose saying "that'll do for me!" is what Rule 1's all about!

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

The question reminds me of the main sound at Exhibitions in the 1980s. You could hear the SNAP of the points switching on some layouts from the other side of the hall..!!! 

And the room lights dip if you were using Hammant & Morgan SM3 motors...............

On 13/01/2021 at 10:51, RFS said:

Only if you are using slow-motion point motors that have their own locking mechanism to hold the blades in place. 

Noe that some solenoids have over centre springs, so the point spring can be removed.

Such as the Seep PM4 and the aforementioned SM3.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

The question reminds me of the main sound at Exhibitions in the 1980s. You could hear the SNAP of the points switching on some layouts from the other side of the hall..!!! 

Now drowned out by DCC sound in locos at full volume!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Note that some solenoids have over centre springs, so the point spring can be removed.

Such as the Seep PM4 and the aforementioned SM3.

But surely the point blades will still click due to the spring action of these solenoids?

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, RFS said:

But surely the point blades will still click due to the spring action of these solenoids?

Yes, but I was clarifying that you can also remove the point spring when using solenoids with over-centre springs and not just slow action motors as per your original reply.