Is the point clicking sound on point switching annoying ?

Point clicking sound at exhibitions   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is the point clicking sound on point switching annoying ?

• Its an annoying sound
    • I dont mind
    • I like the clicking sound on point switch

I love the satisfying clunk from a PL-10 being given a decent thwack from a powerful CDU.

Sound does vary at exhibitions.  My last layout was overpoweringly noisy in a small room at a quiet exhibition and yet almost inaudible at the NEC when it was full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The question reminds me of the main sound at Exhibitions in the 1980s. You could hear the SNAP of the points switching on some layouts from the other side of the hall..!!! 

Exactly!!!

Now we have seagulls, rural background sounds and the almost constant bellow of someone cold starting their class 37.......

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Now drowned out by DCC sound in locos at full volume!

Especially Bachmann Class 20s - set my tinnitus off something rotten, those do!! :shout: :ireful:

I never get to many exhibitions anyway - it's one thing I've hardly missed at all during the lockdown. :no:

This is the only reason why i never use those peco motors, they sound like gunfire, if the tortoise or dcc concept digital ip's are fitted properly you can hardly hear a thing.

What i do is add silicone sealant then screw them to the baseboard half way to make a gap, once the silicone has set i remove the screws then theres hardly any noise.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2021 at 01:11, doilum said:

Exactly!!!

Now we have seagulls, rural background sounds and the almost constant bellow of someone cold starting their class 37.......

The latter especially when someone has an intermittent short and all the locos restart at once, after the short is removed.