Wolf27

Some of you may be aware of former Derby Railway Technical Centre research vehicle RDB975386, otherwise known as Lab 4 or Hastings.

It was acquired by the Derby RTC based APT development team for use as a tilting test vehicle, due to its narrow body profile, which allowed it greater flexibility for tilt testing while remaining within the loading gauge. To undertake this work the vehicle was extensively rebuilt into its current form in which it still exists.

After withdrawal in the early 90's the vehicle led a precarious existence at St Leonards under the ownership of Hastings Diesels, who had intentions to restore it to as built condition for use in their class 201/202 DEMU set' as a buffet. However the work required was to great and it was put to one side for eventual scrapping. During this time is suffered extensive corrosion due to the sea air at St.Leonards. At some stage in the late 90's early 2000's ownership passed to the Hastings 60750 group and relocated to the Pump House museum at Walthamstow. During this time the remaining test equipment was removed and a start made on converting the vehicle to a static cafe. By 2010 the Pump House museum had changed its outlook and Hastings was required to leave.

Facing an uncertain future once again the vehicle was purchased by Kit Spackman, better known as Mr.Tilt' as he was the development engineer behind the APT-E tilting system. Kit arranged for the vehicle to be moved to the Electric Railway Museum, Coventry in September 2011. This is where I became involved in Hastings. Following an initial site meeting with various members of the ERM and APT-E support and conservation group a proposal was put forward to make a start on further restoration, this time keeping it in RTC condition. For a number of reasons the support group showed little interest but undeterred I made a start singlehandedly on saving the vehicle from further decay. I continued largely on my own for another six years while based at Coventry until Coventry City Council served the eviction notice on the museum.

More by luck and being in the right place at the right time, Hastings was offered a new home at The Battlefield Line, Shackerstone in summer 2017 and was moved their in November 2017 with the plan for the vehicle to become a cafe/bar at Market Bosworth with its own dedicated siding provided by the railway. Since its arrival at Shackerstone I have continued with extensive bodywork repairs since them along with a friend who joined me in 2018.

Now the reason for this post - since I became involved with Hastings I have paid all materials used from my own pocket and paid for the road move to Shackerstone. However this means work is slow as I dont enough readily available finance to continue with major works required on the interior and reglazing. In October we set up a Go Fund Me appeal to raise £500 to cover the cost of the reglazing of 5 windows and new hardwood trims, with a plan to commence the reglazing on 1/3rd of the vehicle in spring 2021. Without more support the work will take longer, to its detriment. Therefore I am appealing to you all to look favourably at this project and please donate to the appeal which will help secure the future of a unique and historic railway vehicle.

https://gofund.me/8605f5be

Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1010625329082984

regards

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
Mr. Tilts job title
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1