Model Rail Issue 282 Extra Info

Dzine

Hi Folks

As promised, here's some f the bits that didn't make it into the magazine.

Brading Signal Box (see attached photo) was built for the Isle of Wight Railway 1882 and closed in 1988.  It contains the original Stephens lever frame, with the building noted for its unusual scalloped valance.  I can recommend visiting Brading Station, Isle of Wight.  Thanks to a group of volunteers and a little bit of careful photography it’s so easy to imagine that you’re way back in steam days, waiting for a connecting train along the branch.  My plan in the issue uses a point at Bembridge Station, supporting the entry level theme, rather than the prototypical segmented turntable.  However, for those wanting greater realism, there’s an excellent description, by Peter Marriot, of Noch’s segmented turntable in Model Rail Issue 1st May 2018.

In terms of the Rowntree's layout design there's a fab PDF on the internet; SYO1317_Rowntree_Cocoa_Works_BLDG_REC.pdf   It has an extensive history of the site, with maps that show the railway and, best of all for me, elevations of the principal building.

Issue 283, contains the second part of 6' x 4' Solutions and has two of my favourite branch lines; one with three stations and the other more linear route than you might expect in such a limiting space.  Kind regards Paul

SFS 22  Brading Station Signal Box 2019.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested in Brading Station there are lots of surveys and drawings on the IOW planning departments website, just do a search for Brading station, there's the signal box, station building, platform and footbridge all up there.

• Like 2