Ratio kitbuilt loco

I was unaware ratio had made loco kits until I bought this on ebay, and I mostly bought it out of curiosity . I've built their coaches  but loco kits in plastic never seemed to be a terribly great idea...but I kinda wanted to see how it worked...

It seems that it does work,  tho one of the coupling rods falls out, and its a bit wonky,  with bits missing.

It was advertised as a Johnson loco, so I suppose its a midland machine but I know not the class number...

So can anyone tell me more about it, and what should it look like when finished? And can I just superglue the pin back into the wheel? 

Thanks!

20210113_135220.jpg

20210113_135228.jpg

Edit...OK why are the pics upside down..they're the right  way up on my phone...

Edited by Isambard Smith
  • Like 1

I don't know which phone you were using, but on my phone I get the same results if the camera notch is on the RHS when taking the photo. Turning the photos around using the on-camera editor gives me the best results. It might work for you too.

I have both the 2-4-0 and 4-4-0 in my stash waiting to be made up. They've been there for 40 years!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I don't know which phone you were using, but on my phone I get the same results if the camera notch is on the RHS when taking the photo. Turning the photos around using the on-camera editor gives me the best results. It might work for you too.

I have both the 2-4-0 and 4-4-0 in my stash waiting to be made up. They've been there for 40 years!

Tried that, still upside down...:unknw_mini:

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 15:28, kevinlms said:

They didn't sell as well as hoped. probably due to the adverse publicity regarding the chassis, so the range was dropped.

Shame, because the bodies weren't bad. They did look better if you removed the plastic handrail mouldings & put wire ones on, but were a good starter point for those who like fettling models to improve them.

Mark

• Like 1

Both the Johnson 4-4-0 and the 2-4-0 are Handsom locos and look splendid in Midland red. For a bit of variety the 4-4-0 was also used by the Midland & Great Northern Railway and would look very nice in a M&GNR mustard yellow

Here's the photos Right way up

20210115_105217.jpg

Plus a 2-4-0 1400 class and a 4-4-0 in M&GNR yellow

20210115_111433.jpg

20210115_111405.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo
  • Like 3

4-4-0.jpg.6fe2dd78b696ecc1593d3f11b0f7701d.jpg

This is a MGNR Class C 4-4-0 built from a London Road Models kit. It was a MR 1808 design, of which forty were built for the MGNR by Sharp Stewart and Beyer Peacock between 1894 and 1899. The kit produces the original MGNR version, which were rebuilt in 1909.

Information from the LRM website, unfortunately I don't know of the builder/photographer of this lovely model so can't credit them.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, MarkC said:

Shame, because the bodies weren't bad. They did look better if you removed the plastic handrail mouldings & put wire ones on, but were a good starter point for those who like fettling models to improve them.

Mark

Ah Ha

but he is lucky enough to have one of the later kits judgeing from the pictures which don't have the molded on handrails so that won't be a problem!

But do look out for a preserveriance chassis kit for these kits or as I have found out you can remoter the currant brass overlay plastic chassis you have with markits wheels and a highlevel gearbox for a better running chassis, I got both of mine to run well during the first lockdown one with the plastic/brass chassis (couldn't get hold of a preserveriance brass chassis) and one with the aforementioned brass chassis

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

Mine goes like stink with the original chassis, except on tighter curves say under 3 foot radius. It just carries at high speed in a straight line.

So I cut off the front section of the chassis the bit that carries the front wheel and re-attached it so it pivots on the body fixing screw.

Now it goes around train-set curves with no problem except the front wheel with it's fine flanges sometime comes off  or falls down the gaps in the frogs on code PECO100 points.

I replaced the wheel with a much fatter and bigger flanged Romford/Markits type. The chassis is split pickup with a plastic centre, The metal wheels are insulated with plastic muffs joining the two halves. To adapt the new wheels I cut the axle in half with a junior hack saw and used a bit of Plastruct tube as a muff. I may have drilled out the tube center with a 2mm drill so it fitted over the axle.

Any make of wheel will do as long as it is the right diameter over flanges to go under the footplate, it is hidden by the outside front frames. Because the front chassis section can rattle around a bit it can move up and down slightly relative to the bit carrying the driving wheels so it can ride over bumps and track irregularities a bit.

Mine came ready made and I dug out the smoke box door, a later Deeley type and it still awaits a brass Johnson pattern one.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Perhaps under Peco management they will be revived.  I just purchased the Ratio 4 wheel GWR coach kits which are now under the Parkside brand.  Likewise all the LMS bogie coaches.

I think they are well dead and buried. Not been available for about forty years.

However they are quite easy to find. Just look for the ones with the Perseverance etched chassis. This one is sold, but it's at the higher price end. I've seen them for much less. Expect to pay about £40 to £50 for a full set with chassis, motor and wheels.

http://www.wmcollectables.co.uk/index.php?pg=gb&cat=702

To be honest if I wanted a MR 2-4-0 or 4-4-0 I wouldn't start here. Too much work. The old phrase about pulling the skin off a rice pudding is very apt. There's no weight and nowhere to put it.

They would make nice locomotives to use as an unpowered model for a double header though.

Jason

• Like 2

Can anyone remember the original price? My vague recollection is that it was comparable to a Wills kit plus Triang jinty donor. Hence I never got round to building one.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error
  • Like 1