Z21& Tam Valley

mikeg

Has anyone had experience of using a Tam Valley booster with the Z21 system? I am having power problems with my point motors (cobalts) some are only working if I turn off the track power, I have separate supply bus for track and accessories both powered from the Z21 output separately through switches, I am thinking of using a Tam Valley booster for the accessories as even with all locos removed from the track the points only work with the track power switched off!

I have checked the wiring and voltage supply to the points and it appears to be OKAY.

regards Mike 

Have you looked to see how much current the Z21 is drawing? If it isn't 2.5A or more then a booster shouldn't be needed.

You might also want to try turning Railcom off on the Z21, this is done using the maintenance app on a PC.

Regards,

John P

Thanks for your replies, John I have a rampmeter and that shows that the basic layout is drawing 0.29amps. I have 10 cobalt IP point motors and 6 work normally the other 4 need the track power supply turned off to work! with the track power off the rampmeter shows 0.02amps which I think is the leds on the 10 frog ducers as only they are in circuit, so theoretically there’s plenty of power.

I was going to try the Tam Valley booster as it’s not expensive and I will be able to wire the layout as Iain has suggested.

Hope this has explained my problem better.

regards Mike