Aldersgate buildings 13 Mowlem Hall (here we go again)

Hello all,

I am starting a new topic for Aldersgate:  this time we have a building inspired by Mowlem Hall in Stepney High Street.  I remember this from the late 60s/early 70s as a boxing club and venue for dance classes.  Before that it was Redcoat Secondary Modern (and previously Parish) school.  I also remember the rather dodgy "New Flamingo" club housed next door.  It was all knocked down many years ago and there are only a handful of photos available (unless any readers have some more).

from_st_dunstans.png

mowlem hall 3.png

colour 1.jpg

Mowlem Hall 1.png

• Like 4

So on the side of Mowlem Hall we have a church/chapel.  I don't really know anything about its history or whether it was part of the school, I assume so although it is a very different architectural style although build around the same period as the school itself.  It seems to be in all of the photos.

I am only modelling one part of the church, that furthest from the hall.  For those interested these pictures show some of the techniques I use with brick papers.

1. Lots of layers of mounting board to give depth.

2. Sometimes printing the original drawings onto a sheet of brickpaper so that I can keep everything lined up as the layers go on.

3. Finishing around the windows by teasing a strip of coping bricks along the window edge.  These strips are cut crossways to the depth of 2/3 of the strip along the mortar gaps which enables me to work the paper around a corner when it's wet with prit stick or wood glue.

4. Using thin strips of coping bricks to line the inside frames of windows to cover naked card.

5. Essentially I work the paper like miniature wallpaper, rubbing it into crevices and around conveners with my nail or handle of a scalpel to fill cracks and gaps.

church 4.jpg

church 3.jpg

church 2.jpg

church 1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...

More signs of lockdown fever: here's a tip for ridge tiles which might be hard to copy unless, like me you have bought a GER ticket clipper on eBay (I have two).  The clipper removes a perfect crisp "E" every time which is amazing given its age.  Split the ridge tile into 3/4" sections to fit in the jaws and you get this.  Pure retro modelling!

And I wonder why (non modelling) friends pause, look at me and say; "You're mad!" 

ridge1.jpg

ridge 3.jpg

ridge0.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
typo!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6