Controller Wot Goes "Click!" in the Middle?

When I was a kid I had a Hornby brand controller that was basically a dial that had an "Off" indicator at the "12 o'clock" position - when turned clockwise from this point the trains would run forward (speed increases the further from 12 o'clock the dial was turned) turning the dial anticlockwise would slow the train, and once the 12 o'clock indicator was passed it would reverse direction.

Can you still find a DC controller still made in this style?

I'm at a loss to think of the technical term for such an item (hence the topic title!) 

The old H&M range usually had this type of knob. A good Clipper or Duette is often to be seen as the emergency standby even today.

My personal preference is for a separate reverse switch.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, wasdavetheroad said:

The speed control knob is a potentiometer and the 12 o'clock click is called a detent, You can also get potentiometers with multiple detents so you could simulate speed control 'notches' . I prefer this to using a direction switch although both options are available.

Thanks, which model do you use / recommend? 

2 hours ago, bartram108 said:

Unless they've changed the design since I bought one a few years' ago there's no centre click on the main unit - but there is on the hand-held units.

Well, my five-year old Morley Vector Zero Two certainly has centre-off pots on the main unit as well as the remotes.  First class controller,  btw ...

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Thanks, do they not do a single track version though?  These all seem to have dual control...

This is true, but it’s appears on the link I posted they are doing an offer presently of the twin controller with two free single walk around units, might be a possibility for you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

This is true, but it’s appears on the link I posted they are doing an offer presently of the twin controller with two free single walk around units, might be a possibility for you?

Wow, that's four controllers on a single track shelf layout - seems a bit of a waste..? 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Wow, that's four controllers on a single track shelf layout - seems a bit of a waste..? 

I was thinking you could have the main controller tucked away under/behind/hidden somewhere and just a single remote hand unit for use.

And have plenty of future expansion available should, you need it.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I was thinking you could have the main controller tucked away under/behind/hidden somewhere and just a single remote hand unit for use.

And have plenty of future expansion available should, you need it.

That's an interesting idea, can you run DC accessories from these models? 

14 hours ago, Ray Von said:

The hand-held units are used to connect to the main units so you only have 2 controllers in total

Graham

Edited by bartram108
Add name
  • Informative/Useful 1