Train Departure Announcement Generator and Soundscape Software

Hawksey

Very interesting system and great for 21st Century though would be interested myself (if like many I anticipate) it could be backdated for BR (eg. 1970's) and Steam (eg. 1930s) eras with the associated differences including voices of the period, named trains, relief and additional extra, long closed stations, BR regret to announce........ (late running, cancellation), passengers (not customers), second or third class (not std), Inter-City, Sealink,  etc etc

Or maybe I missed those options?

On 15/01/2021 at 14:40, Hawksey said:

A Pre-Beeching and 60/70/80's version is on the drawing board

Excellent news, now I am very interested indeed!

Sure this will be a winner with a huge number of modellers.

Are we talking 12 months away or am I way out?

• Agree 1

As the basic software is already written it would only take maybe 4 to 6 weeks to add the 2,363 stations that Beeching closed, plus any others that closed before that.

I'll also have to redo all the announcements in a suitable 'vintage' voice and redo the graphics in a matching style...so maybe 2 months to get it done.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Having had more of a look at this I am very impressed, a flexible system capable of creating bespoke announcements and sound combinations.

Defo wanting a 1970's version for starters and steam era too.

Ideally like to have the ability to play on a handful of small speakers across the layout with  the ability to allocate particular sounds on chosen speakers Eg. Farmyard / Town / Station / Lineside  / Railway Depot etc.

Looking forward to developments as think this could be a real winner!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting for home use. Hopefully not something to catch on for exhibition use though. Someone had something similar, possibly on an I-pod doing that at the Wincanton show a few years back. Rapidly annoyed everyone in the hall by being played loudly.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 minutes ago, Hawksey said:

A quick snapshot of the BR (70/80's) main screen that I've been tinkering with...lots to do yet

bandicam 2021-01-21 16-50-35-778.jpg

The BR one looks as if it's going to be really good.  Where will we buy the program from and roughly how much will it be please?

Edited by cravensdmufan
To remove dupication
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2021 at 17:59, Hawksey said:

New Train Departure Announcement Generator and Soundscape Software for Windows

YouTube demo here 

https://youtu.be/o-U_OzrWvFU

Full demo now available for download from

https://bit.ly/TAG_Setup

Will there be a Mac version eventually?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm in the process of making a website for downloads and purchase. The 'Contemporary' version time limited demo can be downloaded from the link in the first post, and can be purchased

direct from me at a special introductory price of just £20. Contact details are in the settings page of the software.

It should run on a Mac in the windows emulator (Wine?) but I have yet to try that...I'll put it on the list of things to do!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hawksey said:

I'm in the process of making a website for downloads and purchase. The 'Contemporary' version time limited demo can be downloaded from the link in the first post, and can be purchased

direct from me at a special introductory price of just £20. Contact details are in the settings page of the software.

It should run on a Mac in the windows emulator (Wine?) but I have yet to try that...I'll put it on the list of things to do!

Hi tried to download the TAG.Setup.exe,  but message comes up "blocked because it could harm your device".

On the 70's version I love the named trains element. Thinking of all those trains I used to see 'Royal Scot' / 'Wessex Scot' / 'Midday Scot' / 'Highland Chieftain' / 'Scarborough Spa Express' etc. So many happy memories!

Can all the London stations also be prefixed 'London' (inc. Broad Street)?

Other since closed stations or changed names including: Ballock Pier / Ballock Town / Troutbeck / Louth / Radipole / Rotherham Masborough / Sheffield Victoria / Sheffield Midland / Chapeltown / Brightside / Blencow / Filey Holiday Camp / Liverpool Exchange / Liverpool Riverside / Speeton / Slaggyford / Woodhall Junction / Kilmalcolm / Burton Agnes / Flamborough / Garsdale / Carnaby / Godley East / Point Pleasant / Stogumber / Wolverhampton Low Level / Wolverhampton High Level / Knotty Ash / Penruddock / Dalston Junction / Manchester Mayfield / New Hadley / Lincoln St Mark's / Clayton West / Corby / Brocklesby / Elsham / Sinfin Central / Sinfin North / Miles Platting

If we could also have please that would be great too: Football Special (Footex), Additional Extra (Adex), Relief Service, Railtour, Special, Steam Special, Inter-City, Inter-City 125, Motorail, Fast, Semi-fast, Stopping Service, Local, Where the train will divide the front portion going forward to....... and the rear portion for......... ,  British Rail Apologises for the later running/cancellation  of this service due to: Frozen Points / Locomotive Failure / Failure of a preceding train / following a slow running freight train / ASLEF industrial action / Crew shortage / Diversion / Football Hooligans / Trespassers on the line / Protesters / No available Guard                 

How about some enthusiast banter: "I've copped that" / "I need that for haulage" / "Beast" / "What a Monster!" / "Oh no, not that Duff again!" / "Wagon" / "Fab its' a ........Whistler / Chopper / Siphon / Peak / Skinhead / Rat / McRat / Deltic / Western / Warship / Banana / Roarer / Grid / Hoover"          "You Insect" / "Oh My Lords!" / "Got any Gen" / "Its Pegged" / "Bog Cart" / "Bug Unit" / "Look out, the Grippers coming!" / "We need to bail here lads" / It's failed" / It's a drag" / "Gotta Grice that" / "Gricers" / "Lend us your Bins" / "Got any Beanos?" / "Hosser!" / "Where's my bible?" / "It's Diagrammed" / "Oh, I bet it doesn't produce" / "Winner!"

Signal box sounds (bells ringing plus levers clanking)?

This could so bring the [Home] layout to life!

11 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Hi tried to download the TAG.Setup.exe,  but message comes up "blocked because it could harm your device".

Hi

That's probably the SmartScreen Filter on Microsoft Edge stopping you downloading .exe files. You could try a different browser (Chrome?) or try turning off the filter.

I'll also  upload a zip version for you try. You'll need to 'un-zip' it before installing.

Edited by Hawksey
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Can we have the Reading Station announcement I once heard. All platforms mention of something rail related (I can't remember what) followed by loads of swearing moaning about somebody, a door slamming, once more short profanity followed by a click of the mic going off. Shortly afterwards "British Rail would like to apologise for the earlier announcements!".

Roy

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

You’ll just need to find Gavin from Autoglass to do the voice recordings (make sure to catch him on a bad day for the full ‘I couldn’t give a toss’ aura), and you’ll have a pretty authentic station announcement for New St in the 80s/90s!

Nice product.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Hawksey said:

Just looked up Wine, doesn’t work with current versions of the Mac OS. (Catalina and later)

8 minutes ago, john new said:

Just looked up Wine, doesn’t work with current versions of the Mac OS. (Catalina and later)

Ok.

You could try Parallels or VMWare Fusion virtual pc software that will emulate a windows pc, or another way would be to install windows on the mac using boot camp.

You can then choose to boot into the windows or mac os at startup 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

That's probably the SmartScreen Filter on Microsoft Edge stopping you downloading .exe files. You could try a different browser (Chrome?) or try turning off the filter.

I'll also  upload a zip version for you try. You'll need to 'un-zip' it before installing.

Hi,

Yes, it is the latest Microsoft Edge I use.

Thanks, I'll try the zip download.

Vivian

Zip file here:

http://bit.ly/TAG_Setup_zip

Let me know if it works ok or not

Phil

Hi Phil,

Downloaded and unzipped file OK but can't run the app.  Screen comes up "Windows protected your PC".  "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting.  Running this app might put your PC at risk".

This is all very strange because I have downloaded many apps before and  running .exe files and zip files have never been a problem.  Think the problem may possibly be at your end.

Vivian

3 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Hi Phil,

Downloaded and unzipped file OK but can't run the app.  Screen comes up "Windows protected your PC".  "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting.  Running this app might put your PC at risk".

This is all very strange because I have downloaded many apps before and  running .exe files and zip files have never been a problem.  Think the problem may possibly be at your end.

Vivian

Workaround: When the 'Windows protected your PC' window opens click on the 'More Info' link and then click Run Anyway button.

I think it maybe the package install maker I have used not being trusted by an over cautious windows! 

The files have been scanned by 9 antivirus programs and are clean.

I'll look into using a different installer maker