Train Departure Announcement Generator and Soundscape Software

Hawksey

On 03/02/2021 at 01:37, cravensdmufan said:

We had a nice 3 bong chime at Peterborough 1989/90 as captured by Roy Harrison in one of his many excellent videos from days gone by; at 1:43 and 4:48 sounding  particularly clear on this one:

The more I see these YouTube videos, the more I miss good old British Rail. At least we can recreate those wonderful times on our layouts. There have been so many brilliant models released over the past few years we're spoilt for choice.

For reference purposes, transcripts of those announcements are as follows:

1:43

"The 17:12 for Stevenage and London King's Cross will arrive at platform 2 in approximately 5 minutes. First class accommodation accommodation is at the front of the train. Platform 2 for the 17:12 for Stevenage and London King's Cross."

4:48

"17:22 to Newcastle, calling at Newark, York, Northallerton, [?], Eaglescliffe, [?], [?]borough, [?], Sunderland and Newcastle will arrive at platform 4 in approximately 5 minutes..." (the video cuts here so the end of the announcement is not heard).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure about the progress of the software, but I have been working on reproducing the BR two tone chime that was common in the 1980s before being replaced with the three tone chime in the 1990s.

I attach an .mp3 of the file produced. For reference, the notes are C# and A. As with the previous chimes file, this is available with a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 licence.

Chimes.mp3

After a little more refinement, here is an improved version. I have removed the distortion element of the PA system filter, as the pure tones generated by the chimes were not in fact distorted in the same way as voice captured from a microphone, as can be heard in the clips. I have also shortened the second note to make it more consistent with the clips and introduced a slight overlap between the notes to give it a sound closer to that which I have heard on the Youtube videos.

The  improved version is attached; this is also available with a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 licence.

Chimes.mp3

Hi

Development is moving ahead, a bit slow at the moment due to other work commitments, but it's getting there.

Currently digitizing all the stations that have ever existed, all 8883 of them!...never realised there where so many closed stations. I'm sure 80% of them would never be used but

it's probably quicker to include every one.

I've also done the 2 tone chime so you can select if you want none, two or three chimes.

Probably 2 to 3 weeks until a release if all goes well

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is a intresting project, great idea for sure.

Will there be a few generic anouncments as well?

Im not sure if there was general security anouncments in the 80s/90s with the IRA threat, warnings about abandoned bags etc but that would be good to include.

Was there evidence of other generic anouncments, new services, special offer ticket prices stuff like that in BR days? that would add a bit of ambiance could be a nice touch.

I assume there is the often heard  , British rail would like to appologise for the late running of the ....... service :wink_mini:, im not sure if they explained it back then like they do know. Due to over running enginering works, signaling problems etc

Edited by e30ftw

The only generic announcements that I remember were for found property, along the lines of, "If there is a Mrs. Joan Smith on the station, would you please come to the booking office on platform 4; that's Mrs. Joan Smith, please come to the booking office on platform 4".

Yes, there will be as many generic & safety announcements as I can fit...so if anyone can think of any let me know and I'll try and add them.

Already have late running, 'Mr Sands to the booking hall please' and the 'no bins available please take litter home'

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawksey said:

Yes, there will be as many generic & safety announcements as I can fit...so if anyone can think of any let me know and I'll try and add them.

Already have late running, 'Mr Sands to the booking hall please' and the 'no bins available please take litter home'

The London Underground version of the "Sands" announcement is in the following terms,

"Would Inspector Sands please report to the booking office immediately".

See here for an example of one at Euston in 2018.

Edited by jamespetts

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I sent you an email regarding destinations but forgot to include stopping stations. I am setting up from Hertford East to Liverpool St but can only get as far as Northumberland Park

Cheers

Peter

19 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

There was the “The train standing at Platform X is not for public use.” Not sure if that is classified as generic or not.

Roy

Thanks, I'll add that

In late 1970s _early 80s  at crewe i often gleefully heard

"this is a special announcement for passengers on platform 3a waiting the late running 838 all stations to liverpool lime street. This train is reported running xx minutes late. We apologise for any delay or inconveniance caused to your journey"  

Since the train took us to school and it meant we had an extra xx minutes playing space invaders in the buffet, there was no need to apologise!

Having that announcement would take me back. Just need a full size vintage space invader machine in the railway room for full effect.

Im another one that would like an android app version

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To do speaker placement, either the set up would need to use some kind of IP speakers on a network (so that each could be individually addressed without having to have channels and the associated wiring for each speaker), or some kind of Dolby Atmos encoded system. Not something I'm aware exists for such as model railways at the moment.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 09/04/2021 at 17:48, Ian J. said:

To do speaker placement, either the set up would need to use some kind of IP speakers on a network (so that each could be individually addressed without having to have channels and the associated wiring for each speaker), or some kind of Dolby Atmos encoded system. Not something I'm aware exists for such as model railways at the moment.

Surely Bluetooth speakers would also work at a range of up to 10m from the computer?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

At Euston in the mid 1990s the station announcers normally just said Llanfair PG but one of them always said it in full! Which version of the name have you included? 

Heard at Southfields during the tennis fortnight around 2003 was the following - "Please stand behind the yellow line as directly in front of you is 750 volts of dc current and it will do nothing to cure a bad hair day!" 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Surely Bluetooth speakers would also work at a range of up to 10m from the computer?

Potentially up to 100m. But, I'm not aware the Bluetooth standard allows for many devices of the same type to be connected and communicated with at the same time.

28 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Potentially up to 100m. But, I'm not aware the Bluetooth standard allows for many devices of the same type to be connected and communicated with at the same time.

Presumably, one would only have the one station, and thus need only the one speaker?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Presumably, one would only have the one station, and thus need only the one speaker?

It would be about going beyond just the station announcements and into other sound effects that would more likely emanate from areas of a layout other than the station (such as bird song, traffic noise, planes flying overhead, etc).

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...