Clark Brothers Scrapyard

Finally gotten around, after many many failed proposals, to a micro layout that I think I'll be happy with. I recently cleared off a shelf that used to be home to some audio equipment, and in lieu of filling it with yet more brick a brack and clutter, I want to put a little layout there. 

The trackplan I drafted up in AnyRail should be attached, and most of the labels should be self explanatory. The "torch track" will be an interesting bit- my plan is that cars delivered for scrapping will be shunted down there, behind a fence and into a shed. In the shed I'll have some kind of elevator or similar, so that way I can drop cars beneath the layout instead of having to awkwardly shunt back out "scrapped" cars. Overall I hope to have some ability to shunt cars back and forth, though the real purpose of this layout is to exercise my detailing skills. 

The layout will have 1-2 locomotives- a Hattons Barclay, and a 0-4-0 Hudswell, which I plan to scratchbuild. 

Currently, I have some parts on order from Hattons that will take a few days to cross the Atlantic to the US. Hopefully I can get started quickly once those arrive.

layout.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pokemonprime said:

In the shed I'll have some kind of elevator or similar, so that way I can drop cars beneath the layout instead of having to awkwardly shunt back out "scrapped" cars.

I've always fancied a magical ramp / Shute system that can make vehicles vanish behind or inside a building for purposes such as this, I shall be watching esp as you can't have too many scrap yard micro layouts... 

Good luck! 

Ralf

• Agree 1

Looks like it could be a good layout, and interesting if you can get the shed-dropping mechanism. Maybe a working crane would make the wagon-loading siding a little more dynamic; or at the very least pre-formed loads you can drop into the wagons, so they can be brought in empty and taken out full.

And I'm sure you're aware of it, but one of the most detailed scrapyard layouts I've seen around is Ruston's one, and there's 21 pages of it here on RMweb for inspiration:

I'm interested to see where you'll take this!

34 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

Looks like it could be a good layout, and interesting if you can get the shed-dropping mechanism. Maybe a working crane would make the wagon-loading siding a little more dynamic; or at the very least pre-formed loads you can drop into the wagons, so they can be brought in empty and taken out full.

And I'm sure you're aware of it, but one of the most detailed scrapyard layouts I've seen around is Ruston's one, and there's 21 pages of it here on RMweb for inspiration:

I have seen Ruston's layout, and it is absolutely amazing. Some of his photos of real-life scrapyard workings, as well as his great modelling, serve as great inspiration for this project, though I'd had it in planning beforehand. 

I do have plans for a working crane, with some notebook sketch plans involving miniature electromagnets and hidden ball bearings. But that will come once the layout is farther along.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Got my package from Hattons yesterday, and roughed out the foam core for the bed of the layout. Need to attach the two pieces together, fill the gaps, and then see if I can raise it enough for the dropaway. 

The two wagons are a Ratio 5-plank and a Dapol 7-plank, both need a little work, but they were cheap. Funniest to me is the weight in a 5-plank- it's just a metal hinge glued onto the floor

IMG_20210121_212840_183.jpg

IMG_20210121_190845_620.jpg

• Like 4