7mm Industrial options for Hudswell Clarke & Manning Wardle I ?

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of 7mm locos built about 30 years ago, a Hudswell Clarke (Impetus) and Manning Wardle I class (scratch), into which I would like to fit some decent sound. Last year I put some TTS J36 decoders in them to see if it was possible and worthwhile, the space for decoders and speakers being very limited as they were made before such items existed. Having been able to now arrange and fit reasonable speaker setups which sound okay I want to fit Zimo’s with good files so aspects such as synchronised chuffs can be achieved, the locos both having small 16x30mm can motors with double reduction 80-1 gearboxes. This sadly means that the chuff rate is way out, something like 8 per rotation...and try as I might I find I can’t live with the sound output in the longer term.

From what I have been able to discover the Digitrains/Paul Chetter J94 install has been used by many in the more recently produced Ixion HC satisfactorily, but I am stuck for the MW. Does anybody have any recommendations for either please? The bespoke Minerva install for their recent MW K class is of course exclusive to them - and on Next18 - and there doesn’t seem to be any other comparable one.

Many thanks

Bob

Yes Bob,  I expect Paul will be able to provide something suitable, tweaked to suit your requirements (eg. if running in a short space, your requirements may be different to having 50 yards of running line).  A few years back he produced some for me to fit into some 7mm Mid Suffolk locos for a well known East Anglian modeller.   With and without Westinghouse pumps and the like, as appropriate for each loco.  

Choice of speaker also affects the sound.  One thing I did in the Mid Suffolk locos was to use different speaker arrangements to make individual locos of the same class sound slightly different to each other. 

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nigel. Yes as someone with (very) limited sound experience it’s been quite revealing as to just how different files can sound depending on the speaker(s) used. In some instances you’d swear the files weren’t the same ones!

Bob