Is there going to be a 2021 product announcement this year?

TravisM

The "why have they not produced x and y yet" overlooks the sheer amount of releases that have confirmed in the last four quarters where loco / units have versions of 32xx, 57xx, 8750, 94xx, SECR C, 1P 0-4-4T, D11/1, LMS Co-Co, 20/3, 24/1, 37/7, 40, 45/0, 55, 57/3, 57/6, 66/0,  66/4, 66/7 85, 108, 117, 121, 159 and 414. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I agree about enthusiasm, but dont confuse it professionalism.

speaking generally..

We are the enthusiasts, professionals are making a career.

ive given up many weekends on a professional basis, but it doesnt make me an enthusiast of my work topic.

But agree enthusiasts in professional roles, when applied would be tremendous. Unfortunately professionals making careers dont generally like it, as it threatens.

BR for instance actively discouraged enthusiasts in roles as it was percieved people maybe distracted by enthusiasm in their profession.

I’ve got to say that with over 37 years working for BR then a TOC I have never come across any active discouragement regarding being a rail enthusiast. In fact my last 25 years were in ‘Control’ and the vast majority of us were enthusiasts. The amount of combined knowledge was massive and then we took early retirement within a few months of each other and watched the performance fall through the floor.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The "why have they not produced x and y yet" overlooks the sheer amount of releases that have confirmed in the last four quarters where loco / units have versions of 32xx, 57xx, 8750, 94xx, SECR C, 1P 0-4-4T, D11/1, LMS Co-Co, 20/3, 24/1, 37/7, 40, 45/0, 55, 57/3, 57/6, 66/0,  66/4, 66/7 85, 108, 117, 121, 159 and 414. 

Very good point; the sheer biodiversity of RTR is amazing compared to 20 years ago, astonishing compared to 40 years ago, and miraculous compared to 60 years ago, even when you discount the number of new types there have been on the 12 inch to the foot railway in the last 60 years.  And you've only scratched the surface; look at the rolling stock!  I'd dispute that a 94xx has been produced in the last 4 quarters in the sense that I can purchase one now, though; distribuiton to retailers is IMHO part of a production process which is not quite yet complete...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One model that I keep an eye on is the Dukedog or Earl class . Surprisingly this has never been available in GWR for  DC users .  It’s always DCC or sound fitted . We’ve had black ones but never a GWR green one . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 15/01/2021 at 20:48, brushman47544 said:

I do hope at Bachmann will give an update or indication of its plans for reliveries/new versions announced years ago and still showing as “awaited” on it’s website, not just those arriving soon. The two Class 47s (47435 in BR blue and 47711 in LL) come immediately to mind.

I fully expect Bachmann will continue to do what they have done, quietly announce & update release dates throughout the year.

I'm expecting the quarterly announcements will mainly be new liveries & numbers of existing tooling and sound versions of previously announced models. I am not expecting any new tooling from the Branchline, Narrow Gauge or Farish ranges in the quarterly announcements this year. That said I would not be surprised if there was a separate announcement with the model(s) at the EP stage or later.

If anyone is interested here is a table I made showing the amount of Brachmann Branchline models announced that are yet to be released.

image.png.6db0d1ae16875476b1c4dfe18a1ac0d7.png

Note: The sound fitted GWR 94XX are in the new tooling column as the they were announced before the standard versions were released, whereas the sound Class 117 are in the 2020 existing tooling column as they were announced after the release of the standard versions.

• Informative/Useful 2

I reckon there might be a few surprises. They do seem to have gone through most of the backlog.

I would be very surprised if they were going to announce a new tooling model worth several hundred pounds as being coming in the next three months. I would expect them to be a bit longer such as a year. That's what the catalogue is for.

After all they have announced the NRM and Rails LNWR Precedent and V2s to be coming in the Summer or Autumn 2021. So no "three month only rule" applying there. That will be about a year after the announcement.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I’ve got to say that with over 37 years working for BR then a TOC I have never come across any active discouragement regarding being a rail enthusiast.

Likewise. I can only remember one occasion on which it was raised, one of my signalmen was accused of checking a steam charter so he could get some clag on the video he was very obviously shooting from the box steps as it went past. I wouldn't have put it past him but fortunately for him the TRB confirmed that it was waiting for the 156 in front to clear the section. 

My reply to "OMG are you a spotter?" questions at work has long been "Worse. I'm a modeller". 

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Likewise. I can only remember one occasion on which it was raised, one of my signalmen was accused of checking a steam charter so he could get some clag on the video he was very obviously shooting from the box steps as it went past. I wouldn't have put it past him but fortunately for him the TRB confirmed that it was waiting for the 156 in front to clear the section. 

My reply to "OMG are you a spotter?" questions at work has long been "Worse. I'm a modeller". 

Or as my Director said to me one on occasion ' I thought you were a crank (i.e. railway enthusiast) but I've now realised that you aren't'.  

I think what he really meant was that unlike various folk on his side of the building I wasn't forever watching aircraft on LHR approach (the Ops Manager kept a pair of binoculars in his office) and he'd never seen me taking pictures of trackwork at Waterloo East.  What he also couldn't see with me in the opposite side of the building was me carefully watching the working of our trains in and out of our terminal of which my office had one of the best views in the building.   And he hadn't got a clue what I spent some of my time doing at the international timetable conference when it was in somewhere suitable such as Switzerland - where there happened to be an awful lot of narrow gauge lines to cover.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

As a freight guard at Canton in the 70s, and a back cab jockey off the street with long hair and just out of my teens in a very small c conservative working culture, having to make a name for myself as a reliable pair of hands, I kept the hobby side, and my modelling and spotting past, a bit low key.  Happy to talk about it if it came up but one felt that it was unwise to actively promote the concept lest one was labelled as someone with amatuer leanings,  My level of historical and general railway knowledge marked me out as more than a mere number taker, and the interest I took in the job and eagerness to learn more gained me a degree of respect fairly quickly, but I did not talk about it unless, as I say, the subject came up, which it did fairly often.  It was important to not come across as a know-all, which was all too easy if you volunteered what you knew!  This was, I felt, within the general cultural zeitgeist of that period on BR. 

It may seem a bit strange to current or more recent railwaymen; having the railway as a hobby as well as a job has become more normalised and accepted.  A friend who drives for Veola and formerly ATW in the Valleys has become a modeller since starting in the job about 20 years ago, and says he has been considerably encouraged in this by his colleagues; this would not have been the case in the 70s.  There were enthusiasts on the job then of course, and there were the regular number of spotters in new staff intakes, most of whom became a bit disheartened when they realised how much they needed to learn, how seriously they had to take it, and how diirty and miserable they were in freezing draughty rough riding brake vans in the small wee hours of cold, dark, wet, winter nights.  An attitude was required which enthusiasm could enhance, but the culture shock was not inconsiderable to many of them, and those that 'couldn't hack it' self weeded out fairly rapidly, many losing interest in railways altogether. 

The men I worked with were, almost entirely, enthusiastic railwaymen while not being necessarily railway enthusiasts.  Most employers would give their eye teeth for staff like this, but the railway still had the remnants of the old 'officers and men' mentality and they were largely unappreciated, or at lest felt that way,  They loved the job, but one had to take into account that in 1970 when I joined, they'd just come through a decade of change, uncertainty, cuts, and redundncies that had battered morale horribly, and were in for more over the coming decades.  Single manning, guards riding on locos, and, in time, DOO to the extent that drivers are now expected to carry out train preparation inspections; there was a palpable feeling that the status of the job had gone, which it largely had; British Rail was a public joke, and that there was no future in it.  The government, society in general, and management appeared to be anti-railway, and it was distressing to see managerial careers advanced on the back of 'rationalisation' and cost cutting that made further inroads into the changes and downsizing (I'm not saying management had it easy in those days either, Mike, but this was the general perception at the traincrew/ground staff level).

It is difficult to overstate the effect of the HST in 1976.  It is well known that this was the train that saved BR, the national joke which had developed the best diesel train in the world from it's own internal resources, and provided the bums on the seats with high speed on traditional trackbeds, airco, double glazed tinted windows, air suspension, sound proofing and seating good enough to see the Pullmans off, all at no extra charge and without the need for reservations.  The airco mk2s that preceeded it were pretty good as well, but never had the public impact or cachet of the HST.  Raiwaymen, myself included steam fan though I am, even those unconnected with it's routes, had great pride in it and attitudes to the railway changed in a very short time.  The public's love affair with motorways ended at about the same time in a morass of gridlocked traffic, while children. the ultimate arbiters, considered it cool to wear their 'I've been on the 125' badges.  So did drivers; HST passed men had brushed aluminium 'Inter City 125' lapel badges which were prized posessions, and the scornful approbation endured by a Canton driver who sold his to a spotter from his mates was palpable.  The spotter gave him £25 for it, probably equat to £200 now.

Enthusiasm among railwaymen in the sense that we mean by enthusiasm as enthusiasts (sorry, that scans a bit awkwardly) began to become more acceptable in general, and has led to the current situation, where it seems that a majority of railwaymen and women in both operating and managerial roles are railway enthusiasts; it's infectious, as my Valleys driving chum found out!

When I joined the railway, I had a fair level of eruditon about railways in general; for example I knew what a fully fitted train was and why, but the actual nitty gritty down dirty of railway work on the ground was largely a mystery.  I'd had a bit of experience shunting and using a ground frame on the Festiniog (it had a single F in those days).  I was sent over to Penarth North Curve yard to pick up the basics, and learned more about railways in the first day than my entire previous life, or arguably the near half century since.  It was brilliant, and I was being paid for it!  On the second day I was given a shunting pole (something I was ignorant of the existence of at 09.99 the day before, and told to uncouple a cut of 50 minerals,  That done, I was shown how to do it and told to couple them all back up again, and you've only got an hour before they are due out... 

One of the qualifications that took you above the 'back cab jockey' level was being able to handle a pole, and while I was never a virtuoso with it (I knew men who could couple an instanter and shorten it in the same movement while running alongside) I could use one well enough to put off a hotbox and couple the train back up in the dark, and to remove the pin from a vacuum bag dummy and knock the bag off it I  had to go inbetween.  You don't learn that as an enthusiast, but being enthusiastic helps...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2021 at 09:05, No Decorum said:

Some years ago, the London Transport Museum commissioned a model of new stock from Bachmann. Part of the inducement was a free trip on the real train to the outer limit of the system and back. David Haarhaus, the top man, turned up, along with many Bachmann people. They didn’t have to give up their weekends. There are many other examples and there is no doubting the enthusiasm they have.

Yes, I was on that trip and it was something special. The unit we used was one of the District/Circle line trains (comprised of seven cars) which were not normally seen on the Metropolitan Line from Baker Street (where trains had eight cars).

Our journey took us out to Amersham and instead of returning directly to London we took the curve into Chesham where, waiting on the adjacent platform, was the actual unit modelled by Bachmann waiting for a photo session.

Whilst we were on the Circle line we were moving quite slowly as we were timetabled in between service trains stopping at all stations. Although platform announcements were made that our train would not be stopping the look on the faces of many waiting on the platform when they realised that there were passengers on the train was just amazing.

All in all a great trip. Bachmann organised a excellent day helped of course by the staff of the London Underground.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 17/01/2021 at 15:56, Steamport Southport said:

I reckon there might be a few surprises. They do seem to have gone through most of the backlog.

I would be very surprised if they were going to announce a new tooling model worth several hundred pounds as being coming in the next three months. I would expect them to be a bit longer such as a year. That's what the catalogue is for.

After all they have announced the NRM and Rails LNWR Precedent and V2s to be coming in the Summer or Autumn 2021. So no "three month only rule" applying there. That will be about a year after the announcement.

Jason

The V2 has been in their plans for a very long time. That was why it been included. The LNWR precedent was a locomotion tie in. 

Personally I just hope maroon Thompsons are produced. 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/01/2021 at 14:31, Paul.Uni said:

I fully expect Bachmann will continue to do what they have done, quietly announce & update release dates throughout the year.

I'm expecting the quarterly announcements will mainly be new liveries & numbers of existing tooling and sound versions of previously announced models. I am not expecting any new tooling from the Branchline, Narrow Gauge or Farish ranges in the quarterly announcements this year. That said I would not be surprised if there was a separate announcement with the model(s) at the EP stage or later.

If anyone is interested here is a table I made showing the amount of Brachmann Branchline models announced that are yet to be released.

image.png.6db0d1ae16875476b1c4dfe18a1ac0d7.png

Note: The sound fitted GWR 94XX are in the new tooling column as the they were announced before the standard versions were released, whereas the sound Class 117 are in the 2020 existing tooling column as they were announced after the release of the standard versions.

So which category does 47 711 fall into? I don't know when it was announced but it feels like over a year. It does make me wonder how old the tooling and design of the mechanism is for that model? I watched a review of 47 537 and a comment was made about the mechanism not having changed for over a decade and no improvements to the detailing in that time.

I appreciate that the manufacturers have to use 'best information' pictures in their adverts for Pre-release products but at what point would you have the detailed information and accurate pictures on the product that you will eventually receive?   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember buying my first Mainline 'Sunshines' in lined maroon, and being blown away by them, but things have moved on since then.  I see no point in retooling for the sake of retooling, and am suspicious of it being used to cut costs at the expense of detail and accuracy, but these old stagers really aren't up to the mark any more.  Same goes for Hornby's A30.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2021 at 16:16, APT Fan said:

So which category does 47 711 fall into? I don't know when it was announced but it feels like over a year. It does make me wonder how old the tooling and design of the mechanism is for that model? I watched a review of 47 537 and a comment was made about the mechanism not having changed for over a decade and no improvements to the detailing in that time.

I appreciate that the manufacturers have to use 'best information' pictures in their adverts for Pre-release products but at what point would you have the detailed information and accurate pictures on the product that you will eventually receive?   

I know it's only minor but the photos shown so far of 47711 have it with a cab mounted aerial and square headlight. Looking at Flickr, it didn't get an aerial until at least 1988 by which time it was in Scotrail livery. It didn't get a square headlight until I believe 1985, by which time it was, again, in Scotrail livery. I appreciate the photos shown could be just mock ups based on a previous model so will see when it is released.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 16:16, APT Fan said:

So which category does 47 711 fall into?

Existing tooling announced 2019, awaiting.

1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

How do we find out an actual ETA for this? 

When Bachmann release one for it. The website update on 19th January gave release dates for the LMS Ivatt 2 tank (due Sep/Oct), LNER B1, BR Std 5 and some wagons (due Oct/Nov).

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I wonder if last year's catalogue sold many copies? I must admit I fail to see the point of a catalogue that contains no new items. As a member of the Collector's Club, I will get one "free", but if I didn't, I wouldn't buy it.

Probably did sell well.

The Airfix catalogue wasn't exactly full of new items, but that flew off the shelves and was even available in supermarkets and the high street.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dont get the fuss with catalogues ..... dont get me wrong I get one as im a member of the Collectors Club but you can still see everything online and you get the news from their website or from Young Andy on here so why worry about a catalogue ...

Must admit I do wonder if it'll be a retread of this years offering with the first quarter's items added .... who knows, maybe Bachmann are going back to a full range announcement .......

Guess we shall see one way or another soon ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi All,

It will be interesting to see what Bachmann comes up with this year.

Hornby has uped it's game & produced some good stuff with the likes of the APT & class 91 & others yet to appear from their 2020 anouncements & now there are there 2021 models recently announced.

Cavalex & Accurascale & chipping away at market share with some fantastic items & even though they don’t have any products in direct competition, people's budgets are another consideration.

Don't get me wrong, there has been some great stuff from Bachmann over the last couple of years and examples that spring to mind are the class 158 & Ransomes & Rapier crane. I am sure there are others too.

Interesting times for sure.

Stay Safe.

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, cambo74 said:

I dont get the fuss with catalogues ..... dont get me wrong I get one as im a member of the Collectors Club but you can still see everything online and you get the news from their website or from Young Andy on here so why worry about a catalogue ...

Me neither, but I'm old enough to remember the major event that was the publication of each year's Triang and Hornby Dublo catalogues, excitement similar to Hornby announcement day on 5th January these days.  They were worth having for the artwork and presentation; Hornby's current side elevation views are boring and not that informative, though Bachmann are a little better.  I used to like the Mainline catalogues with the photos of locos and stock in realistic layout settings as well.

Happy these days with getting information online.

• Like 1