Is there going to be a 2021 product announcement this year?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I think that's Oswestry. I would dearly like an Aberdare, but somehow, sadly, I don't think so. That said, Bachmann have made an RoD tender, so they're part way there. If Bachmann do indeed announce this, I will very definitely be in for one.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I would surmise that we've seen the last of Western releases from the Bachmann stable. It's very, very difficult to scan something, as most of the historical candidates have either already chosen, or, sad to say, scrapped off .  One shining example 'might be' a Bulldog class. Some of these locomotives had very long service life, from Edwardian to post-war periods. Bachmann have already covered a lot of ground already with the Earls, so the logic is already there. 

The South East & Chatham 0-4-4 T  bears a striking resemblance to the newly released  Midland 1P. It's such a pretty model:  pity that it's Midland..... Panniers... Hornby have claimed the 2721 'as their own', so no dice, or a head to head....  EFE?  18" Austerity, anyone? There are literally dozens of examples that EFE can turn out, without resorting to spurious liveries. The tooling for the  14xx-48xx tank locomotive is still extant, so it just needs an ashpan putting on, and sorting out the gearing.  And, take off that bl**dy awful top-feed, whilst we're about it..... Talking of top feeds, I do wish Bachmann would release an early-version pannier,  sans top feed.  I reckon Bachmann keep them on, just to wind me up....

But, an outside bet! coming up on the outside, an NG13, or NG16 Garrat.  Now, that would be something else.... As for sound, you could get the entire New York Philharmonic in there, with enough for a big bass drum... 

You are forgetting the recent leaking / teasing that Bachmann were at an advance stage with the new Manor.

Plus of course, there’s the prospect of new GWR carriages....

Plenty they could still release. Bulldogs would be very nice.... as would the Saint, although I still reckon that might be up Hornby’s sleeve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, 89A said:

Catalogues are a good record of what has been released and what may be out there in the second hand market.

14 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Except they are not; invariably models get cancelled or changed. The current Hornby catalogue is already out of date due to changes to the Transport for Wales Mk4s. And then there are models which are missed for whatever reason, the still awaited APT is not in the current catalogue so no doubt there will be a thought at some time in the future that it was released in 2020 because that is when it is in the catalogue.

Perhaps catalogues should be released at the end of the year, to increase the chances of them being more accurate? Still no guarantee, mind. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Covkid said:

Have to disagree.

image.png.f4eb7fd1ea7521974604415f970f005f.png

I happen to think one of these will appear eventually, even though I expect they were only ever green. 

A BR black one with red backed number plates and early crest on the tender would look really nice Hornby, and the pregrouping versions might look good with those 4 and 6 wheel coaches even though they were principally coal engines.

Wonder if "Johnster" would be tempted.   

Not really; Tomparryharry’s yer man for this sort of thing...  Tondu never had an Aberdare, and it would have been unlikely up in the mountain fastnesses of Cwmdimbath even if the shed had ever had one.  

They had a Bulldog for the Porthcawl-Cardiff commuter in pre-war days, though...

7 hours ago, truffy said:

Perhaps catalogues should be released at the end of the year, to increase the chances of them being more accurate? Still no guarantee, mind. 

Erm. The idea is that you know what you can buy or order, not as a historical record. So I can go to my local model shop and ask for the items in it. 

Seems a bit of inverted snobbiness aimed at those who buy the catalogues in this thread. Can't understand that myself. They cost less than a couple of TV Guides or pints. Less than a month of BBC Tax which we keep being told is good value....

Don't want one? Then don't buy one, but please don't belittle those that do.

Jason

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Erm. The idea is that you know what you can buy or order, not as a historical record. So I can go to my local model shop and ask for the items in it. 

Erm. It was meant in jest.

I thought that was obvious from the stupidity of the idea. It never occurred to me that I needed to underline it with an emoticon. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

They had a Bulldog for the Porthcawl-Cardiff commuter in pre-war days, though...

Would this indicate a return to the time when every GWR branch line layout was required to have a Bulldog (K's in those days) and a good excuse? If the builder was really silver-tongued, he had a 28xx and a Wills Castle too.  I could only look on in wonder, but it was all too green for me anyway.

Still is - get on with that Crimson Rambler, chaps.  It's only a paint job.

• RMweb Gold

And a fully lined out GW liveried Wills TVR U1.  I've imposed nominal time limits of 1948-58 at Cwmdimbath, and it is very unlikely that Calcutta ever ventured north of Ogmore Jc, and that only to access the shed inlet.  Were I to be modelling the pre-war period, and someone produce an RTR Bulldog, I'd find it very difficult to resist (Rugby excursion perhaps). 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Covkid said:

Have to disagree.

image.png.f4eb7fd1ea7521974604415f970f005f.png

I happen to think one of these will appear eventually, even though I expect they were only ever green. 

A BR black one with red backed number plates and early crest on the tender would look really nice Hornby, and the pregrouping versions might look good with those 4 and 6 wheel coaches even though they were principally coal engines.

Wonder if "Johnster" would be tempted.   

He of course would be. And why not ? I actually saw one but it was so ingrained with post war muck that the “colour” was immaterial.

• Like 2

I dont buy catalogues though I like the old  PFM brass mini  books .I did love catalogues   as a kid .Pawing through late at night and dreaming ,and  I loved an old Rivarossi catalogue full of buildings as well as trains  .I had Harley Davidson cats in the 60,s  as well as as Gretsch ,Fender and Gibson  guitar worship ones  .Of course they are now worth a fortune .Sadly my Gran committed the cardinal sin you can do to any teenager and chucked them all out while I  was on holiday ,ending my days of cataloque worship .

Catalogues give a good guide as to what has been made?  A classic example of not the case was a catalogue I had many years ago.  It was a Lima catalogue (poss the last one) which proposed models of classes 44, 45, 46 ,90 and 91 IIRC.  :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And a fully lined out GW liveried Wills TVR U1.  I've imposed nominal time limits of 1948-58 at Cwmdimbath, and it is very unlikely that Calcutta ever ventured north of Ogmore Jc, and that only to access the shed inlet.  Were I to be modelling the pre-war period, and someone produce an RTR Bulldog, I'd find it very difficult to resist (Rugby excursion perhaps). 

The 2 surviving Taff vale locomotives are an 01, and an 02. I know the 01 loco fairly well. It's a real mish-mash of different parts. The current (original ) TV cab is from an M1, whilst other bits are from other, unidentified locomotives. Fair play to the restoration team at the Gwili Railway, they are doing a brilliant job. This Con-Vid malarkey isn't helping them. Now, that would be a real worthwhile new model....

Edited by tomparryharry
Free Punctuation Upgrade!
  • Informative/Useful 1

On their website Rails says "There is a real Buzz around this forthcoming launch, and the demand for these NEW products will be HIGH."

I would have suggested this is one of the most "unbuzzy" announcements. I'm not sure if most of us were even sure there would be an announcement. And the suspicion is that if anything is announced it will be ages away.

I wish Bachmann luck but...

Luke

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

On their website Rails says "There is a real Buzz around this forthcoming launch, and the demand for these NEW products will be HIGH."

I would have suggested this is one of the most "unbuzzy" announcements. I'm not sure if most of us were even sure there would be an announcement. And the suspicion is that if anything is announced it will be ages away.

I wish Bachmann luck but...

Luke

Bachmann changed at the beginning of 2020 to making quarterly announcements saying “ the new products featured will all be released within three months of announcement.” - so not ages away

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2020/01/a-new-era-dawns-for-Bachmann-europe/

48 minutes ago, Bluebell Boy said:

Odds on for a newly tooled Manor not only beating Dapol but also the newly announced Accurascale version to the shops - have Accurascale (strategically?) picked to announce theirs 2 days before the Bachmann announcement....

But how quickly could Bachmann bring it to market? Accurascale says the tooling is complete and they are expecting a Q4/21 delivery.  I doubt that Bachmann are that far advanced. And the Accurascale price point of £170 looks like it could well be less than anything Bachmann announces. Wdnesday will tell.

Luke

• Agree 1